HybridZ

Can't seem to get my 260z to redline

Hi, having trouble getting my 260z to get to redline and wanted to know if others have this problem. I have an aluminum flywheel and believe she is timed correctly and believe the carbs are set right but she takes a long time to reach its peak. Anyone else have similar problems? She revs up just fine under no load.

points distributor? an electronic distributor fomr a 280Z or 280ZX with a 12v coil really allows you to wind the engines up

also is the vac advance otn eh distributor? if you aren't getting enough advance ti won't want to wind up either

Hi, I have electronic distributor and believe vac advance is working properly.

Stock or modified ignition?

I am running a Crane HI-6 ignition box, XR3000 optically triggered igition and a LX92 coil.

I have absolutely no problem getting my 260Z to the redline.

Exhaust is fine. Fuel pump seems to be pumping just fine. I get to about 5500 RPMs and the car seems like it is struggling to go any higher. The car runs fine at 5500 just can't seem to get it to go much higher. It is like it is at its peak. I was thinking maybe I should check my vlaves to see if they need adjusted but everything sounds fine under the valve cover. Any otherideas? How would I know if my distributor advance wasn't working properly?

Stock Exhaust? Mine was giving me fits for some years, I'd dismissed the exhaust concentrating on fuel.

Before MSA this year, and after having driven it daily for a while, I changed the exhaust to the MSA 2.5", and viola! Car went back to revving up to redline again.

I'd removed the resonator (premuffler) some time ago...I couldnt' believe only having the stock muffler out back would cork it like it did. I haven't pulled it apart yet, but plan to just to sate my curiouisty on what happend inside the muffler to cork it up so bad...

This is really weird, I am having the same problem, except once I get to 5500 my L28 starts to sputter and go back down in RPMs.

Swapped FPR, Fuel Pump, new filters, new ignition coil, still the same problem.

I can't put my finger on if it is fuel or spark related. I should be getting a wideband soon and then I can figure out if it is fuel related or not.

Since I am EFI and you are carb'd and we have the same problems I wonder if this would point to a spark issue?

I have an intermediate resonator but put on a small can muffler that is pretty free flowing I believe. I took my car up to 6K yesterday and will do that when pushed but seems like she is running out of steam at that point. It will still try to climb but seems to have reached its peak. Anyone adusted their valves and found the car to run better?

Woah woah woah here!

If you have a 260, I'm referring to an L26. The camshaft is decidedly different than what came on L28's.

If you have an L28 in your car with a stock cam, 5500 is about 300 rpms past your power peak. They will rev higher, but if it's EFI that is falling off, you have dirty connections in the injector circuit.

The discussion was about carbs, and in a 260Z which has different characterisitics from a 240, and from a 280.

One of the biggest things you can do to 'wake up' an L28 is find one of the earlier cams from a 240, and install it. Moves the power band around a little bit, and if you have taken steps to bump compression to comparable to what the 240 had, you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

But new 240 cams aren't really forthcoming, they are junkyard finds now.

• 6 years later...

Lol, I have this same problem with my 77 280. So far I have replace Exhaust, Fuel Rail, Fuel Pump, Injectors, Crank Timing kit, FPR, and now I am putting in the XR300/PS91 setup to see if I can get it to go away.

Truth be told though, I'm pretty sure the issue is Fuel, at least in mine. I let the tank get really low while I've been doing Idle testing after all these part swaps and the one time I took it out to go down the street, I went WOT and (Remember the low fuel) when I hit about 3k it did the exact same bog that happens at 5500 normally. So then I accelerated slowly and no problem all the way up.Right around the same time all the low fuel would have been stuck to the back of the tank.

I know this is an old post but if any of you figured out exactly what it was, lemme know. TPS, AFM, etc...

It's been over six years since the post you're replying to was posted.  

Truth be told...the source of your "bog" was an almost empty tank?  The weak baffling of the 280Z tanks is known.  Most recommend refilling at 1/4 tank or higher if any hard cornering or acceleration is planned.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone solved these issues? I've got a 240 with an l26 with SU's,new fuel lines, electronic distributor,new fuel filter, and it doesnt want to rev past 4k. When it is cold it revs even lower until it begins popping and sputtering and wont go up any further. Would love to be able to get it to at least 6k.

Has anyone solved these issues? I've got a 240 with an l26 with SU's,new fuel lines, electronic distributor,new fuel filter, and it doesnt want to rev past 4k. When it is cold it revs even lower until it begins popping and sputtering and wont go up any further. Would love to be able to get it to at least 6k.

Read the thread and do the suggested  fixes and then post again...