HybridZ

What modifications need done to install BW T5 Transmission?

datsundoug

I have tried searching, but can't find anything specific about this. If you can redirect me to an old thread that answers this, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 1977 280z that has an automatic transmission in it. I have a 77 donor car with a 4 speed manual in it and a 5 spd T5 transmission/driveshaft out of a 82 zx turbo. Will the transmission fit without any modifications? Do I use the drive shaft out of the zx or the 280z?

I guess I'll chime in here since I've been researching this. I had to search and read through multiple threads/posts. I will no address the fact that you will need a clutch pedal assembly and clutch slave cylinder etc. You will need an l28 engine borg warner t-5 transmission. The BW t5 came from the turbo only cars, you can see the difference at zhome.com under the bw t5 link.

The bw t5 will bolt directly to your engine without modification. You will need to use the throw out bearing collar that corresponds to the flywheel/clutch assembly you utilize n/a clutch/flywheel n/a bearing collar etc. the turbo t5 input shaft is specific so best bet is to shorten/balance, Sorry don't know specific length to shorten.

The transmission crossmember will require some modification. From what I have gathered the 280z tranny crossmember is offset and requires slight slotting of the mmember to allow the transmission mount to align. Hope this helps. You're going to have to search and read for anything further.