HybridZ

RPM Stall

hey guys, its been a while since any problems with me car until earlier today when i declared my 82 zx to be the most reliable car i drive... way to go.

i was washing the car and i hosed the entire engine bay down. Then when i went to start the car it choked a little so i assumed i got a little water in the intake, no biggy right? wrong...

i let the car run, then dry out for 4 or 5 hours in the sun. Car idles good, just fine, but when i start driving or rev it up i can get past 2300 rpm... its like the moment the car hits 2300 rpm it SHOOTS back down in less than a second.

anyone no whats going on. i do have a major intake leak gasket leak but i don't think that would cause the rpm to drop down THAT FAST. and i don't think its the tps.

thanks

When you washed the engine bay, you got water in the TPS, shorting the contacts that are inside. You need to blow it out with a can of compressed air, or contact cleaner. Or ... it will eventually dry out by itself.

Next time - cover the TPS assembly before washing.

it's the TPS - I did the exact same thing.

compressed air and hair dryer did the trick.

do a search on my name and "TPS" and you'll find the thread, with an image of the TPS' location, if you don't already know what/where it is.

I ended up heat shrinking all my electrical connections in the bay after this incident, since the rbeer was cracking to bits and let the water in.

does it come up just fine, then abruptly come to a peak..... then "chug" or bog back down to idle speed, and is it at the same place on your RPMs every time?

yes i do have a cold air intake and it is pretty close to maf. it does stall out at the same rpm everytime, but the moment it hits that rpm its almost as if the car turns off then right back on... i can hold the gas all the way open and it will just keep doing this. so yes

the same thing happened to me on my 280 i just bought. i was cleaning the engine bay and when i start it up it idles fine but it wont go past 4500 rpm. the tps does not have the cover and looks really old but so does everything else on it lol. wheres the cheapes place to get a new tps?

the same thing happened to me on my 280 i just bought. i was cleaning the engine bay and when i start it up it idles fine but it wont go past 4500 rpm. the tps does not have the cover and looks really old but so does everything else on it lol. wheres the cheapes place to get a new tps?

Junk yard?

Try Blackdragonauto.com too.

Or maybe summit racing?

It's probably not water in the tps itself since just most have cracks in the connector's boot.

If water completes the circuit there, your ecu will think the throttle is at idle position at all times and do exactly what yours is doing.

If you do try to waterproof the boot, don't use certain types of silicone since many of the darker colors (ultra black and toyota FIPG black) will conduct electricity and you will have the same problems.