HybridZ

Subaru WRX STi R180 Side Axles

johnc

Hmmm. That part # isn't a valid #. Maybe there's a typo?

In addition to the part #'s I typed above, here's a listing of PNs for 510 halfshaft bolts/nuts/washers:

(from http://carfiche.com/...9/510/3/k13.gif, part #s 27/28/29, Fiche 3/6, K13,section 63-2):

Bolt 39628-2100 or 39628-E4100

Nut 08911-2410 or 39627-N3000 supercedes to 39627-E4100

Washer 08915-1410

I dunno, we shall seecool.gif

Well they came in today...PN 38228-21000 Bolt Fix D/S and they are the correct ones. Eveybody make note of that part number cool.gif

Well they came in today...PN 38228-21000 Bolt Fix D/S and they are the correct ones. Eveybody make note of that part number cool.gif

That's great news Russell!

Could you upload a picture of one?

Did you order nuts & washers as well? If so, which PNs?

I'll make a note of that PN and add it to my earlier posting.

The item is listed on the following link under part #82, but strangely enough, doesn't match the fiche diagram (The halfshaft bolt is the fiche diagram here is not labeled):

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun510/Datsun510Index/PowerTrain/GearCarrier/Sedan/tabid/778/Default.aspx

My Nissan parts guy still swears by PN 39628-E4100, but this bolt is $1.50 more EACH than your PN. Same description too.

Why pay $24 more for 16 bolts if I don't have to?

I'll try & order some of each and post pictures as well.

Maybe the difference is the smooth "D" head vs hex head on the bolt?

My Nissan parts guy also says the nut & washer PNs are the ones I posted earlier.

Nice work!

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I chatted w/ my Nissan parts guy today.

These ARE the correct PN for 240z halfshaft bolts.

They are $1.50 ea less expensive than the PN 39628-E4100 bolt for the Datsun 510 halfshaft. Nobody knows why.

I still don't know the difference, as the 510 and 240z use the same halfshafts.

I ordered some of each, but the 240z ones are on backorder, w/o any estimate of when they'll be back in stock.

Dtsnlvrs got lucky!

Edited by StrutlessWonder

PN 38228-21000 Bolt Fix D/S

Those are the parts I was trying to get through Courtesy and Performance Nissan with no luck (actually, I got 12). Both tried ordering through Nissan Japan and after two months Nissan Japan said, "NLA." I think there are quantities on dealer shelves around the country so its a hit and miss. I suggest you contact your local dealer first and then work dealers in other states. Pricing varied from $6 to $2 per bolt depending on which parts guy I talked with.

Just finished installing a Hurst Roll Control system. All the local tracks are open again for the spring and I'm hoping to get to strip Sunday. John's axle stubs have performed flawlessly thru testing last fall and winter and I'm looking forward to some better 60 foot times with the improved traction that my CLSD provides. Anybody else finished the conversion?

PN 38228-21000 Bolt Fix D/S

Those are the parts I was trying to get through Courtesy and Performance Nissan with no luck (actually, I got 12). Both tried ordering through Nissan Japan and after two months Nissan Japan said, "NLA." I think there are quantities on dealer shelves around the country so its a hit and miss. I suggest you contact your local dealer first and then work dealers in other states. Pricing varied from $6 to $2 per bolt depending on which parts guy I talked with.

My Nissan parts guy said these are on backorder, but that Nissan was going to have it's vendor make more in next 30-90 days.

I just picked up the Datsun 510 equivalents today (yes, they ARE in stock, and cost $1.50 each more than the above bolts).

These bolts have a hex head, just like the orig ones on my 510 halfshafts.

The set of 16 bolts/nuts/washers plus CA sales tax were $75 with my "nice guy" discount.

Might be an alternative if you can't wait for the 38228-21000 to come back in.

39628-E4100 d/s bolt

39627-N3000 nut

08915-2401A lock washer

• 2 weeks later...

John, do you still have that last set?

Well I got my set a couple of weeks before Easter. Made the modifications and installed the subi diff. Had it all in just in time for Mt Panorama :D I don't know what my top speed was but with the 3.9 diff 280zx 5th gear and 16 inch wheels I was doing 6500 RPM (I know there are speed calculators around but something is wrong because they tell me I was doing 150MPH Which clearly I was not. But I Was going quite fast all the same.

The diff was and still is flawless. Even did a motorkhana (kinda like your Autocross) less than a week after the mountain.

John C if you ever make it down under I owe you a beer.

FYI... a member just mentioned that the VLSD diffs have an asymmetric spline with three larger cuts. If so, the side axles I sell will not work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but STi R180s are either clutch-pack LSDs or Torsens. I didn't think they came in a VLSD version.

Non-STis did come w/ VLSDs, mostly R-160s.

Hitachi VLSDs use a longer stub on one side (to engage the VLSD unit) and a shorter, "normal" stub on the other side, IIRC.

I wasn't aware of any VLSDs that came in 27T spline, but hey..I learn something new every day!

I also learned that STi diff dust shields (baffle) don't fit John's stubs. The ID of the shield is MUCH bigger--DUH--which I would have seen if I'd just looked at my STi axles more carefully.

Best,

-Kurt

My Nissan parts guy said these are on backorder, but that Nissan was going to have it's vendor make more in next 30-90 days.

I just picked up the Datsun 510 equivalents today (yes, they ARE in stock, and cost $1.50 each more than the above bolts).

The set of 16 bolts/nuts/washers plus CA sales tax were $75 with my "nice guy" discount.

39628-E4100 d/s bolt

39627-N3000 nut

08915-2401A lock washer

I looked up the bolts in the 240Z parts list and found the following:

38226-21000 Bolt, fix side flange 1.45

Inboard end of drive axle

39628-E4100 Bolt-Box, Driveshaft 3.46

Outboard end of drive axle

39627-E4100 Nut-Hex M10x1.25

Supercedes to 39627-N3000

39627-N3000 Nut-Hex M10x1.25 0.77

08915-14010 Washer-Spring

Supercedes to 08915-2401A

08915-2401A Washer 0.09

The 510 parts are:

39628-21000 Bolt-Driver

Supercedes to 39628-E4100

The inboard bolt is shown in the diagram but is not marked with a legend, so it cannot be selected to get a part number.

The prices are from http://www.factorynissanparts.com.

I know the discussion is about the bolts that hold the inboard axle flange to the output shaft on the differential, but the part numbers in the discussion are for the wheel end and have different part numbers. If I recall correctly, the bolts are each end are different.

Also, from what I can tell the oil seals and cover gasket are the same on the original Datsun R180 differntial and the Subaru LSD R180. I ordered the oil seals from factorynissan.com.

I ordered all these parts from factorynissanparts.com today. I will post when I receive the parts and let you knwo if they work.

Peter

Regarding installing the studs:

They are a tight press fit. You should be able to tap them in with a hammer. Wire brush and clean up the shoulders on the studs and try placing the studs in the freezer for an hour before tapping them in. We cut the holes based on new studs from Nissan and older studs may be a tad bit larger OD due to use, dirt, etc.

John - What's the Nissan Part Number of this "new stud"?

• 2 weeks later...

39628-E4100 d/s bolt

39627-N3000 nut

08915-2401A lock washer

Link to pictures of installed hex-head bolts. Note hex head must be properly clocked to clear raised lip on stub:

39628-E4100 D/S Bolt

and

39628-E4100 D/S Bolt (side view)

Hope this helps.

Best,

-Kurt

Wondering why my post count is still 0 and how many posts I need before I can post pictures directly.

Link to pictures of installed hex-head bolts. Note hex head must be properly clocked to clear raised lip on stub:

39628-E4100 D/S Bolt

and

39628-E4100 D/S Bolt (side view)

Hope this helps.

Best,

-Kurt

Wondering why my post count is still 0 and how many posts I need before I can post pictures directly.

Posts in the Vendor forum don't count towards the post count total since they are often non-tech in nature. Yours are so I bumped your post count.

I looked up the bolts in the 240Z parts list and found the following:

38226-21000 Bolt, fix side flange 1.45

Inboard end of drive axle

39628-E4100 Bolt-Box, Driveshaft 3.46

39627-E4100 Nut-Hex M10x1.25

Supercedes to 39627-N3000

39627-N3000 Nut-Hex M10x1.25 0.77

08915-14010 Washer-Spring

Supercedes to 08915-2401A

08915-2401A Washer 0.09

The 510 parts are:

39628-21000 Bolt-Driver

Supercedes to 39628-E4100

The inboard bolt is shown in the diagram but is not marked with a legend, so it cannot be selected to get a part number.

The prices are from http://www.factorynissanparts.com.

I know the discussion is about the bolts that hold the inboard axle flange to the output shaft on the differential, but the part numbers in the discussion are for the wheel end and have different part numbers. If I recall correctly, the bolts are each end are different.

Also, from what I can tell the oil seals and cover gasket are the same on the original Datsun R180 differntial and the Subaru LSD R180. I ordered the oil seals from factorynissan.com.

I ordered all these parts from factorynissanparts.com today. I will post when I receive the parts and let you knwo if they work.

Peter

I received the parts finally. It turns out I made a mistake looking up the part numbers for the inboard bolts. The part number listed above (38226-21000) is the long bolt that holds the output shaft into the differential. Sorry about that.

The correct part number for the bolts needed for the drive axle flange is 38228-21000, which John posted several weeks ago. I have requested this part from factorynissanparts.com. Maybe I will get lucky and get some.

As it happens, factorynissanparts.com is run by Nissan of McKinney in McKinney, Texas. I have received good service so far.

I will let you know if the Nissan seals fit in the Subaru LSD, but it will be a while before I can get to work on that part of the project.

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have had my Subi LSD in for a few months now and its great.

However my LSD is a 3.9 I think. I did a bit of a search but I can't see anyone that talks about swapping the Subi LSD centre into a datsun R180?

Has anyone tried to swap the Subi LSD centre into a datsun R180?

I know I will still need the subi side shafts I got from JohnC but I want the 4.6 ratio from my old diff. any ideas?