HybridZ

What motor mounts fit well for a RB swap?

Hi everybody, yesterday I bought my First S30, a 1978 280Z. (2 seater)

The L28 is getting old, and I had a RB20 laying around, so I want to put that engine on the Z.

I was searching...and I found that some people used Z31 mounts...are those Z31 mounts for the 200ZR? Or are the same mounts used on the regular VG30 Z?

Thats my question...Im not afraid to do custom mounts (A friend will do them :mrgreen:)

Thanks for any advice.

RB20 engine mounts will work with minor modification. By minor I mean drilling 1 hole in them. It mounts the engine slightly further forward than most people put it but it works and leaves plenty of room for a radiator and fans up front. Worked for me at least.

If youre looking for aftermarket I believe McKinney makes mounts for RBZs.

You want to mount the motor as far back as possible because it weighs 250 lbs more than the L block. There are many threads about mounts, here's a few comments that I cut and pasted:

Motor Mounts

I've got the billet engine mounts Rick Wong makes for my rb-z project which require 86-87 Toyota Supra Turbo rubber insulators. What I did was went online and ended up getting them from Advanced Auto Parts for a lot less than oem ($75 each) price, and they worked fine on my car. The part number was 12361-42030. Rick goes by the name skyline240z here. You can PM or email him through the site. http://forums.hybridz.org/private.ph...pm&userid=8634

Or buy aftermarket insulators for $3 each and they’re 2/3†lower http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL…part number=2265 or Pioneer Inc. part# 602265. Also interchanges with # M2265 and 270-2265.

Or use the stock JDM driver side motor mount with a fabbed USDM driver side is about as low buck as it comes. Use the tranny to set the motor in straight and fabricate in place.

I cut and welded the original aluminum mounts.

P1200704_thumb.jpg

P1200705_thumb.jpg

Mexicali is in BAJA, our sister city is Calexico (92231), environmental laws in Baja California are very lax, so I dont care about running Megasquirt.

And about the mounts, I didnt know how heavier was the RB20, so I guess custom mounts are mandatory, the McKinney mounts are somewhat expensive, I cant afford them :(

• 7 years later...