HybridZ

Subaru WRX STi R180 Side Axles

johnc

No sets have been spoken for. I have a list in the first post in this thread of those that are interested and when I have the side axles ready to ship I'll contact the first 20 people on the list and offer them a set. Everyone I contact will be given about a week to get payment to me and I'll ship the same or next day when I get the payment if by PayPal, Credit Card, or Cash. If paid by check I'll wait until the check clears and then ship.

After about a week I'll offer any sets I have left to the remaining people on the list in order. Once (if) all 20 sets are sold I'll wait until I have some more folks interested and then make another production run. Unfortunately, I need to make them in batches of 40 (20 sets) to get the price where it is. I don't have the money to do a larger first production run.

Also, for those on the list, please do not send me any money until I contact you. I've already had one person do that and I sent the money back. I'm not going to sell these side axles until I have them in hand and am happy with the quality.

I'm still in. We have everything needed (I think) and ready to go.

We're going to reseal ours while it's out of the car. Should cost about $40 for the three seals and one gasket. If you're having trouble finding seals at a fair prices, the STI seals cross-referenced to the 240Z seals. Subaru wanted over $100 for one seal and Kragen wants $10 for the 240z part with the same stock number. (Impreza, WRX, STI, 240z share the same seal set. I bet the 510 interchanges as well.)

If the 240Z seals don't fit, I will let you all know.

RacerZ -- Have you read up on the replacement procedure for the input shaft at all? The output shafts appear as simple as using a seal puller and popping the new seals back in, but I'm concerned that the input shaft will require essentially pulling all of the guts out. Any idea? Thanks!

RacerZ -- Have you read up on the replacement procedure for the input shaft at all? The output shafts appear as simple as using a seal puller and popping the new seals back in, but I'm concerned that the input shaft will require essentially pulling all of the guts out. Any idea? Thanks!

No, I haven't. My brother, beermanpete, seems to think the side seals will be as you described and that the input seal will be the same as the side seals. Pete is seldom wrong, but we haven't actually done this job yet.

Does anybody have any hands-on with this? Was it as easy as I think it will be?

Removed and inspected betamotorsports' prototype WRx R180 CLSD to Z-car (adapter) axle stubs yesterday after drag racing with them this winter. Found no wear or cracks - they look as good as the day I installed them. Had no leakage around the seals - the specifications and machine work are perfect. I'll let JohnC do the official promotion for these, but I can tell you that I am very pleased with this product and I have two, equally long, black streaks leading from my driveway that attest to my enthusiasm. This is a simple, cost-effective way to make a dramatic improvement in the performance of your Z. Feel free to pm me for questions about the installation - it was really easy and I don't work on cars for a living.

How about S302wrx john john side axles.:)

The WRX uses a 25 spline shaft and the STI uses a 27 spline shaft. This will fit on one and not the other. Hopefully it's the 27 spline version cause that's what my diffy has.

Do you guys want in progress pics ? The mat'l was delivered today.

Yes, I would like to watch the progress.

John.

From this picture ...

Installed-2_thumb.jpg

it seems as if you took the differential flange from the stock 240Z R180 and placed it on to the STi R180 LSD unit with your modified shafts. This would seem to indicate you can use the stock driveshaft provided you have an existing R180 flange to swap over to the STi unit. Is this correct? Earlier in the thread you talked about a custom drive shaft being made. The rear cover shows the mustache bar mounting bolts are longer on the STi unit. Did you swap the differential covers or is this not necessary? They seem nearly identical aside from the bolt length.

I got my STi 3.9 LSD differential today ... so I am anxiously awaiting.

That picture was from the guy doing the testing of the prototype side axles. He swapped the front pinion flange and the side axles I'm making have the 240Z halfshaft flange dimensions. The rear cover is stock STi as far as I know.