HybridZ

New Ford 5.0L "Cayote" V8

sulla

Was just looking at Fords new 5.0L "Cayote" V8 and with its smaller heads and lower intake looks like it would fit really nicely into a zcar. It also is also supposed to have 400hp in the base mustangs. Of course this will all be around 2011 so who knows but sounds good.

phpthumbgeneratedthumbnlh0.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the mod motor - longer, taller, wider, heavier than the pushrod distant cousins -- with care, you can build more power, lots more torque down low for much less money. Unless you just have to have ohcams and multi-valves - and if that's the case, keep it in the family and drop an Infiniti V8 in...

• 5 months later...

Here is a shot with the beauty cover on the engine.

50%20lead%20in.jpg

Ahh you noticed that it was not as wide across as other DOHC 4.6L's too.

DOHC 4.6L's are 26 5/8" wide (5.4L is 28 1/4" wide.) I havnt found any specs on the Coyote yet but it is buzzing over at Mustangforums.

The weight of the engines can be seen at sullivanperformance.com

engineweight.jpg

Over from corvetteactioncenter.com they say a dressed LS1 is:

'01 vette LS1 Dressed Engine Weight:

Auto. - 457.6 lbs. (208 kg)

Manual - 497.2 lbs (226 kg)

HotRod Mag says 430lbs for the LS1 aluminum block.

No accessories or manifolds is 390lbs.

I have an 03/04 Mach 1 crate motor that I bought for my Mustang but went a different way with it. I was able to push it around my garage on its pallet without a prob, so 425lbs is pretty accurate not to mention I trust what SullivanPerf has to say.

I have been tooling around with the idea of putting my DOHC 4.6L into my 93' Z.

I've lurked on the forums for a long time now and decided its probably time to show that I am here. So w00h00 for my first post! :D

Dimension Specs: Credit to SullivanPerformance.

EngineHeight.jpg

yup, its been on mustangforums.com for a couple days now! Exciting times. :)

The only thing I have some questions about are the sprayed in Iron sleeves. Ford hasnt released official information about this engine yet but some have said that it may feature sprayed in Iron sleeves, a technology that Ford says will cut down on production costs, make the engine lighter, promote better oiling and offer less friction.

I am thinking though that rebuilds will be costly as this material would have to be sprayed back into a prepped block. Time and trials will tell.

Another thing to worry about with sprayed in Iron sleeves is the potential for block failure under boost or big shot Nitrous applications. The block will also not be as rigid as it would be with cast sleeves.

Lets hope that these redesigned blocks have meat in all the right places to keep them from being an expensive grenade!

Well one of the main things they wanted to do also was making it dependable. And dependable running 400+HP. Since I assume they have a plan to increase the horse power over time. For example in the cobras etc. Any way time will tell but it seems really interesting so far.

Yea, Ford doesnt want to be left behind in the Horsepower wars and this was a very good step for them.

There have been rumors or a "RoadRunner" code named project which is an all aluminum Twin Turbo 5.0 or 5.4L to be placed into the GT500's.

Hell the GT500 could really gain from a lighter engine, the damn car is 4000lbs!

We are suppose to get more info today (Mon 12/28/09) but we will see.

It makes wonderful sense that Ford would move to twin turbo's.

Turbo's dont have a parasitic loss like superchargers, though the trade off is that you dont have the instant torque that a nice positive displacement roots supercharger offers.

There are tons of other trade offs to a TT vs SC vs Comp systems.

It would be really nice if Ford offered both setups and even a compound boost setup where the twins feed the Eaton TVS blower. :D

I was also just searching around and I found that the Q45 engine (26.771") is almost the same size as the DOHC 4.6L (26.625") infact it is slightly larger.

There have been a few people that have done the Q45 swap which means that we will have no problems with DOHC 4.6L or Coyote swaps. :D

Of course that is always a good byproduct of a turbo system but I dont think that GT500 buyers will care too much about that. :D

Ford is trying to be more green though while making more power and so far the ecoboost and Duratec 3.7L look good. The Coyote will even be more green than the ol 3V.

Ford released more pictures and official info today, here is the MuscleMustangs site.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/mmfp_1004_2011_ford_mustang_5_liter_engine/index.html

Some photos from inside.

mmfp_100400_03+2011_ford_5_liter_TiVCT_four_valve_engine+.jpg

mmfp_100400_06+2011_ford_5_liter_TiVCT_four_valve_engine+.jpg

And as you can see here it seems like the new 5.0L mod block has a narrower build, that timing chain cover cant be as big as other 4.6L DOHC's!

mmfp_100400_07+2011_ford_5_liter_TiVCT_four_valve_engine+.jpg

Even though this engine has smaller more compact heads than other 4V mod motors it still ships at 430lbs (Where my 03/04 Mach 1 DOHC 4.6L shipped at 425lbs.)

I dont know what the bore or stroke is yet but there is more material there to make the engine a little heavier.

Stock my 4.6L is a 3.552" bore and a 3.54" stroke. Where a 3.75" stroke with a 3.572" bore brings her up to 5.0L which is a common stroker kit for the 4.6L.

I found the bore and stroke of the Coyote on Fords media site.

Bore 3.63 in x Stroke 3.65 in

If this thing has clearance enough for the 3.75 stroker crank we are talking about a 5.1L 310ci engine instead of the stock 5.0L 302ci, not very much and not really worth it seeing that the stock crank is forged.

Now Saleen has a 3.80" stroker crank which puts the displacement up to 314ci and 5.1ci.

On this note, the Saleen 3.80" Forged Steel Crank is a great upgrade if you choose to swap out those powdered rods and hyp cast aluminum pistons for a set of Forged rods and forged aluminum pistons. You get a rock solid shortblock with 12ci more.

Now if the cylinder sleeves are not sprayed in and can be bored over a little this is what you get.

0.020" over with 3.8" Stroke: 318ci 5.2L

0.030" over with 3.8" Stroke: 320ci 5.2L

Now if we can sleeve these like other aluminum 4.6L blocks then this is what we get with Dartons 3.70 sleeves.

3.700" Bore with 3.8" Stroke: 327ci 5.3L

3.725" Bore with 3.8" Stroke: 331ci 5.4L (This sleeve does not exist as it doesnt work with the old 4.6L blocks, but who knows with this new one.)

Now the 5.3L 327ci stroker sleeved block might be worth it to guys looking for big power but the cost is about $200 a hole and the Saleen unit is well priced running around $500-800.

The Saleen 3.80" Stroker crank is a forged steel Crankshaft made by the same people that made the 03/04 Cobra crankshaft, Kellogg.

With 412hp that means this engine is making 1.364hp per cube, so 25 more cubes would mean 34hp more in stock trim (more or less,) but with power adders that figure grows, but being that we are already at 11:1 CR The only streetable option is nitrous.

With full bolt ons and tuning I could see this engine making around 500bhp as a 327ci N/A stroker.

Now remember, a 5.3L version all just fun and speculation, we will have to see more info about this motor and wait for people to start playing with it before we know for sure. :)

Edited by NeoTokyo
Im da stats man!

i have had 2 4.6 powered tbirds and i was a fully certified ford tech, im kind of a ford guy in disguise ive lost my way recently but...

i think shoving a 4.6 into the z's would kind of be a waste. If anything just buy a PI motor SOHC motor and get a stroker kit for the engine and be done with it. Those 5.0 motors are going to probably have way more electronics in them compared with the older 4.6 motors, meaning more complicated to operate at the correct factory HP. That coupled with the size to, i think it would be a PITA to do any work on the motor where anything to break

don't get me wrong i love the modular motors, but damn are they heavy, thats a big penalty in a little car that is already a little porky

I am a Z32 guy, if the slightly wider Q45 engine fits then the Ford DOHC 4.6L will fit.

Joey did you not read any of the facts that I posted?

The PI motor is 75lbs more than the DOHC versions.

Also the only electronics that you would have to worry about with the Coyote is the wireless TB in which you would just swap it out for a standard cable version and use the wiring harness from a 99+ DOHC mod motor and modify where you need to.

There may be knock sensors like in the 2010 GT500 but we dont know yet, you can also take those out of the tune if using a Cobra or Mach 1 ECU.

Its not hard at all and by far not a waste of a 4V.

Edited by NeoTokyo
A DOHC 4.6L IS NOT A WASTE IN A Z32!