HybridZ

VQ30DET into 260Z

rp975

This is my current project - putting a VQ30 DET into a 1974 260z.

zcar project

This engine is from a 1999 Nissan Cedric.

To put this engine in I have had to remove the exhaust which runs behind the engine and the turbo to fit the engine behind the x-member. Then I will have to have new exhaust manifolds made bringing the turbo in front of the motor.

The plenum had to be removed because it was too far off the back of the engine, so a new one will have to be made towards the front of the engine. I will have to make a new x-member and modify the engine and transmission mounts.

These are the dimensions:

From the back of the water pipe at the back of the engine to the front of the pulley bolts at the front with the fan off is 580mm.

The width without the manifolds and exhaust is 610mm.

The height without the plenum is approximately 700mm.

I will post more photos as I make progress.

just wondering why it says "you may not post attachments"?

does it need to be checked by a moderator?

Cheers Rob

No moderator check as far as I know, sometimes the thumbnail facility is available sometimes not. Other than that as far as I know this forum is no different to others.

Here are some of the pics of the motor before it went in, showing the original manifolds which were not used.

IMG_6248_JPG.jpg

IMG_6250_JPG.jpg

IMG_6224_JPG.jpg

Dual throttle body and plenum intake

IMG_6312_JPG.jpg

IMG_6295_JPG-1.jpg

Showing clearance under sump where new x-member and exhaust joiner will go.

IMG_6294_JPG-1.jpg

showing rear water pipe removed for first trial fit.

IMG_6293_JPG.jpg

I have lots more photos to upload as I started this project about four years ago and have had this info on another site, I have decided to set it up over here now.

IMG_6275_JPG.jpg

here is original exhaust manifold with turbo removed, not fitting.

IMG_6258_JPG-1.jpg

here is intake which had to be removed in order to move motor back far enough for the front of motor to sit behind the original x-member.

IMG_6426_JPG.jpg

showing motor mount not clearing steering shaft properly. (right hand drive)

IMG_6467_JPG.jpg

IMG_6257_JPG.jpg

one of the first attempts to get the motor and trans in, as you can see at this stage it didn't look like it was going to go in.

part20of20frame20mount.jpg

beginning of new removable crossmember mounting partially fabricated.

frame20mount.jpg

now with top plate welded on and start of x-member and a rear suspension bush that will become the rubber mount.

x-member20to20frame.jpg

drivers side top plate modified to clear steering shaft.

removable20x-member.jpg

showing removable x-member, steering, and L6 motor mounts removed from front x-member.

x-member20mount20parts.jpg

showing the beginning of the mounts on the new x-member.

mount20to20x-member.jpg

working out position for the mount on x-member in relation to engine mount above it.

VQ30det.jpg

you can see how far back I was able to get the engine, plenum is removed, I will make a new plenum that faces the front.

IMG_7182_JPG.jpg

in this photo you can see the gap between the x-member abd the front of the motor.

DZ approves of this message:2thumbs:

great work!

Thanks DZ, I'm glad that you like it.

Here are some more pics.

IMG_6429_JPG-1.jpg

showing position of trans in tunnel, rubber coupler will be replaced with uni.

Trans20x-member20from20behind.jpg

trans x-member made.

under20new20trans20x-member.jpg

trans mount showing easy access to all bolts and spacers can be used if needed between original rubber mount and body of trans.

reinforce20tunnel.jpg

support plate for inside.

welded20outside20tunnel.jpg

now welded and bolted up.

VQ30DET20showing20clearance20withou.jpg

Here we have the bonnet (hood) closed to look at clearance, I crawled in through the front of the car to measure. The plenum is removed and I have a thin steel plate sitting where the plenum would sit.

clearance20from20bonet20to20bottom2.jpg

plenum20jig.jpg

Here is my setup for pressing the new plenum, it has a hardwood frame. The top frame is just mdf and is there to control the alloy as it is pressed, it is srewed down not tight but leaving a small gap. We don't want to clamp the metal here just control the flow.

In this pic the part has already been pressed, so on the top you can see a thicker steel plate that supports the hardwood male part of the die, it evens out the pressure on the wood and stops splitting.

jig20showing20female20part.jpg

Here is the female part of the die, made of hardwood glued and screwed together.

It is carved to the shape that we want allowing for the outside shape.

The inside edge has a radius to allow the metal to flow into the space.

It is also greased for better flow.

jig20showing20male20part.jpg

Here we have the male part of the die, it is carved to the size and shape that we want allowing for the thickness of the metal, in this case 3mm. It is also greased.

jig20with20aluminium20and20wooden20.jpg

The metal in this case 5005 Aluninium, it is annealed before we start to press and also annealed part way through, so you press a little then take it apart and see how it is going and anneal before reassembly and more pressing.

pressed20plenum20upside20down.jpg

Here is the pressed part, we used a 2mm thick sheet as a test but the 3mm final part worked much better, this one is 3mm.

pressed20plenum20from20top.jpg

plenuns20old202620new.jpg

Here the part is trimmed and shown next to the original plenum.

We have to trim the mounting flange off the plenum to be then welded onto the new plenum.

Thanks Richard,

it now has custom exhaust manifolds and entire system, I have just finished mounting the radiator and making an alloy fan shroud which I will have pics for in a few posts as I am moving this thread from Classic Z over to here.

plenums20from20side.jpg

This photo shows the two plenums height although the new one doesn't have the flange on the bottom yet.

plenum20on20flange20from20front.jpg

Here the old plenum has been removed from the flange and the new plenum and flange sitting on the motor, there will be twin pipes welded onto the front that lead to the twin throttle body.

plenum20sitting20on20flange20from20.jpg

New20Tailshaft.jpg

Here is the custom tailshaft, it has a slider section because the trans didn't have one, it also has larger uni's.

outside20of20rear20hub.jpg

Here my engineer didn't like the idea of just re-drilling the rear hubs to 5 stud, so he wanted a girdle made that would sit behind and have longer studs go through both.

The countersunk cap screws hold the girdle on as well as the wheel studs.

The center has a sleeve made so that it just fits a Ford XD rear vented Rotor and the wheel studs also seat into the rotor.

Inside20of20rear20hub.jpg

This shows the back of the girdle, the splines on the studs are a press fit through both the girdle and rear hub. New bearings fitted as well of course.

Rear20disc202.jpg

Here you can see the rear calipers and rotors fitted, also shortened CV axles, I made a mistake and had them made to short, so I had to make spacers which you can see also.

Rear20disc.jpg