HybridZ

"Legal" LS swap

is there anyone here that had actually gone through the whole process of making a documented legal v8 swap in california?

this is the future path that i am going to take. i was just wondering if anyone had actually done it. im in the starting process (gathering info) so it would be great to know someone that had actually gone through the process so i have someone i can refer to when i have issues.

Future plan:

1978 280z

LS2 t56

all emission hooked up

state refree certification

400 street legal horsepower :flamedevi

I watched a friend put my LT1 with automatic into a V12 Jaguar coupe. He used John's Broken Kitty kit. Followed John's instructions, used all stock Chevy Lt1 parts except for the manifolds, which were earlier SBC parts with AIR.

Passed the sniff test and approved by the referee station. Not difficult, but a lot like going to DMV: it took time and three visits before the outer smog stuff was all approved.

The lesson he learned was to buy every thing at one time from the donor car. The Jag was originally equipted with dual cats... so he had to include dual cats and hook up the before and after cat sensors.

I learned that the best first step is stop by a referee station [hard to find and sometimes an appointment must be made] describe your swap and your vehicle. The staff will often provide you with a list of precisely what will be required of you. Great to get this before you start collecting parts.

Bear in mind that there are differences between LS1, LS2, LS3, or LS4. If your engine drops cylinders [LS2] like DOD you can expect the referee will expect that it would be fully functional.

They are very sensitive to changes or deletions in the power module [cpu.. whatever].

There are lots of horror stories about California Smog, but it is doable. They can be very anal about the proper smog equipment. Don't expect to use any part other than the exact part for your model engine. If any part on the swap is not original and year correct and does not have a BAR waiver, it most likely will not be allowed.

An example: John's swap requires the use of SBC ram's horn exhaust with AIR fittings. The LT1 manifolds have AIR fittings, but the manifolds are not ram's horn.

The referee station accepted the ram's horns, but only after some discussion [begging, crying, & whining] about BAR approved headers with the AIR fittings.

So... Again, the best advice I can give you is to talk to them before you have your vehicle up, get their opinion of what you would need and follow it. Finally, don't even consider using a truck engine. Not permitted and they know where to look to make the ID.

I would look for a complete LS1.

Go for it.

G

i have had a ca smog license(expired ) and converted older cars-not with obd2 compliant engines.there is a z in sf bay that is fully legal-i talked to the owner at a z show day.he used the original gas tank-the obd2 motors go thru a gas tank purge cycle .some lsx motors have an electric air pump that is run during warmup.cat converters have to fit the chassis-that o2 sensor after the cat is a cat monitor 02 to check cat functon.its possable but you almost need the whole wrecked car to get all the little parts you might need.the factory service manual from gm will be needed for the wiring.its not impossable-just a lot of work

I live in Ventura and am keeping my '75 280Z smog legal with a 2000 Trans Am LS1.

Basically if you do not have the entire donor car (which I have) you will have a shitty time trying to get all of the little parts you need.

There is a referee station in Oxnard, which when I have some time am going to get my laundry list of things I will need to keep on the Z from the Trans Am. When I get it I will post it up here.

I live in Ventura and am keeping my '75 280Z smog legal with a 2000 Trans Am LS1.

Basically if you do not have the entire donor car (which I have) you will have a shitty time trying to get all of the little parts you need.

There is a referee station in Oxnard, which when I have some time am going to get my laundry list of things I will need to keep on the Z from the Trans Am. When I get it I will post it up here.

kool id like to come by someday and check your project out. i live in oxnard, literally down the street from the referee station. if youd like we can exchange info, just pm me.

I'd parrot Geezers commentary. Ive helped with scads of Turbo conversions to Maximas, and even a couple of earlier Z's (after being duly impressed by Randy's car at an MSA show years ago...) I have been contemplating an early 90's LT swap into a ZX. Having assisted my bud in New Jersey do a 94 LT into his 74 Camaro and then get it through their cursory check, I learned a lot about the wiring harness, and the wonderful program TunerCat that lets you access the engine parameters and mapping through the OBD2 port. Almost like having a standalone EFI.

Look for a complete donor car that has been heavily rolled or something along those lines. The 94 that my bud got his donor from cost a whopping $1800 because it was wrapped around a pole. Only after digging through the documentation in the glove box did the engine block with no serial number make any sense: P.O. had put a new LT Service Replacement in, along with a Goodwrench Remanufactured transmission...18 miles before he totalled it wrapping it around a telephone pole!

The newer stuff I'm not up on, but the GM Manuals are darned good at explaining the functions of the ECU and vehicle systems/computer function. You want that manual from your donor, it will save you time and headache in the long run...and you will know what the Smog Guys are going to be looking for since you read the book before taking it to them! Right? You will read the book...please say yes! LOL

I'd parrot Geezers commentary. Ive helped with scads of Turbo conversions to Maximas, and even a couple of earlier Z's (after being duly impressed by Randy's car at an MSA show years ago...) I have been contemplating an early 90's LT swap into a ZX. Having assisted my bud in New Jersey do a 94 LT into his 74 Camaro and then get it through their cursory check, I learned a lot about the wiring harness, and the wonderful program TunerCat that lets you access the engine parameters and mapping through the OBD2 port. Almost like having a standalone EFI.

Look for a complete donor car that has been heavily rolled or something along those lines. The 94 that my bud got his donor from cost a whopping $1800 because it was wrapped around a pole. Only after digging through the documentation in the glove box did the engine block with no serial number make any sense: P.O. had put a new LT Service Replacement in, along with a Goodwrench Remanufactured transmission...18 miles before he totalled it wrapping it around a telephone pole!

The newer stuff I'm not up on, but the GM Manuals are darned good at explaining the functions of the ECU and vehicle systems/computer function. You want that manual from your donor, it will save you time and headache in the long run...and you will know what the Smog Guys are going to be looking for since you read the book before taking it to them! Right? You will read the book...please say yes! LOL

YES...this project is not happening anytime soon, i want to do a complete thorough research on this before i get started. the reason i want to do this legally is because i already have a car thats not so "street legal" (S13/RB25det) and driving that car, it feels like i always have to look over my shoulder to see if their is any "popo's" around. But yea a donor car is definately the way to go, probably cheaper in the long run. where do guys usually find these donor cars?

Like he said, donor cars are cheap especially if you look around. My 2000 Trans Am LS1/T56 clearly had been in a driver's side front impact but everything was repaired. I got the car for $3900 and drove it >500 miles from Reno NV to Ventura CA no problems. I asked around junk yards, ebay, and craigslist, and unless it was on craigslist w/ an automatic (which I would never do), I spent less for the whole car then I would have just for the motor/trans.

I found the donor on Craigslist, I literally searched every area listing in CA with searches from LS1, LS2, GTO, Firebird, Camarro... I had found a GTO w/ LS2/T56 for $5k but it wasn't drivable plus the guy sold it over the hour I was thinking about it. Lesson learned, good deals go fast.