HybridZ

how do i refurbish my wheels?

I have a 1981 280zx with the iron cross rime's on it.

i don't really like them but want to hold on to them as an extra set for the hell of it, but i need to refurbish them.

they have what looks to be milldow stian's an just dirt an grime...how should i go about cleaning them an preping them to get painted.

{i have a big compresser}

Also is powder coating hard for a do it your selfer to do or is that somthing to leave to the pro's?

thank's.

chris M.

1981 280zx

1983 280zx

I think that mildew your talking about is like a clear coat they put on the wheel just sand it off or use paint striper after that sand it with fine sand paper i think like 200 grit and use a polishing compound and make shine

and powder coating is pretty easy all you need is an oven if it fits your wheels your good set to 200 degrees for ten minutes and there you go

I media blasted the ZX turbo swastika rims I got on a parts car. I tried to avoid blasting the lips which were going to be polished and just blasted all the paint off the front and the entire backside.

Also before blasting I took a ton of simple green, tal-strip and a wirebrush to remove as much scaly and loose dirt/grime before I blasted.

After media blasting I polished the crap out of the lips and filed flat with a bastard file any curb rash. I then hand sanded the old painted areas and then painted the centers with duplicolor wheel paint.

14775_thumb.attach