HybridZ

280ZX Kaminari wide body kit... Ive got one coming!

Mack

hello all, I recently purchased a 280ZX with a full kaminari wide body kit. I guess te car itself is in bad shape (rusty floors and rockers) but the body kit is fine. no damage, craks or breaks. The plan is to take the kit off (cutting the rear fenders will be necessary, I imagine) and put it on my slick top.

Id be willing to work with someone if anyone wanted to make molds for a reproduciton of this kit as I understand it is no longer available and 280ZX kits are far and few between these days. the only problem is that its for a 2+2. which is good for me, since I have a 2+2 but bad for abnout 80% of 280ZX owners out there. that being said, the front fenders should be fine, the rears would need a little massaging to put them on a 2 seater.... so if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me or post them in the thread.

*note I wont actually have the car until the end of june when I travel to NY to pick it up. also, Ill be driving out to NY with an empty 2 wheel car dolly, and Im leaving from Minneapolis so if anyone needs anything transported, let me know.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello all, I recently purchased a 280ZX with a full kaminari wide body kit. I guess te car itself is in bad shape (rusty floors and rockers) but the body kit is fine. no damage, craks or breaks. The plan is to take the kit off (cutting the rear fenders will be necessary, I imagine) and put it on my slick top.

Id be willing to work with someone if anyone wanted to make molds for a reproduciton of this kit as I understand it is no longer available and 280ZX kits are far and few between these days. the only problem is that its for a 2+2. which is good for me, since I have a 2+2 but bad for abnout 80% of 280ZX owners out there. that being said, the front fenders should be fine, the rears would need a little massaging to put them on a 2 seater.... so if anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me or post them in the thread.

*note I wont actually have the car until the end of june when I travel to NY to pick it up. also, Ill be driving out to NY with an empty 2 wheel car dolly, and Im leaving from Minneapolis so if anyone needs anything transported, let me know.

I think the 2+2 should be fairly easily adapted to coupe with sme skill (shortning the rear panels)

anyway

this is worthless without pics :P

Yeah, I got it for $1200 and thats with the rims (16" enkei mesh!) and all the parts to fix teh engine fire stuff, brand new from MSA.

I think it will look MUCH better with a slick top in blue and silver 2 tone.

pics!

red280zx.jpg

red280zx1.jpg

It makes me happy to see a member on here saved that car. I was tempted several times to scoop it up but I was so far away in Colorado. That car has been discussed here many times, and I think we all were hoping that it would be saved and returned to its former glory.

Good luck and congrats.

Yasin

unfortuntely, I will more than likely be parting the car itself, but the kit will live on and be installed on my 1980 slick-top 2+2. This is the same car that will also be getting my own frankenstein head (1.5KA24DE) if the damn machine shop ever decides to finish it, S13 coilovers, Z32 big brakes, and Im trying to find some info on a Kontrolle rear crossmember, as they supposedly had better rear end geometry for squat control and handleing.

oh, and the kit actually looks better (than a starquest) in person. I saw one at the MSA show this year. It is owned by the owners of Kaminari. I got to chat with them for a bit about it, and they are really nice guys! The car it was on was a 2 seater and had an aftermarket turbo system installed. It had a "scramble" button on the gearshift. push it and it was an instant 5psi jump in boost! kind of like the Go Baby, Go! button from Gone in 60 seconds.

I have no idea. Im sure they will give me the full story when I go to pick it up. There has to be something behind it, as it was a $3000 body kit in 1983 and add another $12000 for installation and paint (quoted from the owners of Kaminari that I ran into at MSA).

• 2 weeks later...

well, I got the car back to minnesota safe and sound. Ill get some pics of it this weekend. WHen I get a house Ill start to strip it and take off the kit.

I think Im going to make molds of all the pieces. can anyone give me a link or a website that would have some good advice on how to make molds for producing fiberglass parts?

The way the rear quarters look is what i want to do to mine kind of... I was going to get replacement quarter panels and weld a 2" spacer between them and the stock quarters then blend back near original width at the very back of the car.. Glad to see this pic and get a little better idea of what it will look like if i do it.