HybridZ

Subaru WRX STi R180 Side Axles

johnc

Does changing the input flange effect the preload?

I've never been inside a diffy. What's involved in changing the input flange on the R180?

While I haven't swapped one before, I don't believe you have to crack open the diff to remove the flange. If I'm correct you simply remove the bolt on the front of the diff snout, and use a puller to remove the snout. The new flange should just press right in.

While I haven't swapped one before, I don't believe you have to crack open the diff to remove the flange. If I'm correct you simply remove the bolt on the front of the diff snout, and use a puller to remove the snout. The new flange should just press right in.

That's exactly how I did it. Side flanges are changed the same way. It's a lot easier with an air gun.

That's exactly how I did it. Side flanges are changed the same way. It's a lot easier with an air gun.

That will make the install a lot easier and less expensive. We have an air gun, STI LSD and stock diffy. I guess all we need is the new output shafts that John is working on.

Hi, I am super keen to get a set of the axles. I have an event in Easter 2010 and really need to get the diff converted by then.

Otherwise I'll be travelling 700miles at 60 miles per hour doing 4000 rpm.

Then at the event I'll be limited to 120 miles per hour at 8000 rpm.

If I can get the conversion done I am hoping to hit 140 miles per hour.

Any way I can convince you to sell me a set early?

Initial test results: First autocross with new WRX STi CLSD with betamotorsport (John Coffey's) axle adapter stub in my 240z. Took home first in class trophy. Closest competition (Mustang GT 4.6 was 4 seconds behind me). Everybody is shaking my hand and asking what I did to my car! I think they figure I went to a drivng school. Last month I wasn't even respectable. I have never had any other single more significant performance enhancement than LSD. I just can't describe the new-found confidence that I had when launching, accellerating out of turns. I've been grinning for 2 days.

Nope, John's not paying me. But I am still grinning! I'm just really stoked to have LSD after 20 years of Z ownership - it really seem that I am driving a totally different car. My old rearend was an open 4.11 out of the front of a 4X4 truck, unknown mileage. It made a lot of noise but really helped with accelleration over the 3.54 - when I had traction. At drags, drag radials solved the problem, but in the corners at autocross I always unloaded my inside wheel and gave up time. Now it is like, push down and hang on! The improved times speak for themselves.