#21 wigenOut-S30

wigenOut-S30

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationMobile AL

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

scotty, 1999 sonoma with rb20det swap and yes....... hope to cruise down with garrett

im not gonna get thrown out for not having a nissan am i ? :D

SCOTTY YOUR GOING TO MAKE IT!!! awesome!!.. I have been wanting to see that Sonoma dude!! Too bad the Z isnt done though mang...

1977 S30: L28 turbo/intercooled:385rwhp 390TQ:11.56@122

gallery_372_579_19959.jpg

#22 SonOfZZZap

SonOfZZZap

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationSEATTLE

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:34 AM

I have work this Saturday, so sadly I will not be attending :(
"I bet you didn't have to steal your own turbo car.. did ya? That's what I thought..."
~1976 280Z~ :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
~1977 280ZT~ SOLD Man I miss this car... :icon_frow
~1984 300ZXT 50th AE :flamedevi ~ Wrecked:fmad:(but fixable)

#23 scottyMIz

scottyMIz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts
  • Locationmi

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:21 AM

SCOTTY YOUR GOING TO MAKE IT!!! awesome!!.. I have been wanting to see that Sonoma dude!! Too bad the Z isnt done though mang...

lol yea been plannin it since last year, the z will prolly be done next year. There was just so much to do to it yet so i figured why rush? The body kit is going on it now and after that i will swap the vette irs in it. The rb30 is almost ready i just need some rods and a gasket set. I cant wait to finally get down there and meet some of you guys
rb20det powered sonoma
rb25det powered 280zx
rb30det powered 280z

#24 Z-Gad

Z-Gad

Ludicrous speed, GO!

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1479 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA 17268

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:22 AM

I see my brother and Silver Bullit have a little smack talk starting up. I know this is a roll call section for DNI but have not seen ZGad, Speeder and some other regulars sign in yet to go.

John

John & Jerry ...
Due to a Memorial Day Weekend in-law gathering in OH, I will not be making it either.
Besides, I still am having boost fluctuation issues, but trying to work through them...
(Latest theory is that the wastegate may be too large for this turbo, engine combo and dumping too much air when opened, causing a spool-up, spool-down issue, AKA compressor stall...)

Have a great time all, I'll be thinking of you on Saturday.
<p>71 240z was 2JZGTE (8.915 @ 153.60) , LQ4 turbo (9.3@152 So far...)http://videos.street...8e90005d70d.htm - 8 second pass with 2JZ drivetrain
78 810 wagon with some plans
16 WRX daily
03 Ford Excursio-saurus 4x4 Diesel

#25 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

WHAT??? It won't be the same without you. I was looking forward to seeing the new beast. But sounds like you still have gremlims. Besides its probably still snowing in OH, LOL. Have fun and I'll try to get some video for you to drool over.

Dale

John & Jerry ...
Due to a Memorial Day Weekend in-law gathering in OH, I will not be making it either.
Besides, I still am having boost fluctuation issues, but trying to work through them...
(Latest theory is that the wastegate may be too large for this turbo, engine combo and dumping too much air when opened, causing a spool-up, spool-down issue, AKA compressor stall...)

Have a great time all, I'll be thinking of you on Saturday.

'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#26 quicker240

quicker240

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationALABAMA

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

So how many cars does it look like at this point? I'm pretty sure Ted's not gonna make it either... . Is John Phillips coming? , I'm gonna hide John and Jerrys bottle and make them run me, them on motor, me on bottle... if they give me the move...
71 240z 408sbc,edelbrock proflo fi,w/p,alum heads,eagle crank,eagle rods,1.6s,6al,fuel cell,arizona z 5 lug w/wilwoods and coilovers. 10.94@122.08mph 1.61 60' 3.70LSD

#27 wigenOut-S30

wigenOut-S30

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationMobile AL

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:26 AM

Wonder if there is going to be any L28's I can line up against this year? Since Garrett's motor is in rough shape, he is bringing his Ka-t S12. I think Im the only one coming from the Mobile Area.

#28 jnjdragracing

jnjdragracing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationWest Columbia S.C. 29170

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

It would be a good race us on motor and you on the bottle. I think at Pinks all out in Charlotte we ran a 10.93 and then a 10.98. My brother talked to Jon Phillips and he is not coming, but wished everybody luck and a safe trip.

John

So how many cars does it look like at this point? I'm pretty sure Ted's not gonna make it either... . Is John Phillips coming? , I'm gonna hide John and Jerrys bottle and make them run me, them on motor, me on bottle... if they give me the move...

No Need To Go Through Life Scared......

#29 misterZ

misterZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPanama City, Florida

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

Wonder if there is going to be any L28's I can line up against this year?

Hey Gabe, if I end up on the track I'll line up with you for grins--this being my first attendance of this event I don't know the rules but wouldn't mind getting a time slip. The web site is blocked (I'm @ work) so I can't read the safety rules... what is the minimum required to race, e.g., helmet, cage, etc?

I really just planned to spectate but all this hype is making me anxious to see what my (stock) car can do. I wouldn't push it too hard since I'm waiting for my diff mounts to come in and fix that 'clunk'. I do have to make the trip home so I also fear breaking something. : /

#30 wigenOut-S30

wigenOut-S30

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationMobile AL

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:54 AM

awesome sounds great!.. Here is a cut and paste of the NHRA Rules
Some great info...

To prevent radiator overflow from leaking onto the track, NHRA requires an overflow can of at least one pint in volume. This can be as simple as routing a radiator overflow tube into a windshield washer reservoir.

All cars should also be equipped with a proper battery hold-down, even when the battery is in the stock location. Factory stock hold-downs are acceptable in this case. Otherwise, bolts of 3/8-inch diameter must be used to retain the battery. Lug nuts are another area of concern, especially with aftermarket wheels. NHRA recommends all cars be equipped with open-ended lug nuts to allow the inspector to verify the length of thread engagement.

Obviously, all lug nuts and studs must be in place. For slower cars, this isn’t a critical point, especially when using O.E.M. wheels. But with faster cars and aftermarket wheels, the concern is that the lug nut engage the threads of the stud for a distance at least equal to the diameter of the stud. Inquire at your local track as to what the tech inspector will accept.

Since fire is an ever-present threat, NHRA specifies no more than a total of 12 inches of rubber fuel line in the fuel delivery system. This includes the rubber line between the pickup and an external fuel pump and also between the fuel pump and carburetor. In the case of an accident, rubber line is susceptible to damage that could cause a fire. Investing in either steel hard line or braided-steel fuel line is both wise and far safer than using rubber fuel line. Some type of reverse lockout for aftermarket shifters is also required for all cars.

NHRA requires a DOT, SNELL or SFI helmet for any car quicker than 14.00. There are a number of different specs so you should check with your local tech inspector.

For cars that run e.t.’s between 12.00 and 13.99, all of the above requirements apply along with the addition of a driveshaft loop. A new-for-’95 rule exempts cars running 13.00 and slower when equipped with street tires. Since traction is the key to going quick, this places more strain on the driveshaft. To prevent the driveshaft from breaking at the front U-joint area and perhaps coming into the interior of the car, or digging into the track and pole-vaulting the car, NHRA mandates that a steel loop be placed just behind the front U-joint of the driveshaft. A universal driveshaft loop is available from Lakewood that bolts to the floorpan. A rollbar is required in this e.t. bracket only if the car is a convertible.

By the time a car is capable of running between 11.00 and 11.99 seconds in the quarter-mile, safety requirements are especially important. Up until this point, factory seatbelts are acceptable, but in the 11-second-and-quicker time zone you need a quality safety harness. The minimum requirement is a 3-inch-wide, five-point harness meeting SFI spec 16.1. The 1995 National Hot Rod Association Rulebook outlines the proper way to mount the shoulder harness and belts.

An NHRA-legal rollbar is also required in the category. Recent rule changes have reconfigured what NHRA classifies as a rollbar. The classic four-point bar is no longer acceptable. The new standard is mild-steel tubing of at least .120-inch wall thickness (most chassis companies, like Art Morrison, use .134-inch wall tubing) that includes a forward-running side bar from the main hoop past the driver’s shoulder. This bar is only required on the driver’s side, but most systems include both sides for a six-point rollbar.

An SFI-approved scattershield is also necessary in this e.t. category. NHRA requires the scattershield to have an SFI aluminum-foil sticker. According to Red Roberts of McLeod Industries, older bellhousings can be certified by sending the scattershield and block plate to the original manufacturer. The company will inspect the housing and if it passes, it will receive an SFI 6-1 certification. Most SFI certifications are good for five years. Contact your manufacturer if you’re not sure.

The clutch and flywheel must also be SFI certified. The main consideration in this area is to avoid using a cast-iron flywheel. According to Roberts, sometime in the mid-’70s most of the new car companies began using nodular iron flywheels that are much safer. Most, if not all, current high-performance aluminum and steel flywheels are safe when used in conjunction with an approved scattershield, but the rules state that the pressure plate and flywheel need an SFI certification number. Roberts says the best plan is to record all your SFI numbers in a logbook. This makes it easier for the tech inspector and it shows the inspector that you understand the importance of the inspection process. This e.t. level also requires steel valve stems in all wheels, along with arm restraints for open-cockpit cars like roadsters.

Cars running between 10.00 and 10.99 need all the above-mentioned safety equipment, plus driver’s protective clothing, aftermarket axles and an SFI-approved harmonic balancer. The driver needs to have at least a single-layer, SFI-approved jacket such as those sold by companies like Diest, Simpson, RJR and others, as well as long pants and approved driver’s gloves.

The aftermarket axle requirement also extends to installing a C-clip eliminator kit in any rearend that uses a C-clip to retain the rear axle, such as the GM 10- and 12-bolts and the Ford 8.8-inch rearends. While the current NHRA axle rule does not include an SFI spec for axles, experienced axle manufacturers such as Summers Brothers, Mark Williams, Strange and others offer axles intended for this kind of abuse.

Harmonic balancers first became a subject of concern on blown cars that placed enormous loads on the balancer driving the supercharger. Now, any car running quicker than 10.99 needs an SFI-approved harmonic balancer to be legal. Companies like Vibratech, TCI, BHJ and others can supply the necessary legal part.

A new NHRA safety rule change for 1995 states that cars running between 10.00 and 10.99 must have a rollcage unless the car has an unaltered firewall, floorpan and body (except for wheeltubs). This means if you have a street car with a stock floorpan and firewall but have tubbed it for bigger tires, all you need is a five-point rollbar until the car runs quicker than 10.00. Of course, a rollcage is perfectly acceptable if you wish to install one.

Now we’re into the really quick cars, those running from 9.00 to 9.99 seconds in the quarter. These cars are blazingly fast and capable of speeds approaching 150 mph. Significant improvements must be made to the car in order to step into the 9-second zone. Foremost among these is a rollcage. The cage must be constructed of mild-steel tubing at least 15/8 inch in diameter, with .120-inch wall thickness. It can also be chrome-moly tubing of .083-inch wall thickness with a total of eight attachment points. These eight points refer to the placement of the cage surrounding the driver, including the two rear support bars. NHRA does not require bars that run forward to the front suspension, although many cage designs include them. All cars running 9.99 or quicker must have the cage certified by NHRA and have the NHRA certification sticker attached to the cage.

Attached to the cage is a window net to keep the driver’s arms inside the car. The driver must also wear a neck collar and fireproof clothing meeting an SFI spec. Additional requirements include an NHRA competition license, an external electrical shutoff and a flexplate/automatic transmission shield. If your car can run over 150 mph in the quarter, as many of these cars do, then NHRA also requires a parachute to help slow the car down. Now that we’ve primed the pump, your best bet is to obtain a 1995 NHRA Rulebook for $10 and carefully read the E.T. Bracket General Regulations section. The Rulebook specifies exactly what will be required depending upon your car’s e.t. capability. Drag racing with fast street cars is tons of fun. It’s even better when you do it safely.

#31 misterZ

misterZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

awesome sounds great!.. Here is a cut and paste of the NHRA Rules
Some great info...

To prevent radiator overflow from leaking onto the track, NHRA requires an overflow can of at least one pint in volume. This can be as simple as routing a radiator overflow tube into a windshield washer reservoir.

I don't think I'll break 15 and seriously doubt I'd ever get close to 14> with my stock set up having smog, A/C and those boat anchor bumpers--not to mention worn mounts! Oh yeah, add another buck for stereo eq. lol

What did you turn when you were stock (pre-turbo)? I'm thinkin' you'll need to give me 3.2 - 4 sec? :mrgreen:

#32 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Assuming you have a stock 280Z with 149 HP weighing in at 2900 your 1/4 mile time should be around 16.5 according to http://robrobinette.com/et.htm Of course there are all sorts of varibles but I punched in my specs 265 RWHP at 2905 it said 12.93 which is almost exactly what I turned last year.

I don't think I'll break 15 and seriously doubt I'd ever get close to 14> with my stock set up having smog, A/C and those boat anchor bumpers--not to mention worn mounts! Oh yeah, add another buck for stereo eq. lol

What did you turn when you were stock (pre-turbo)? I'm thinkin' you'll need to give me 3.2 - 4 sec? :mrgreen:

'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#33 wigenOut-S30

wigenOut-S30

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationMobile AL

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

When I got this Z it has a lower compression 3.0 ltr stroked motor. I ran a 15.7

#34 misterZ

misterZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

When I got this Z it has a lower compression 3.0 ltr stroked motor. I ran a 15.7

Ok, I need a 5 sec handicap `cause I know you did some tuning! :icon45:

Realistically, it's prob not in my best interest to abuse the car; however, I wouldn't have a problem running a road course for fun... who knows, enough smack talking and peer pressure may get me on that track yet!

Looking forward to meeting everyone but my son has finals Friday so we don't anticipate rolling in there `till ~7p at the earliest.

http://forums.hybrid...3&pictureid=563

I think Im the only one coming from the Mobile Area.

No RB-Zs coming? Awww..... I was hoping your homies were coming too!

#35 Warren

Warren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

We'll all still be there...we usually stay up till around 2:00AM shooting the shirt in the parking lot... Don't worry, you CAN'T be late.

Just remember folks, NO starting cars and revving them past 9:00 at night...Please be respectful of other guests, and NO BURNOUTS in the parking lot. The Byron PD will be on patrol that night as it's a long weekend. They (all 4 of them) DO NOT PLAY.

There will be plenty of time to race your cars at the track...no need to get a fast driving award before (or after) the event.

#36 240hoke

240hoke

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1429 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

ALso as far as the rules...they are pretty lax. Here is what you needto make sure you do:

Radiator Overflow canister present (and drained)
NO batteries inside the passenger compartment (unless in a good box)
Battery Well Secured
Throttle Return spring (if you are still mechanical ;) )

That all they checked on me....and they gave me alot of ♥♥♥♥ about having a DRY CELL metal jacket battery in a aluminum case in my car!!!!!!!

They never checked for DS loops or harnesses etc.

1971 240z w/ VQ35DE

www.HokePerformance.com

Modern Performance. Vintage Style. 

FaceBook Page

#37 scottyMIz

scottyMIz

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1016 posts
  • Locationmi

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

i'll run you gabe,you will whoop my arse but it will all be in fun. My truck the last time at the track on stock rb20 turbo and stock boost ran 15.0@93mph i cant do burn outs because of wheel hop so i cant launch good either. My 60 foots were like 2.5's with that 15.0 time. Im just about to go outside and adjust my pinion angle to see if it helps. There will be at least one rb powered viehicle there :D oh and when i ran my 76 280z stock i managed a 15.5 but my bumpers were off and i put qa 5sp in it.
rb20det powered sonoma
rb25det powered 280zx
rb30det powered 280z

#38 wigenOut-S30

wigenOut-S30

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationMobile AL

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

i'll run you gabe,you will whoop my arse but it will all be in fun. My truck the last time at the track on stock rb20 turbo and stock boost ran 15.0@93mph i cant do burn outs because of wheel hop so i cant launch good either. My 60 foots were like 2.5's with that 15.0 time. Im just about to go outside and adjust my pinion angle to see if it helps. There will be at least one rb powered viehicle there :D oh and when i ran my 76 280z stock i managed a 15.5 but my bumpers were off and i put qa 5sp in it.

Heck yeah Scotty!! sounds like fun!!

#39 jnjdragracing

jnjdragracing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationWest Columbia S.C. 29170

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:13 AM

Hey guys, time is almost here. What time does everybody think they will be ariving at the guest hotel? We are trying to decide what time to pull out Friday. It is usually a 3.5 hour drive for us.

It will be nice to relax some and see some old friends and also meet new friends.

Hope everybody has a safe trip. We will travleing I-20 west towards GA for a good ways. If anyone has a problem give us a call and we will try to help. My cell is 803-600-1754.

See Ya Soon....

John
No Need To Go Through Life Scared......

#40 rytherwr

rytherwr

HybridZ Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationLeesurg, GA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:04 AM

Hey John...I'm still thrashing (what a surprise eh) and it's your fault! :o) You will understand when we meet up...depending on when I get done, I plan on getting there mid to late afternoon. Everyone be safe and see ya there.

Wayne
'71 240Z, Twin-Turbo,Fuel Injected 406 SBC, powerglide, 9 inch Ford, 3.89's, Moser axles, full cage, etc. (5.76 @119 in the 1/8 mile), 2007 Lexus LS 460, 2008 Lexus LS 460, 2003 Toyota Tundra

If there ain't no waves, who's doin' the paddlin'?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users