HybridZ

Evaporator/blower upgrade?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,

The other day as I was riding to work in my '00 Saturn "work car" w/the A/C blowing strong and cold I was wondering if the entire evaporator/blower assembly from a late model car like that could be swapped into a "Z". Yea, I know it would take a bit of fabbing, but it probably would pay dividends when the weather turns hot and humid. I read about blower upgrades and that is definitely an option but I like the idea of having a complete setup which is a little less antiquated. Also could use the modern switch panel which I feel could fit in the stock console. I read something about 'RX7 blowers working. I owned a first and second gen. car and I think the first gen. setup is a pretty good candidate but the second gen. cars were known to have logicon problems so I would probably bypass that option.I am going to look into this a bit more and will post if I come up with anything of interest.

I would welcome any input,etc.

Terry Walton

'75 280(returned from the grave after a year of hiding the receipts from the wife)

I used a Hot Rod system from Vintage Air. It fit under the dash great with a slight mod. It's for large Hot Rods so it should cool fine in a Z. As soon as I get the car and air going I'll let you know how it worked.

Guest Anonymous

Someone mentioned a Civic fan motor as being a bolt in, can't recall the year civic though. Its probably in the archives..

As Mike said, Vintage air makes all sorts of different packages that include heat and air. If I would have had the cash when I had my dash out I would have seriously looked into it. Looked like a matter of mounting the unit, hooking up the vent/defrost hoses and the heater/ac hoses, the controls (depending on the model Vintage air used) are on a small little panel that could be fit into the stock dash with a little cleaver engineering. Or just use the panel in another spot and enjoy the area taken up by heat controls in the stock dash for additional gauges/switches.

Regards,

Lone

[ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]