HybridZ

Get the fastest motorcycle you can afford!

ShaggyZ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T76bsNsSovs

This Canuck is the epitome of arrogant motorcycle noobness. As of May 30, he has ~2,000 miles and ~7 weeks of motorcycle riding experience. He's 55 years old, Canadian and is not intellectually honest with even himself.

Over on SVRider.com, we're really letting him have it - http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=102996

Lots of people were commenting on YouTube on the absurdity of his statements. He responded to a lot of them at first then gave up because he was getting slaughtered and he decided to disable comments and delete those that had already been posted. He changed the video description to disclaim the comment removal and disabling by saying he doesn't want "to be the purveyor of false information" but retains the video and the rest of the description. :hs: He's also disabled the ratings because he was at 5 stars after 5 ratings but down to 2 stars by 10 or 11 ratings. The best we can do now is flag the video as a "dangerous act."

In a later video posted yesterday (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TSj1lIgV0U), he called everyone who commented and disagreed with him idiots for thinking a modern 600cc I4 sport-oriented motorcycle is not a good idea for a first time rider... at least, generally.

The summary of my thoughts on his belief:

1. he thinks 600cc is the least one can use and have fun in "twisties," so he's clearly not learned to even use the power he has available. Ever seen a guy on a Ninja 250 freakin' tear apart people on more powerful bikes? Happens all the time.

2. dispensing information as he has is really not the end of the world, but would sadly convince a lot of morons that they need to just get a Yamaha R1 as a first bike so they won't get tired of the power in two months from a Ninja 250. Unfortunately, that could easily mean the rider won't survive two months.

3. he's going through a mid-life crisis at a later age and appears to be in terrible shape and his reflexes are slowing, so he's in a really bad place of overconfidence.

Check out his other videos, including his 6 minute gear review. Hilarious!

This guys a few hours from me... :)

When I finish up college Id like to get a honda 600, I rode 250 4 stroke (crf250r) dirt bikes and I think Id get tired of a 250 on the street... but Ive never gotten to ride a street bike so my logic may be flawed.

he feels SAFER in a motorcycle? Sorry, but that is a DANGEROUS thought. you should feel WAY more dangerous on a motorcycle than in a car. feeling safe makes you let your guard down, which leads you to getting killed by a guy that feels "safe" driving their car while talking on the phone, making a lane change, and not checking over their shoulder because they can't see the bike in the mirrors

Ive never gotten to ride a street bike

I would highly recommend trying it if the chance ever becomes available.

I've ridden in some quick cars (not quick compared to serious drag cars). I've never had an experience that compared to riding a street bike though.

Quick story time.

I've spent plenty of time on dirt bikes and other small-bore toys. One day, a good friend calls me, saying he just bought a GSXR 750. No preamble, no sort of forewarning or "I'm thinking about getting a bike" type talk. I was not happy. I was of the firm belief that street bikes were deathtraps.

He asked that I keep an open mind, and at least promise to ride it a bit. I agreed, and he rode over soon after. Handed me the helmet, jacket, gloves, and keys and told me to have at it. "Don't come back for a half-hour, okay?"

Smooth thrust, an exhaust note to die for, and ludicrous speed on tap with a twist of the wrist. Scary fast. I didn't really hit it hard until I'd spent a couple more hours on the thing, but when I did...oh man... that thing would stretch your arms out.

I still won't buy a bike as long as I live in San Diego. However, I don't believe that they are inherently dangerous. The dangerous things are the people who pull out in front of you or change lanes into you.

More importantly, a lack of self-control, judgement, awareness, or skill are the things that get you killed.

best advice i was given as a two wheel terror?

"allways ride like EVERYONE is out to kill and maim you in the most painful ways possible,

Anticipate EVERY possible action of others on the road"

with that attitude, it has kept me safe and out of trouble.

and i can conciously think of several situations that would have ended badly if i didnt ride like that, all situations where the other motorist would have caused the accident.

Edited by Nizm0Zed
typo's

I thought about getting a bike because I heard they are the funnest and get like 60 mpg to boot. But I'm too far in love with my Z and I have,as Jeremy Clarkson said while reviewing the Ariel Atom, "A bit of a gut, and that would look ridiculous in your leather romper suit" lol.

best advice i was given as a two wheel terror?

"allways ride like EVERYONE is out to kill and maim you in the most painful ways possible,

Anticipate EVERY possible action of others on the road"

with that attitude, it has kept me safe and out of trouble.

and i can conciously think of several situations that would have ended badly if i didnt ride like that, all situations where the other motorist would have caused the accident.

I may not have a motorcycle, but I ride my bmx bike all around the city and this is exactly how I think. it's gotten me out of SEVERAL situations where I would've been t-boned by bone headed SUV drivers thinking that the edge of the street is where they stop, and not behind the crosswalk.

though...when I really think about it, I think I might want a motorcycle

probably a Triumph Bonneville. I always did like them out of all other bikes i've seen haha

I thought so too!

He's 55 years old, Canadian and is not intellectually honest with even himself.

Considering that as you listed his "issues", Canadian is one...

One thing you need to remember, as Canadians we only get 3 weeks of motorcycle weather a year, the rest of the year its a blanket of snow and we all ride around on dog sleds. Besides, its tough to get out of the igloo at all sometimes with all the polar bears around.

Edited by Drax240z

Fair enough.

Hahaha, that guy is from Kelowna, I grew up there. I can definitely understand his attitude, generally most people that live there and can afford toys as such are more towards the arrogant/ignorant side of things. (think a toned down Beverley hills)

My good buddy's dad who had over 30 years of riding experience was killed when a jeep blew a red light and ran him down when he was on his bike. Saying he feels safer on a bike really makes me question where his head is at though.

I too am a firm believer that bikes are rolling death traps, especially in places where they're coming down hard on bikes with loud exhausts. Most of the time a loud exhaust is the only reason people see you on the streets.

I too am a firm believer that bikes are rolling death traps, especially in places where they're coming down hard on bikes with loud exhausts. Most of the time a loud exhaust is the only reason people see you on the streets.
That "loud bikes saves lives" saying is almost entirely garbage. Quick example that might help: how often do people completely not hear a police or ambulance siren until it's extremely close? Some instances a loud exhaust helps, but a lot more effort should be put into learning to ride and avoid instances where you would otherwise rely on a loud exhaust; I don't even rely on my horn to alert people to anything other than they would have run me over if not for my maneuvering.

I kinda have to agree with the statement that you feel safer on a motorcycle than in a car. Ive been riding since i was 10 on the dirt and got on street bikes when i was 16 with my dad. so ive been off and on with street bikes for over 10 years and the reason i feel safer on the bike is maneuverability and just the fact that i stay so much more aware where im on the bike. IDK if its because i have so much seat time racing Motocross that i just get into attack mode when i throw my leg over a bike that makes me that way but ill admit that i can get a little bit lazy when your sitting in your nice comfy seats listening to music and chilling in the ac. I do know that im NOT safer on a bike though and that you have to ride like your invisible on the street as not to get hit but I agree with my dad when he said he trusted me more on a street bike than he did in a car when i was 16 after i was in my secound wreck lol.

I can understand feeling safer on a bike and I don't even ride, yet.

I feel safer in a manual than I do an auto, why? Because it's so easy to just not pay attention in an auto for me. I can make a 1 hour drive home and completely forget where it all went. I'm much much much more aware of the drive, who's in the lane next to me, who's following me, etc when I'm in a manual.

I can see the same being true for motorcyclists when comparing it to driving a car.

That being said I've come close enough on several occasions in a car to not trust other people enough. If I've avoided so many serious accidents in california at my age (21) by and large pure luck, then I don't want to risk it on a bike.

the first crotch rocket i rode was a liter bike, i was like 15 and loved every second of it. Why i feel safer on a bike is that i am alot smaller, so i can maneuver alot faster and react alot faster and since theirs no cruise control or anything like that (just an ipod) i have nothing to do other then pay attention to whats around me and their future actions/reactions to their enviroment. its also nice knowing that you have the ability to stop VERY VERY fast if you know what you are doing and have a good reaction time and if you do know what you are doing you know you can brake hard to avoid the head on collsion and move out of the way of the guy behind you who was talking on his cell phone and is about to creme the guy in front of him. also not being afraid to split the lane, i have saved myself numerous times from being cremed, by splitting the lane to avoid being re-ended by honda's who where going WAY to fast for their own good. my first bike was also an R1 and lets say living by the words "ride like everyones out to get you and dont second guess anyones actions" have saved my life. I also ride very aggresively and ride ahead of traffic and will NEVER fallow the flow of traffic.

I hope you have enjoyed this wall-o-text.

Interesting post! Regarding a 55 year old guy on a crotch rocket, even though this guy may be a numbskull,......I happen to be 57 years young and just purchased an 09 R1! Mind you, I've been riding for over 30 years, in the dirt, on the street, and held a roadrace licsence for 3 years. However, I would most certainly not advise someone with little or no experience to purchase such a bike as a first bike!!! Shoot, my R1 puts more HP out at the rear wheel (150+) than my 240Z does. Anyway, as we all know, there are far more numbskulls out there than not.

Tom

I feel much safer on a motorcycle than I do in a car. I have nothing to distract me from the road; no cell phone, no radio, no passenger...etc. I am pretty much forced to pay attention to what I am going and what others around me are doing as well. I can move out of the way faster, stop faster....

Just my .02 though

I feel much safer on a motorcycle than I do in a car. I have nothing to distract me from the road; no cell phone, no radio, no passenger...etc. I am pretty much forced to pay attention to what I am going and what others around me are doing as well. I can move out of the way faster, stop faster....

Just my .02 though

Let's not forget the primary issue here is this guy had been riding all of 6 weeks at the time of making this video... no primary experience.

I feel safer in some ways on a bike, but I feel like cars can see me and are trying to hit me - it's not really ever been an issue where I felt like they couldn't see me. I put about 1000 miles/month on my SV650 commuting in Austin all year long and get to deal with all sorts of stuff. Because a bike is smaller than a car, there is less chance for it to be hit... kinda.

Also, I have to add that, while I believe some of you guys, don't fool yourself into believing you're more experienced than you are. I talk to guys all the time who clearly have no clue but are absolutely confident in their skills as a rider. It's really sad and unbelievable at times.