HybridZ

Wish me luck...at the dyno..

Long story shortened, had 1st V8 car loved it, traded for a "better" V8 Z ended up not being "better" but worse. Bought another engine that was "better" but ended up not better. Third transmission, after trying to find a true automatic. Now have totally rebuilt turbo 350 trans and a brand new Year One crate engine with 400 "dyno" horsepower. If this doesn't give me 350 Hp to the rear wheels lots of parts are going up for sale! Do or die this Friday!

Just an idea, but go to any 1/4 mile track, take your

(trap speed X .00426) X (trap speed X .00426) x (trap speed X .00426) X weight. It will be approximate of a typical dynojet..weather conditions, altitude make big differences...The good thing is you also have an actual measurement with the car rolling down the road, not a controlled dynocell.

I'm guessing low 300s, 325 for a number. Dyno'd on the stand is worlds apart from living in a Z engine compartment, exhaust compromises, heat, airflow.

Good luck and hope you get more than you hoped for.

There are many good drag calculators on line given et, mph, weight etc. I suggest if you want an estimate of what performance to expect go to one of the following

http://www.stealth316.com/2-calc-hp-et-mph.htm

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

http://www.dsm.org/tools/calchp.htm

http://robrobinette.com/et.htm

Good luck with the dyno

Oh, then there is something seriously off. Did you run the A/F ratio sniffer on the exhaust? I'd assume you have something off with ignition, mixture or cam timing? Definitely down 100 HP!! Hope you figure it out!! (the parking brake was off, right) ;)

If your having a blowout sale for super cheap, I hope you get 218 at the wheels. If you'll sell it all for going market, I hope you break 350:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Good luck!!!

SEE......Phil jinxed the deal!!! "The Force is strong with this one!!"

I've see that before. A 383 dynoed at 244 to the rear wheels, it took another year or so playing with G-Tech and WBO2 to get everything dialed in and making 300+ to the rears.It's more than bolting it all together, unfortunately. Torque is probably pretty good, but to get anywhere near that HP, you will need to do some fine tuning.Disapointing, I know, but it's the way it is...

The engine is a vortec 350 with these specs;

Compression ratio: 9.5:1

* Vacuum produced: 12hg @ 800RPM

* Recommended fuel: 92 octane

* Max recommended RPM- 6000

* Block: Seasoned 4-bolt iron

* Crankshaft: Nodular iron

* Pistons: Hypereutectic

* Connecting rods: Powdered metal

* Camshaft- Hydraulic roller

* Valve lift:.520"

* Duration @ .050" (int/exh): 218deg/228deg

* Rocker arms: Stamped steel 1.6:1 ratio

* Cylinder heads: Ported Vortec

* Valves: Stainless steel 2.02 int/1.60 exh

* Valve springs: Heavy duty

* Bore x Stroke: 4.030" x 3.48"

* Intake manifold: Dual-plane aluminum

with a Holley 770 street avenger, MSD 6al ingition, HEI Distributor, Sanderson cast iron headers/manifolds, electric fan and water pump.

Ran the tail pipe sniffer and had a target of 13 Air/Fuel. Swapped out the jets a couple of time to get it consistant through the whole run.

Sending dyno results to YearOne to see if they can shed any light on the subject.

236HP_thumb.jpg

The engine is a vortec 350 with these specs;

Compression ratio: 9.5:1

* Vacuum produced: 12hg @ 800RPM

* Recommended fuel: 92 octane

* Max recommended RPM- 6000

* Block: Seasoned 4-bolt iron

* Crankshaft: Nodular iron

* Pistons: Hypereutectic

* Connecting rods: Powdered metal

* Camshaft- Hydraulic roller

* Valve lift:.520"

* Duration @ .050" (int/exh): 218deg/228deg

* Rocker arms: Stamped steel 1.6:1 ratio

* Cylinder heads: Ported Vortec

* Valves: Stainless steel 2.02 int/1.60 exh

* Valve springs: Heavy duty

* Bore x Stroke: 4.030" x 3.48"

* Intake manifold: Dual-plane aluminum

with a Holley 770 street avenger, MSD 6al ingition, HEI Distributor, Sanderson cast iron headers/manifolds, electric fan and water pump.

Ran the tail pipe sniffer and had a target of 13 Air/Fuel. Swapped out the jets a couple of time to get it consistant through the whole run.

Sending dyno results to YearOne to see if they can shed any light on the subject.

I would check the timing and make sure its following the a good curve. You could have too much or not enough timing. Find out from year one what it should be when its all in. Also check your manifold temperature and see if its too hot. Check your exahust manifold for any leaks. You mention that you are using a cast Iron manifold, its possible it isnt sufficent for that combo. What size and what kind of exahust do you have on the car past the manifold ? That cam has a decent amount of overlap and if you arent extracting properly your mixture will be dirty and you HP will be way down.

My exhaust is different than what year one uses for dyno testing, they used long tube headers I have Sanderson cast iron block hugger "headers" manifolds. The intake manifold temps were just over 100 (I am in Phoenix and our daytime temps are running in the high 90's). Water temp in the engine runs about 160 degrees. I can't quite figure that out either since I run a stock Z car radiator, no thermostat only a restrictor plate because of the electric water pump. I admit my exhaust after the manifolds sucks cause the shop didn't listen to what I want and gave me what they wanted. Going to the track this Friday to see what numbers it runs then will probably run a lager straight pipe with no mufflers next time to compare. Still waiting for Year one to respond...