HybridZ

260 2/2 weatherstrip

langfordchuck

Hey folks, I am looking for some feedback or ideas from 260 2/2 owners on door weatherstrip.

After much discussions with MSA I bought some door weatherstrip that turned out not to fit, despite being billed as 2/2 parts. Turns out they don't have any actual door w/s for the 74 2+2. Then, because I like to pay shipping charges for no reason, did the same process with the ZCarSource. Then got some parts from charley osborne to round the whole buying experience out (at least his rubber fit, but it was only for the leading edgge of the 1/4 window). :( B/D was at least clear that they don't have this.

The result of this saga is that I have been unable to locate a replacement door weatherstrip that actually works without major modifications.

So, the question is, how have other 1974 260 2+2 owners handled replacing door weatherstrip? Precision does not seem to have a OEM replacement or an alternative that actually works. Is there a source I don't know about?

Alternatively, I figure i can make it work with all the pieces i have acccumulated, but I am not sure how best to glue them together or fit them. Do any of you 74 2+2 ownes have some wisdom to share with me? The major difficulty at this point is the 1/4 window: it has a different leading edge and won't take a normal pinch weld seam, if that makes sense.

I can provide pics if helpful of the 1/4 window edge, but i am also interested in how best to join my multiple pieces to avoid leaks.

I did search but most w/s thread concern tight fitment, and not my specific problem.

thanks all.

Well I had a 74 2+2 and have a 78 2+2 and the difference I noticed was the weatherstipping was on the body on the 74. On my 78 it has rubber on the door jam and the outside of the door window frame and quarter window frame. Is that the way it is for yours?

I cant say what to do on the 74 but you might consider trying to get some of the later model window frames and just get the later weatherstripping. The 1/4 weatherstripping is easily found on ebay and other places. The piece that cant be found is the piece that attaches to the top of the 1/4 window frame. You can just use some of the weatherstripping pieces that go on the top of the door window frame instead of a replacement piece. Its identical just a shorter piece.

On the doors I just bought three couple pieces and spliced it in. Its a little tight now but it should soften up once its outside in the heat.

hmm, thanks, i hadn't thought about swapping windows with a later model. Might try that if my all else fails.

On the 74 the original w/s is a one piece on the body all the way around, on the pinch weld, with an additional piece that slides onto the leading edge of the 1/4 window, to seal the 1/4 window/ door window gap. But apparently all the replacements are now two piece: one for the 1/4 window and one for the door opening.

I assume the splicing operation is straightforward: make mitre cuts and glue together using some appropriate rubber adhesive. I note the stuff from precision looks heat sealed but I suspect this requires special technology.

thanks.

Some pics if this helps.

P1010280_thumb.JPG

profile for w-s_thumb.JPG

P1010288_thumb.JPG