35 replies to this topic

#1 Warren

Warren

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationMarietta, GA

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

As you hopefully already know, the 2009 DNI Shootout was rained out. Several of the brave souls who came out, chancing the rainout, expressed a desire to hold the event some time soon, while others said we should wait until the fall.

I'd like to get your input on when you think we should have it, and possibly where, if not Silver Dollar Raceway. Once I get a general consensus of what ya'll desire to do, where and when, I can coordinate with the track owner and reschedule it.

So let's hear it. Here is your chance to output your input. :) I'm open to ALL suggestions.

Thanks,
Warren
82ZXT with Lotsa Stuff. Click this to see my project page

"Experience", n., What you get when you don't get what you want.

#2 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:52 AM

Well you know me Warren, I'll go anywhere anytime. But I really don't see anything wrong with Silver Dollar. Its a small track so there should be fewer non-DNI cars to deal with which equates to more runs with less waiting time. It would be nice to run at a more modern track like Charlotte but with that comes more rules and restrictions. For me being able to walk out onto the track at Silver Dollar to shoot video is a plus. I wonder if I would be allowed to do that at a bigger facility. Motels are pretty reasonable and close by as opposed to prices near the "big city" tracks. I realize moving somewhere else might bring in more DNI people which would be very cool and I'm all for that too. So I guess I prefer staying at Silver Dollar but would not object moving to a new track if it would bring in more participants.
'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#3 jnjdragracing

jnjdragracing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationWest Columbia S.C. 29170

Posted 31 May 2009 - 05:40 AM

Warren I know June we are busy, July is hot and many people are probably on vacation. August might be a good time? I would do a poll.

The tracks: Charlotte would be good except you can not see the runs / passes from the pits, rules really apply to cars running 10.99 and faster with slicks,But at all tracks anti-freeze is a big no no. but like Dale said they will be more strict. I know we have a few good tracks here in SC. Carolina Dragway in Aiken which is a good hooking track but will be crowded usually and we have Florence Darlenton which is not crowded usually unless they have a big event and tech at both places are not strict. As a matter of fact We have never gone through tech at Carolina dragway and they both are 1/4 mile tracks.

Reynolds is okay with us also. Again we need to have it place and time where we can get the most people to come out and join us.

So hybrid Z members please speak up if this is something you want to attend.....

John
No Need To Go Through Life Scared......

#4 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:17 AM

No anti-freeze on any car or just 10:99 cars??? Surely they don't expect street cars to swap coolent to run on test and tune days. That is such a PITA on an LT1.

The tracks: Charlotte would be good except you can not see the runs / passes from the pits, rules really apply to cars running 10.99 and faster with slicks,But at all tracks anti-freeze is a big no no. but like Dale said they will be more strict. John

'77 280Z - Newly built LT1 4 bolt main, LT4 hot cam kit. 4L60E/Transgo shift kit. 300ZX LSD, Wolf Creek CV axles. MM 5 lug front hubs with Silvermine Stage 4 front brakes - MM 5 lug billet rear stub axles and disc brakes. Molded side skirts and ZG flares. 2905 lbs with a full tank.

#5 JSM

JSM

Giggigty Giggity Giggity

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1417 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

My selfish self says have it in Orlando, FL!

1971 240z Project
2002 Nissan Frontier

2006 Toyota Sienna

#6 280zx 2by2

280zx 2by2

I beats da cat to teh cookie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationValdosta GA

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

Location... I say have it a SGMP on a test and tune day http://www.racesgmp.com/

Time/date... ASAP!!!!! that means basically before school starts back....

my $0.02

#7 misterZ

misterZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPanama City, Florida

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

So let's hear it. Here is your chance to output your input. :) I'm open to ALL suggestions.

Thanks,
Warren

Being new to this scene and having made the trip to Reynolds, I think it's a good 'centralized' location for just about anyone east of the Mississippi (and for those not far west of it). If the event is moved to the east coast, I could see participation falling off from the mid-west down thru tornado alley(?). I would suggest staying somewhat within that same geoloc; any tracks in TN or AL?

Not that it counts, but I for one would probably pass if I had to drive more than 8 or 9 hrs to this (one-day) event. :-( A weekend event (if possible) might draw more participation; even if we only had one track day, the other could be show/shine + dyno day (something to that effect?). Just my two pennies.

#8 wigenOut-S30

wigenOut-S30

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationMobile AL

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

We have a drag strip here in AL.. Montgomery motor sports park. (this is where the first SEZ shootout took place). Also there is little taledega road course thats not too far from the 1/4 strip. Maybe eventually a weekend event could happen with use of both places.. but that being said.. The folks at silver dollar raceway are bar none the nicest people to deal with and the track is always clean,-Grounds are well maintained and the area is not bad either.

1977 S30: L28 turbo/intercooled:385rwhp 390TQ:11.56@122

gallery_372_579_19959.jpg

#9 jnjdragracing

jnjdragracing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationWest Columbia S.C. 29170

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:15 AM

No Anti-Freeze in any cars. If it boils over due to running hot or blown head gasket etc... the track will be down a while for cleanup. Anti-freeze is hard to clean up. Some tracks will post if anti-freeze is found in car they will be disqualified / banned for life from the track.

John

No anti-freeze on any car or just 10:99 cars??? Surely they don't expect street cars to swap coolent to run on test and tune days. That is such a PITA on an LT1.

No Need To Go Through Life Scared......

#10 misterZ

misterZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:18 AM

We have a drag strip here in AL.. Montgomery motor sports park. (this is where the first SEZ shootout took place). Also there is little taledega road course thats not too far from the 1/4 strip. Maybe eventually a weekend event could happen with use of both places...

Heck yeah, that's got my interest piqued! That'd be sweet!! I know y'all like to go fast in a straight line but for those of us that are more into cornering, I'd think I died and gone to heaven if I could get on a road course. HOOAH!!!

#11 280zx 2by2

280zx 2by2

I beats da cat to teh cookie!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationValdosta GA

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

I think SGMP would be a good choice because its literally 1 1/2 miles from exit 32 on I75, there are a lot of hotels in Valdosta, to many restaraunts to shake a stick at, and a very nice track and facility

they might be a little pricey but if you guys arent renting a track then they do test and tunes all summer i belive, oh and theres the whole pay $1000 and you get the parking lot for the weekend for drifting and auto cross :D

http://www.racesgmp....rack-rentals.da

#12 Evan Purple240zt

Evan Purple240zt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts
  • LocationMadison area, WI

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:26 AM

Wow, must be a southern thing for the coolant. I understand the reasoning but there is no way in hell I will attend if I have to run straight water.

Evan
1995 240sx....
1972 240z RIP

#13 RB26powered74zcar

RB26powered74zcar

XXXXXX

• Super Moderators
  • 4461 posts
  • LocationLouisiana, 70601

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

We have a drag strip here in AL.. Montgomery motor sports park. (this is where the first SEZ shootout took place). Also there is little taledega road course thats not too far from the 1/4 strip. Maybe eventually a weekend event could happen with use of both places.. but that being said.. The folks at silver dollar raceway are bar none the nicest people to deal with and the track is always clean,-Grounds are well maintained and the area is not bad either.

Heck yeah, that's got my interest piqued! That'd be sweet!! I know y'all like to go fast in a straight line but for those of us that are more into cornering, I'd think I died and gone to heaven if I could get on a road course. HOOAH!!!

I definitely make those trips if it were to a AL. (Mobile?) area track. :2thumbs:

RB26dettZ pics

th_April_2012006.jpg ®

#14 misterZ

misterZ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:34 PM

I definitely make those trips if it were to a AL. (Mobile?) area track. :2thumbs:

Posted Image®
Click ~ rb26dettZ pics
> Photo Show

Off-topic but thanks for sharing pics of your ride; thoroughly enjoyed them and can't wait to see that incredible machine in person some day. Love the beamer HIDs! Very nice work!! :rockon:

#15 wigenOut-S30

wigenOut-S30

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationMobile AL

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

unfortunately the only track in mobile sucks.. it is a 1/8 track and 60ft short.. its pretty much a get your 60ft down and reaction time type of track..

#16 RB26powered74zcar

RB26powered74zcar

XXXXXX

• Super Moderators
  • 4461 posts
  • LocationLouisiana, 70601

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

unfortunately the only track in mobile sucks.. it is a 1/8 track and 60ft short.. its pretty much a get your 60ft down and reaction time type of track..

Yea, I listen to those teaser runs every time I stay at my Aunts house. She lives almost close enough to see the track. I did not realize that was it for Mobile...

I re read your post where you mentioned Montgomery motor sports park. How far from you is that track?

RB26dettZ pics

th_April_2012006.jpg ®

#17 wigenOut-S30

wigenOut-S30

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts
  • LocationMobile AL

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:53 AM

MMP is about 2.5-3 hours north on 65 from my place..

#18 rytherwr

rytherwr

HybridZ Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationLeesurg, GA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:45 AM

Couple of thoughts...closer to home is always attractive to everyone, however, we have a lot of folks who have really put the miles on since I have been hanging out...I will try to make it no matter where we have it. Since Warren is the ringmaster and, Scottie, Gabe, Dale, et al have been involved in setting up and running this stuff over the years, I would submit that we defer to those guys where we can, if nothing else, for logistics sake.

This part of the country stays pretty hot all the way through Oct or Nov, so not sure there is a cooler time throughout the spring/summer until we get pretty late in the fall, so my vote is for sooner than later. There are good tracks in SC, NC, AL, FL, etc, so I think we are back to "where do the preponderance of the folks come from" and try to make it more or less central to there.

I also recommend we don't restrict ourselves to just 1/4 mile tracks. There are some really good 1/8th mile tracks in the South and they are fun, less wear and tear on equipment, some of the rules for 1/4 mile stuff doesn't apply, etc. In fact, the ADRL runs 1/8th mile exclusively and they put on a heck of a show.

Well, that is my 3 cents worth

Wayne
'71 240Z, Twin-Turbo,Fuel Injected 406 SBC, powerglide, 9 inch Ford, 3.89's, Moser axles, full cage, etc. (5.76 @119 in the 1/8 mile), 2007 Lexus LS 460, 2008 Lexus LS 460, 2003 Toyota Tundra

If there ain't no waves, who's doin' the paddlin'?

#19 deja

deja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationSugar Hill, GA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:00 PM

First, I have nothing to do with organizing these events, I just shoot the video, LOL.
Second, although I have never run a 1/8 mile track I would prefer a 1/4. With my gearing and engine I would still be in second gear at the 1/8 mile mark.

#20 rytherwr

rytherwr

HybridZ Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • LocationLeesurg, GA

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

You are too modest, Dale...seems like since I have been coming to these things (4 years, I think) you have become the "official" movie guy. I believe when most people think of SEZ shootouts and DNI get-togethers recently, they think of Deja when they want to see action recorded. So, my friend, by a simple matter of proximity and unselfishness, you become part of the "establishment"...:o) Sounds like the place you just retired from, huh?

Lots of people don't like 1/8th mile racing, so you are certainly not alone...lots of people do...everybody to their own...

Wayne
'71 240Z, Twin-Turbo,Fuel Injected 406 SBC, powerglide, 9 inch Ford, 3.89's, Moser axles, full cage, etc. (5.76 @119 in the 1/8 mile), 2007 Lexus LS 460, 2008 Lexus LS 460, 2003 Toyota Tundra

If there ain't no waves, who's doin' the paddlin'?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users