HybridZ

Subaru WRX STi R180 Side Axles

johnc

Winter is just about over here in Alabama and the tracks are starting to re-open. I'm looking forward to getting my Z back on the track with John's axle stubs and my new Subi LSD. The latest pictures from the machine shop look great. Guy's, you are going to love this LSD conversion! It is simple and bullet-proof. Just finishing up installing a line-lock (AKA roll-control) and a drifting hydraulic handbrake in my 240z. If anybody needs hints on how to do these mods feel free to PM me.

Regarding installing the studs:

They are a tight press fit. You should be able to tap them in with a hammer. Wire brush and clean up the shoulders on the studs and try placing the studs in the freezer for an hour before tapping them in. We cut the holes based on new studs from Nissan and older studs may be a tad bit larger OD due to use, dirt, etc.

Ours arrived today thanks John. Looks great and you have been a pleasure to deal with, very fast and cooperative.

If Greg gets some spare time he's going to try and get them in his Bre car before some runs at Bathurst at easter. We'll be sure to let you know how they go.

Thanks again, top quality product!

SubiSideAxleAdapters.jpg

Three things...

1) These axles seem to stick out a bit farther then a stock unit. Am I right about this?

2) It looks to me the retaining clip is internal to the diff, again am I correct?

3) What kinda fluids should I run in this thing... We like redline in the tranny, do they have a product anyone would recommend?

Three things...

1) These axles seem to stick out a bit farther then a stock unit. Am I right about this?

2) It looks to me the retaining clip is internal to the diff, again am I correct?

3) What kinda fluids should I run in this thing... We like redline in the tranny, do they have a product anyone would recommend?

The STi R180 was designed for CV shafts so the stand-out is a bit more then with the Datsun R180. It also looks farther out because I didn't build the stamped steel shield that covers the side seals. The retaining clip is internal to the diff. Run any GL5 gear oil.

None right now. I've traded e-mails with Todd at Wolf Creek and talked on the phone with Troy Ermish but no decision has been made yet.

Hi John. Can you do something like what member Nizzan did to his outer CV housings? If so, please let me know.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/73182-subaru-sti-r180-differential-and-axle-conversion-revised/page__p__696189__fromsearch__1entry696189

Hi John. Can you do something like what member Nizzan did to his outer CV housings? If so, please let me know.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/73182-subaru-sti-r180-differential-and-axle-conversion-revised/page__p__696189__fromsearch__1entry696189

No plans to do a CV conversion - there are already two good vendors selling CV setups for the S30. You can buy the CV conversion setups from Wolf Creek Racing and Troy Ermish Racing which will then bolt up to the side shafts I sell.

My new output shafts arrived the other day :) :)

They look good!, just like the pictures in a previous post.

We're not quite ready to do the install, but I did fit one.

It fits like a glove!

Awesome work John and datrod!

When we get to the job of installing this unit, I will take some pictures and write up something. I'm sure it will be as straight-forward as it seems.

Thanks again to John at Beta Motor Sports and datrod.

Mine came today via FedEx ground. As the other posts have already stated they are beautiful. On the preparation of the '05 STi R180 unit. It has already been discussed that the mounting bolts on the rear cover are a bit long. Has anyone used the 240Z R180 cover to see if it's a direct replacement for the STi? I happen to have a spare cover and gasket, so I was curious. On the front STi R180 flange, I suspect you'll need to swap that with the 240Z R180 flange. It seems to work with my 280ZXT driveshaft, but the pattern isn't right for the 240Z ones. Is any rust prevention needed? I didn't know if the metal used had any chrome added to the alloy or not.