HybridZ

Throttle cable setup - Lockar & custom bracket

Savage42

Thanks for the info. I'll put you down for one. The answer would be that the tall pivot bracket on the early 240s could be drilled at the spot welds and replaced with the later (shorter) pivot bracket. This custom throttle cable bracket will work on the late '72-78 Z cars with the shorter setup. Here's a visual showing the differences.

The later (shorter) pivot.

280Z-06_Pics_290_Medium_.jpg

The early (tall) pivot.

240Z_LS1_Throttle_Cable_002.jpg

Dave (qwik240, shown in pic above) used a choke cable bracket. The only one I could find for sale are ones like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-45-229/ They sell this generic, mass production unit for $17 and $5 for shipping ($23 total).

My bracket will sell for $25, which includes shipping. I'll make up half a dozen, so let me know if you want one. I'll post an actual thread on these in the Vendors section.

They would run $25 and include shipping, if there is enough interest. I figure it's a deal, considering a cable bracket like this from Summit is $17 plus shipping, anyway. ;^)

hly-45-229_w.jpg

I may just make one up for myself in stainless and take some pics.

Put me down for one also. Let me know when and where to send the cash or PayPal.

g

The cable & ends are just the Lockar setup. I ground off both stock balls on the pivot bracket and went to a fastener stir to get the rod that goes from the pedal to the pivot bracket, as I didn't have a clean, OEM ball & socket piece.

Hi Gary, I'm not meaning to be lazy, but is there any way you can provide us the exact part# on that Lockar cable. I have one now on my rb set up, but it's different, and I can't seem to locate the one shown in your image with the clevis (?) type ends. :redface:

Thanks!!

I bought the Lockar cable from Jegs, but I cut 20 inches out of the 48" cable ($61.99), so you can save $12 by going with the 36" version ($49.99). It has the clevis on one end and then the cylinder end for the throttle body that is slipped on the cable and fastened down with the allen wrench.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/TC-1000TPV/10002/-1

I bought the Lockar cable from Jegs, but I cut 20 inches out of the 48" cable ($61.99), so you can save $12 by going with the 36" version ($49.99). It has the clevis on one end and then the cylinder end for the throttle body that is slipped on the cable and fastened down with the allen wrench.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/TC-1000TPV/10002/-1

Perfect!! Thank You :cheers:

OK, do any of you happen to have a couple of Zs (one early and one later) to compare the differences between the two pivots brackets and the relationship between that bracket and the bolt on bracket that the linkage rod to the carbs/EFI goes to? Did they do it for leverage? Did they move the mounting holes for the bracket higher to match the taller setup on the early 240s?

If the holes are higher on the early car, then the bracket I'm making may work on all S30s. Anyone who can help with that info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Gary,

I've got the tall one on my car with the complete setup, and I have a short setup that I got from a parts car. I don't have the actual bracket mounting part on the car for the short one....just the pivot part that fits onto the bracket and pin. If you had another car to compare to locally, then you may be able to compare that with mine? I need to go to Salem soon with my car and we could arrange to meet up if you needed to see it?

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
They would run $25 and include shipping, if there is enough interest. I figure it's a deal, considering a cable bracket like this from Summit is $17 plus shipping, anyway. ;^)

hly-45-229_w.jpg

I may just make one up for myself in stainless and take some pics.

Are they done yet? I'll take one if you accept PayPal.

G

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...