HybridZ

KA24 swap...

k1evo2

Ok so im working on a swap. Ive got a '74 240z. and like most of you out there i want to do oh so much to it. well also out in storage i manage to have a nissan altima i use to race around in, but some unforunate wear on it has left me to have to replace the manual transmission on it. not an easy thing to come by. so working on the next best thing. since the motor is solid and knowing how much fun that engine can be, i want to drop it into my Z. Between a buddy and me we manage to come up with needing a 240sx 5 speed tranny, found one (FREE), needed a 240sx header and driveshaft. so moreso im worried bout how well it will match up.. is there any real mods to body i should be given a heads up about?

i mean this is my first swap on the Z so just trying to get an insight to what i should expect. :burnout:

Are you sure the trans bolts up to the FWD block?

I know for one your intake will be facing the wrong direction.

Also, the people that do this swap normally use the RWD version which bolts nicely to the SR cradle(s) you can buy. I think you're on your own as far as getting mounts and parts.

well although it is out of a Altima.. Its still a KA24.. and since its from a FWD setup. it does put out more then a stock s13 240sx. all the more reason i want to roll with it. and yes it will pair with a 240sx tranny. minor tweeking to air intake obviously and exhaust, but but its what ive got to work with.. so why not take advantage of it..

What year is your motor? I have a s13 stock manifold with the egr tube and a 5 speed driveshaft that you'll need for the input shaft. P/M me if you need it.

93 gxe , but yeah im totally into finding some more parts so please let me know whats out there...even if its stock. something is better then nothing right now... i just hate to see the car sit for so long.

• 2 weeks later...

i guess i'm all for using what you have but how are you going to get the fwd block to work in the z? i guess last time i checked the block mounts where cast difforently for fwd cars. i guess pardon me if i'm wrong but making mouts to hold the weight of the engine and transmission safely might be a bit more work using that block. correct me if i'm wrong i'm not to familiar with altima's just asking the un asked.

McKinney Motorsports kindly replied to my email with the following:

"The KA24DE 240Z Mount Kit is the same kit as the 240Z SR20DET Mount Kit $499.99+shipping and surcharge."

Thats because the kade' and sr's use same stock mounting systems in s13's and s14's, so an aftermarket setup for the z would work for both :D

I don't think that the 240sx header will really be an issue. I have both altima and 240sx exhaust manifold.

What I think will be and issue are:

having to fab up a custom oil pan.

the distributor clearance issue against the firewall.

reversing the intake manifold from facing "back" of the block.

I think it will just be easier to find/buy a 240sx engine. A stock engine goes for $200-$500 :P.

Still will have issues with:

removing/running with out a power steering pump (you think, oh thats just simple, but you will see :P).

front sump clearance issue.

• 1 month later...

Do you know someone with a little Fab skills? It doesn't take much to make some mounts yourself. You could take a short welding class at a community college, you be amazed the amount of knowledge you gain in just a few weeks.

Also, make sure your Distributor will clear your firewall, If im not mistaking, I noticed on front wheel drive nissans the location of the distributor is different, I could be wrong

your going to need a 240sx KA if you plan on doing the swap.

you can buy a blown or spun KA out of a 240sx for less then 150

you need to transfer the heads and everything including the 240sx timing sprockets and chain tensioner's ect. accesories sensor's besides the shortblock onto the altima engine and wala you have a good engine that will fit perfectly into an s30 with minor clearance issues on the front crossmember.

tranny bolt holes are the same

This is actually what i do when i blow a KA its a good way to get a non abused KA to just pull an altima engine that was an automatic break it down to a shortblock and just keep swaping out shortblock's also you get a leakfree engine in the proccess =)

No more little drips/pools in the garage =)

engine mounts are the same

• 1 month later...

hehe Yeah I just bought a Good KA24DE out of a 93 240sx with Low Kilo for $225 I said I was poor but I also offered to fix his piece of Crap Fords Manual gear box soooooo LOL..

Anyone in need of a VG30DE got one from an infinity swap I did for a customer.. Runs good

hehe Yeah I just bought a Good KA24DE out of a 93 240sx with Low Kilo for $225 I said I was poor but I also offered to fix his piece of Crap Fords Manual gear box soooooo LOL..

Anyone in need of a VG30DE got one from an infinity swap I did for a customer.. Runs good

Got the tranny?