HybridZ

Crankshaft Seize?

WizardWorks

Hey guys, im in the process of rebuilding my engine and I had finished installing crank, pistons, main bearings about a week ago and the crankshaft turned fine.

I just finished rebuilding the head and went to move piston to TC but the crankshaft wouldn't budge.

Any quick ideas to alleviate this problem? I don't really want to tear down the block again.

Check to see if valves are hitting a piston. If you bolted the head down without checking the valve timing you may have interference from valves hitting the pistons. You may also have bent some valves when torquing it down!!

hope this helps.

Mongo

Look at the rod fit to the crank. Wiggle each rod big end front to back and see if you get a clicking sound. This will tell you if the rod is locked on the crank. Use a slender pry bar for the rods that are rotated up in the block. If you have to use a screw driver for this make sure not to chip it.

If there is no side to side play then loosen these rod bolts some and and see if the crank will turn.

Check the last rod you installed as you had to rotate the crank to get to that one...

As you assemble an engine it is a good thing to check this after torque of each rod.

Hope that helped,

Alan