HybridZ
rp975

VQ30DET into 260Z

rp975    3
this is some good stuff, what transmission are you gonna use. im building a VQ30det w/Z33 transmission but its still in the works

I will be using the auto transmission, I am not sure if it is a constant variable one or not, I will have to wait to find out. I have been working on this for years and it maybe a couple more before it is on the road.

What have you done with your swap?

Cheers Rob

OZZ240    10

Like what you've done!!

Very interested in the rear brake setup you have,

Was there much machining of the xf caliper casting required? and if so would you let me know how it was done?.....and was also hoping you could put a couple of photos up of how the front brake caliper mounts to the strut. As I'm looking at doing a brake up grade on my 71 240Z

Cheers

Ian

rp975    3

Hi Ian,

I have some photos of the brakes on an old computer, as soon as I can work out how to get them out I will post them up here.

The rear XF caliper brackets were modified with a die grinder and some new holes were drilled, Tonycharger on HybridZ showed me how to do this. And from memory a spacer was made from alloy plate as well to get the correct alignment of the caliper over the disc rotor.

It was not a very hard job to do.

With the front calipers I bought a kit from Hoppers Stoppers that had the custom 5 stud hubs, rotors, calipers and steel adapter brackets.

I will see about getting the photos.

Cheers Rob

260DET    25

To get pics up here Rob you use the Go Advanced reply, go to Attachments which enables you to download pics from your computer. Problem is the Attachments facility is usually turned off and does not appear :(

Glad to see you are still going with this, been a few years :)

rp975    3

I have decided to start on a new inlet manifold and have made the flange from 15mm thick alluminium.

The tubes were cut in half 180deg bends, these were then squashed slightly in a press to make oval, wall thickness of the tube is 3mm.

post-669-056809200 1332248107_thumb.jpg

post-669-053161700 1332248129_thumb.jpg

post-669-059414400 1332248144_thumb.jpg

rp975    3

I have made a male die for pressing the Plenum.One side is from hardwood and the other is 13ply with alloy formers.

Maleandfemalediesfortherunners.jpg

runnerspressedin3mmaluminium2.jpg

I first pressed a plat sheet 3mm thick using the middle alloy former only so that the center would form more easily.

Then I would press again with the next former each side of the center one and so on until I had formed the shape into the top of each sheet (one for the top and another for the bottom of the plenum)

runnerspressedin3mmaluminium3.jpg

pressedrunners3mmaluminium.jpg

rp975    3

I made a female die for pressing the outer shape of the plenum.

femaledieforoutsideshape.jpg

pressingsheet.jpg

I heated the aluminium plate of anneal it before putting it into the press, here you can see it pressed part way through, you have to take it out a different stages to re-anneal.

pressedpartway2.jpg

Untitled-26.jpg

The outsides of the female die were made with a 3 stage hole setup so that you could start with the widest setting first then bring them closer with each pressing to achieve the shape.

It is a difficult shape being more than just a compound curve.

pressedpartway3.jpg

pressedpartway.jpg

It was then put into a vice so that I could hammer the last part to get the aluminium as close to the form as possible.

Untitled-31.jpg

twohalvespressed.jpg

Here are the two halves of the plenum pressed.

rp975    3

Here I have assembled the runners and both flanges ready to be welded.

VQ30manifold2.jpg

VQ30demanifold.jpg

VQ35inletmanifold.jpg

VQ30manifold.jpg

VQrunnerinside.jpg

Now it is back from welding.

VQ35deinsiderunnerswelded.jpg

VQ35deinsiderunnerswelded2.jpg

VQ35derunnerswelded.jpg

Then I cleaned up the welds insde the runners.

VQ30manifoldrunnerspolished5.jpg

VQ30manifoldrunnerspolished6.jpg

VQ30manifoldrunnerspolished7.jpg

VQ30manifoldrunnerspolished2.jpg

VQ30manifoldrunnerspolished4.jpg

VQ30manifoldrunnerspolished.jpg

• Like 1

rp975    3

Back from welding the plenum is not attached, I have cleaned up the welds on the top of the plenum and also machined the bottom flange to take out the warping.

VQplenum-1.jpg

VQplenum6.jpg

VQplenum3.jpg

VQplenum4.jpg

VQplenum5.jpg

Next I have to make the flange for the standard twin throttle body.

I will show more pics as they come.

Rob

zero    1

Wow, I really like what you're doing here. I gotta say I've never seen anyone on here do the wood pressing method for making a manifold, but it's VERY cool. Also, it seems like it would be reasonably repeatable, as the wood molds are are saved.

Great work!

rp975    3

I have made a brace for the front of the motor for the damper.

Manifold is nearly finished and last photo is how engine bay is coming along, I have to make the strut mounts for the strut bar and engine damper.

post-669-025667000 1345678386_thumb.jpg

post-669-086064400 1345678463_thumb.jpg

post-669-095855500 1345678522_thumb.jpg

post-669-003325900 1345678598_thumb.jpg

rp975    3

Hi Docaam,

I am about to ge t back into my project Z car, last year I won Victor Laury's Datsun Roadster in LA, so I imported it to Australia and spent 6 months getting it safe and ready for registration here.

I am now enjoying driving it on weekends and will get to clean my garage up and look at what needs to be done with regards to the wiring.

I did have a pretty good thread running on VQ30det.com but that site folded which is a real shame as there was a lot of good info from other users there.

What are you going to do with your wiring?

Cheers Rob