HybridZ

Stainless Gas tank straps for 240Z

I can make them for the 280 guys but need a pairof used one's for a template. Do you have a set Nigel?

Sounds like a bargain to me. I believe ONE oem strap cost at least that much.

Are you going to make up straps for the 280Z guys too? Unfortunately, I think these will be too short for them...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For now it will be up to the user.

But ...I can be convinced to come up with something as long as it covers my cost. Not a big problem.

In my case I used an Bike interube.

jerry, do you have a plan for material to use where the rubber on the oem straps is adhered or is that something for the buyer to source on their own?

very nice and the price appears to be very reasonable as well.

looking forward to the final product pics.

I can make them for the 280 guys but need a pairof used one's for a template. Do you have a set Nigel?

I have one 280Z strap that I bought back when I tried the 280Z tank in my 240. It's the shorter of the two. From what I recall, that was the last one available in Canada.

Nigel

hi there,this is my first correspondece on this web site.

i dont know if you know this, but the use of stainless steel in contact with normal ferrous steel (as used in car body work,fuel tanks etc) will very quickly cause localised severe corrosion in the ferrous steel due to the dissimilar metals reacting with each other.the only way round this is to insulate the stainless steel from the ferrous by the use of plastic or other type of electrical insulation material. this situation only happens in the presence of moisture,which you WILL get underneath cars.sorry to put a damper on your idea,but you will soon have a holed fuel tank if you go ahead...

hi there,this is my first correspondece on this web site.

i dont know if you know this, but the use of stainless steel in contact with normal ferrous steel (as used in car body work,fuel tanks etc) will very quickly cause localised severe corrosion in the ferrous steel due to the dissimilar metals reacting with each other.the only way round this is to insulate the stainless steel from the ferrous by the use of plastic or other type of electrical insulation material. this situation only happens in the presence of moisture,which you WILL get underneath cars.sorry to put a damper on your idea,but you will soon have a holed fuel tank if you go ahead...

Wouldn't that only be an issue if it's bare metal? The tanks are at the very least painted, and ideally, a rubber isolator will separate the straps from the tank. Jerry has already indicated that he's using bicycle tire innertubes for this purpose...

Nigel

Wouldn't that only be an issue if it's bare metal? The tanks are at the very least painted, and ideally, a rubber isolator will separate the straps from the tank. Jerry has already indicated that he's using bicycle tire innertubes for this purpose...

Nigel

using rubber inner tubes or any similar insulator would be fine.

i just thougt i would post this to make people aware of the potential problems that could arise if stainless steel comes into contact with bare ferrous steel. iam not saying that these straps are a bad idea,i think they are great ,as long as proper precautions are applied.:mrgreen:

You are refering to galvanic corrosion and I dont belive it to be an issue here. Im a chemist by training but dont apply much of that any more....that was once upon ago.......

Firstly our cars , gas tanks and so forth are painted so there is "insulation".

As importantly you require an electrolyte to initiate and maintain this reaction...ie water. The Ions need something to travel through and must be in constant contact for severe corrosion to occure. I know my car isnt wet all the time!....

There are other factors, one of which is the level of current that is produced. In this case there is much less SS than Steel so the current towards the SS would be small, resulting inlittle ion transfer. ...see this link for a detailed explanation...

http://www.ssina.com/corrosion/galvanic.html

This would explain why people use SS nuts and bolts on their auto projects without problems......

Bottom line, Im not concerned but you need to make your own decison.

On that note....10 sets are on order. As soon as they are made sets will be allocated on a first pay basis.

Cheers!

Now I just need the other strap.......hold on to it for me Nigel!

Sounds like a bargain to me. I believe ONE oem strap cost at least that much.

Are you going to make up straps for the 280Z guys too? Unfortunately, I think these will be too short for them...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Now I just need the other strap.......hold on to it for me Nigel!

Yeah, well, I haven't had any luck selling it yet, so it's not going anywhere.

What's the ETA for the new straps? I'll be traveling back and forth to Windsor possibly for the next few weeks, and I could stop by to pick up a set and drop off the 280Z strap...

Nigel

Great stuff...I will take you up on that.

Thanx!!

Hi Jerry

I have the straps from my 76 280 that could be used as a pattern. Maybe I could hook up with Nigel and he could drop them off to you if he's coming your way.

Martin

I do not have confirmation on the j bolts but hope to hear soon. They are on SUNCO order at NISSAN. Lets see what turns up??

Jerry,

I'd like to buy a set of SS straps as well as the J-bolts, for my 240Z.

--JohnG