HybridZ

'77 280z BAE turbo

turbojohnny

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, that noise is almost certainly an exhaust leak, from a single cylinder from the sound of it. I've also heard a head gasket leak that blows out the side sound like that. You can test that with a compression check.

wwoww...haven't seen one of those in a long time. I had one on my 76 Z a long time ago. I always had oil issues with it and those annoying little fuseable links thingy's...I will look thru my file. I might still have the booklet for the installation of the BAE turbo set-up. Mine was purchased and installed through Bob Sharp Racing back in 1979...

I might still have the booklet for the installation of the BAE turbo set-up.

If you guys will follow my link in the post above you will find the complete BAE kit manual. I posted this for another guy years ago.

ok so just to be on the safe sidei purchased a freshly rebuilt cylinder head. i figure if i'm going to have the engine apart i might as well put a fresh head on it. i'm also going to replace the original bolts with a set of ARP studs, as recommended.

do you guys have any recommendations on a specific head gasket to use, or will any brand suffice?

ok so just to be on the safe sidei purchased a freshly rebuilt cylinder head. i figure if i'm going to have the engine apart i might as well put a fresh head on it. i'm also going to replace the original bolts with a set of ARP studs, as recommended.

do you guys have any recommendations on a specific head gasket to use, or will any brand suffice?

If you're going to the effort of getting a fresh head (investment much) why not throw in a little extra cash and start putting together a fresh bottom end to go with it?

ie: replace the gasket on your current set up then put it back together.

Then you can take your time putting together a proper beating heart for that thing without chopping and changing parts into a running vehicle? Way i understand it, l28 bottom ends aren't terribly expensive or difficult to find for you yanks? certainly not when considering the expense of a fully reconditioned head?:burnout:

well i spent under $400 for the head, and the car only has 61k miles on it, so i'm not too worried about the bottom end, also i want to be able to drive the car! i'm not getting into pulling the motor and rebuilding the whole thing just because i'm already in there, no offense or anything. i just figured it'd be easier for me to pull the head and put on a fresh one as opposed to pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop to have it rebuilt, it would probably be about the same price.

...also i want to be able to drive the car! i'm not getting into pulling the motor and rebuilding the whole thing just because i'm already in there, no offense or anything.

actually that was my whole point- consider doing the HG to make it drivable, then get another block and bide your time putting together something special- a new topend deserves a new bottom end ... of course this mightnt be nessecary if those kms are "genuine"

perhaps pull the head, inspect top and bottom ends- collect information then decide; it needs to be done to catch that gasket in any case :D

i'm just tryna be helpful, lost money in the past buying parts before i was certain about the direction of my projects:redface:

I agree, you should inspect the cylinders for scoring. When I pulled the head off my old setup (similar to yours), one piston had been replaced and there was deep scoring in 5 & 6. You never know. The PO told me it kept blowing head gaskets. Apparently he was having some severe detonation problems. An old inefficient turbo, lack of intercooler, high compression pistons and jerry rigged fuel system is a recipe for disaster if you're not careful. I considered water injection before I just ditched the whole thing after I found out the bottom end was trashed.

I would'nt waste my time with the bottom end...Just change the head gasket and drive it.. Its a very familiar sound to me..Blown head gasket... I do recomend new head blots ...by the way oem nissan hg and felpro (autozone or advanced ) hold out the same..anything after 22 psi they blow out...