HybridZ

Subaru WRX STi R180 Side Axles

johnc

I sent the PO today to my machinist for 40 side axles (20 sets). The pricing will be $250 each or $500 for a pair not including new studs. If Nissan comes through with the new studs that I've ordered and paid for, then the studs will be $4.96 each for an additional cost of $19.84 per side axle ($39.68 per pair) installed.

No ETA yet.

$600 sounds about right. I picked mine up in Craig's List for $200.

Used clutch-types (R180) to fit a 240Z are hard to find, very expensive, and getting parts might be hard. I can only find one new LSD (R180) to fit the 240Z, and it's NOT a clutch-type. AND, it costs more than putting in a STI unit.

The Subaru STI (not WRX) should be good up to 400 HP. They are a direct bolt-in with John's new output shaft. They're near new and easy(er) to find. Replacement parts (aftermarket) are plentifully and lower cost. I have not checked the OEM parts yet.

The total price for this near-new STI LSD (clutch-type) is a bargain compared to the price of a beat-to-death, 30 year old unit.

(I guess I said that already.)

$200 is incredible. The best I could find on craigslist so far is one for exactly $600.

Does anyone know off hand a good place to source replacement parts for the diff? Out of the gate I'll probably pull the cover to inspect it, and go ahead and replace that gasket, and one of the diffs I'm looking at now is missing it's filler plug.

Just as an FYI -- I've read recommendations on various forums to either use Motul 90PA fluid, or to just stick with the stock Subaru LSD oil. Also torque spec on the drain and fill plugs is 36.2 ft-lb, and the factory service manual recommends using "three bond 1105" thread sealant for reinstallation.

Just remember ratios and LSD type differ depending on the year (which may affect pricing):

3.9 ratio:

2004, 2005, 2008

3.54 ratio:

2006, 2007

CLSD:

2004, 2005, 2006

Torsen LSD:

2007, 2008

I'm not sure what came in 2009 and 2010 STIs (that's why I didn't list them above).

Edited by mrcheeze36
Forgot to add 2006 to CLSD

In a Private Message I was asked:

in a post on JohnC side axles vender page you mentioned that sti diffs can take up to 400hp. any idea of the torque?

and thought I would share my answer with you all as it does pertain to the thread discussion.

I am actually guessing that the 06 STI rear-end can handle 400 HP. I basing this on several things:

1) The 06 STI is a 3300 pound car.

2) It has 300 HP and 300 foot pounds of torque.

3) I have seen advertisements for STI axle upgrades to handle 600 HP.

4) But' date=' I have never, never seen any thing saying the stock LSD also needs to be upgraded.

The real question is, "How long can it handle 600 HP?"

By lightening the car, you can increase the HP. A stock 240Z weights 2500 pounds. No doubt the STI LSD can handle 400 HP in a 2500. And this 2500 Z-car can be lightened.[/quote']

and one of the diffs I'm looking at now is missing it's filler plug.

The filler plug is just a standard pipe plug that can be purchased at any hardware store for a few dollars. There is no "metric" or "American Standard" pipe threads. This is a world-wide standard "tapered pipe thread" with one (1) thread pitch.

Lets hope no dirt and water decided to make a home inside the open door.

Guest robsr510

Do you guys happen to know if the halfshafts in your Zs share the same out put as in the 510? I have an 08 sti diff that I have been looking to put in my 510 but dont have the money at the moment to convert to CV just yet and then i came across this.... looks promising but I have no experience with the Z cars so I'm not sure if it will work for me.

RacerZ -- Thanks for the info! I decided to go the safe route and just picked up an 05 differential with no "open doors". For the sake of others also on the hunt, I paid $500 shipped for it.

Also as a word of warning to anyone considering using the later model Torsen-based diffs (07+), apparently they use a different weight differential fluid. According to some threads that I've read, do _not_ use Motul 90PA with these diffs. Motul 300 is apparently more appropriate, but out of safety sake, I'd simply use the Subaru fluid spec'd for the diff as that's what owners seem to have the most success with currently.

To echo RacerZ's sentiment in terms of what the diff itself can handle, my research on several Subaru forums leads me to believe that in high torque applications, it's the half-shafts and/or u-joints that are going to be our weakpoint, not the differential itself. Of course, anyone with genuine concern on this front should do their own homework prior to investing in a solution that may not allow them to reach their long-term goals. Personally, I'm going to use RT's front differential mount solution to straighten out the driveline angles, upgrade to the 1-0029BF u-joints, and hope for the best. =)

Do you guys happen to know if the halfshafts in your Zs share the same out put as in the 510? I have an 08 sti diff that I have been looking to put in my 510 but dont have the money at the moment to convert to CV just yet and then i came across this.... looks promising but I have no experience with the Z cars so I'm not sure if it will work for me.

I don't have any "hands-on" with the 510's. I have stumbled upon tid-bits here and there in forums, so I speak without knowing the truth here.

I'm pretty sure the 510 has a R160 diffy. I'm pretty sure that the R160 and R180 share the same housing (510, 240z, Subaru) making them directly interchangeable. I think I read that the Dimes (510's) do use the R180 from the 240z as an upgrade without needing to modify anything.

Again, I have no hands-on here and don't know the realities.

You might try this 510 club, The Dime Quarterly

In a Private Message I was asked:

and thought I would share my answer with you all as it does pertain to the thread discussion.

Thanks for the info RacerZ!!

i will be posting a similar question on http://www.iwsti.com/forums/ to see what they say. from what i researched on the forum people are running boat loads of torque(400-500lbs) through these diffs pretty successfully.

Thanks again!

Please remember that the STi is 4WD with a pretty sophisticated center diff in some cases. The R180 in the back is typically seeing 50 to 65% of the power that the engine is putting out. The ring gear in the R180 is 7" and is smaller then the ring gear in a V6 ford Mustang. Keep that in mind.

Guest robsr510
I don't have any "hands-on" with the 510's. I have stumbled upon tid-bits here and there in forums, so I speak without knowing the truth here.

I'm pretty sure the 510 has a R160 diffy. I'm pretty sure that the R160 and R180 share the same housing (510, 240z, Subaru) making them directly interchangeable. I think I read that the Dimes (510's) do use the R180 from the 240z as an upgrade without needing to modify anything.

Again, I have no hands-on here and don't know the realities.

You might try this 510 club, The Dime Quarterly

the 510 uses a r160 and the r180 bolts right up to the car, all I was wondering is if the halfshaft bolt pattern is the same between the 510 and the Z. If that is the case then I would be able to buy these side axles and use the diff in my car with converting to CVs.

I have heard the same thing that people are able to swap in the 240z diff without modification but Im just trying to confirm this before shelling out $500

johnc - have all the 20 sets been spoken for yet?