HybridZ

VQ30DET into 260Z

rp975

shroud20male20die.jpg

Here I am making a male part-die so that I can press an aluminium fan shroud from 5005 Alloy, 2mm thick.

I have made this from 7 ply, the size is to allow for the 2mm at the top and at the bottom of the finned section of the radiator, the sides I have made the same width as the finned section so that the shroud will come around the side of the radiator where it can be mounted by small alloy brackets and the use of nutserts in the shroud, while tapping a thead into the sides of the radiator without going into the waterways.

Then I made a template of the two fans and their mounting points and screwed them to the first piece.

shroud.jpg

Here are the side brackets made from 6mm thick alloy. I have some rubber that has a U shape that is a press fit which acts like a gasket and stops any rattles, with this on it was a press fit which was really nice.

shroud20with20fans20sitting20on.jpg

shroud20with20fans20sitting20on202.jpg

shroud20cut20open.jpg

Here you can see the nutserts in the shroud and at the sides of the radiator are the slide in brackets so that the radiator can be removed quickly.

this is some good stuff, what transmission are you gonna use. im building a VQ30det w/Z33 transmission but its still in the works

I will be using the auto transmission, I am not sure if it is a constant variable one or not, I will have to wait to find out. I have been working on this for years and it maybe a couple more before it is on the road.

What have you done with your swap?

Cheers Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Like what you've done!!

Very interested in the rear brake setup you have,

Was there much machining of the xf caliper casting required? and if so would you let me know how it was done?.....and was also hoping you could put a couple of photos up of how the front brake caliper mounts to the strut. As I'm looking at doing a brake up grade on my 71 240Z

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have some photos of the brakes on an old computer, as soon as I can work out how to get them out I will post them up here.

The rear XF caliper brackets were modified with a die grinder and some new holes were drilled, Tonycharger on HybridZ showed me how to do this. And from memory a spacer was made from alloy plate as well to get the correct alignment of the caliper over the disc rotor.

It was not a very hard job to do.

With the front calipers I bought a kit from Hoppers Stoppers that had the custom 5 stud hubs, rotors, calipers and steel adapter brackets.

I will see about getting the photos.

Cheers Rob

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To get pics up here Rob you use the Go Advanced reply, go to Attachments which enables you to download pics from your computer. Problem is the Attachments facility is usually turned off and does not appear :(

Glad to see you are still going with this, been a few years :)

• 2 years later...

I have decided to start on a new inlet manifold and have made the flange from 15mm thick alluminium.

The tubes were cut in half 180deg bends, these were then squashed slightly in a press to make oval, wall thickness of the tube is 3mm.

post-669-056809200 1332248107_thumb.jpg

post-669-053161700 1332248129_thumb.jpg

post-669-059414400 1332248144_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have made a male die for pressing the Plenum.One side is from hardwood and the other is 13ply with alloy formers.

Maleandfemalediesfortherunners.jpg

runnerspressedin3mmaluminium2.jpg

I first pressed a plat sheet 3mm thick using the middle alloy former only so that the center would form more easily.

Then I would press again with the next former each side of the center one and so on until I had formed the shape into the top of each sheet (one for the top and another for the bottom of the plenum)

runnerspressedin3mmaluminium3.jpg

pressedrunners3mmaluminium.jpg

I made a female die for pressing the outer shape of the plenum.

femaledieforoutsideshape.jpg

pressingsheet.jpg

I heated the aluminium plate of anneal it before putting it into the press, here you can see it pressed part way through, you have to take it out a different stages to re-anneal.

pressedpartway2.jpg

Untitled-26.jpg

The outsides of the female die were made with a 3 stage hole setup so that you could start with the widest setting first then bring them closer with each pressing to achieve the shape.

It is a difficult shape being more than just a compound curve.

pressedpartway3.jpg

pressedpartway.jpg

It was then put into a vice so that I could hammer the last part to get the aluminium as close to the form as possible.

Untitled-31.jpg

twohalvespressed.jpg

Here are the two halves of the plenum pressed.

Here I have trimmed the two halves and had them welded together.

Plenumweldedhalves.jpg

Here the plenum it trimmed at both ends.

Plenumweldedhalves3.jpg

Plenumweldedhalves4.jpg

plenumandend6.jpg

plenumandend8.jpg

plenumandend5.jpg

Here the end plate for the plenum as been made.

plenumandend2.jpg

plenumandend7.jpg

plenumandend3.jpg

VQplenum.jpg