VQ30DET into 260Z
Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:59 PM
Here are the front brakes, late model AU3 Ford front vented-slotted rotors and alloy calipers mounted onto custom front 5 stud hubs from Hoppers Stoppers in Aust.
Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:04 PM
Back on its wheels for the first time as 5 stud about to go for a holiday down to Newcastle Mufflers for the new manifolds and system.
Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:21 PM
Thanks DZ, I'm glad that you like it.
Here are some more pics.
Nissan factory jack FTW! but seriously good job dude. keep us posted!
Daily Driver: 1997 Toyota Corolla CE (beige) 20,000 miles - Too fun to drive. :surprised
Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:26 PM
Here I am making a male part-die so that I can press an aluminium fan shroud from 5005 Alloy, 2mm thick.
I have made this from 7 ply, the size is to allow for the 2mm at the top and at the bottom of the finned section of the radiator, the sides I have made the same width as the finned section so that the shroud will come around the side of the radiator where it can be mounted by small alloy brackets and the use of nutserts in the shroud, while tapping a thead into the sides of the radiator without going into the waterways.
Then I made a template of the two fans and their mounting points and screwed them to the first piece.
Here are the side brackets made from 6mm thick alloy. I have some rubber that has a U shape that is a press fit which acts like a gasket and stops any rattles, with this on it was a press fit which was really nice.
Here you can see the nutserts in the shroud and at the sides of the radiator are the slide in brackets so that the radiator can be removed quickly.
Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:10 PM
this is some good stuff, what transmission are you gonna use. im building a VQ30det w/Z33 transmission but its still in the works
I will be using the auto transmission, I am not sure if it is a constant variable one or not, I will have to wait to find out. I have been working on this for years and it maybe a couple more before it is on the road.
What have you done with your swap?
Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:50 PM
Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:12 PM
Very interested in the rear brake setup you have,
Was there much machining of the xf caliper casting required? and if so would you let me know how it was done?.....and was also hoping you could put a couple of photos up of how the front brake caliper mounts to the strut. As I'm looking at doing a brake up grade on my 71 240Z
Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:26 PM
I have some photos of the brakes on an old computer, as soon as I can work out how to get them out I will post them up here.
The rear XF caliper brackets were modified with a die grinder and some new holes were drilled, Tonycharger on HybridZ showed me how to do this. And from memory a spacer was made from alloy plate as well to get the correct alignment of the caliper over the disc rotor.
It was not a very hard job to do.
With the front calipers I bought a kit from Hoppers Stoppers that had the custom 5 stud hubs, rotors, calipers and steel adapter brackets.
I will see about getting the photos.
Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:59 AM
Hows the car going, would love to see any update pics if you have some
Posted 07 January 2010 - 07:41 PM
Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:26 PM
Glad to see you are still going with this, been a few years
Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:56 AM
The tubes were cut in half 180deg bends, these were then squashed slightly in a press to make oval, wall thickness of the tube is 3mm.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:52 AM
This is a plan view of how the plenum will look.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:22 AM
I first pressed a plat sheet 3mm thick using the middle alloy former only so that the center would form more easily.
Then I would press again with the next former each side of the center one and so on until I had formed the shape into the top of each sheet (one for the top and another for the bottom of the plenum)
Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:37 AM
I heated the aluminium plate of anneal it before putting it into the press, here you can see it pressed part way through, you have to take it out a different stages to re-anneal.
The outsides of the female die were made with a 3 stage hole setup so that you could start with the widest setting first then bring them closer with each pressing to achieve the shape.
It is a difficult shape being more than just a compound curve.
It was then put into a vice so that I could hammer the last part to get the aluminium as close to the form as possible.
Here are the two halves of the plenum pressed.
Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:46 AM
Here the plenum it trimmed at both ends.
Here the end plate for the plenum as been made.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users