HybridZ

Project Z31 600zx

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make that 3 of us - 6.0 LQ4 here. I'm using a 4l80E transmission with hope of adding some boost down the road.

I thought I was buying an LQ9 but I checked the piston tops and they are dished so it's definitely an LQ4. It's an 05' Electronic Throttle engine that will be retained due to the ease of retaining cruise ontrol with a simple 3 wire hook-up.

Right now I'm struggling with oil pan clearance issues and weather or not to buy a new pan from Moroso or Autokraft, or buy the new LH8 Styled cast oil pan from retroLSX.com. they are all about $400 and I'm leaning towards the Moroso pan but the shorter LH8 cast pan from retroLSX looks likea good option too.

Thanks for your pictures of the LS2 LS6 manifolds - definitely answers the question as to what headers to use.

I'll try to post pics soon.

Ken

yea same here with the boosting down the rod thats why I went with the 5.3L LM7, also I have not decided on the tranny yet either a nv3500 5 speed or a t-56, im leaning towards this option. Plus I think I might either chop the oil pan about 2 inches or get an f-body one. I too will keep you guys updated with progress.

Yea... I had to introduce my trans tunnel to Mr. Sledge for the TH350 because i wanted to sit the engine back as far a possible without cutting the firewall to retain a good weight balance. Your engine bay has so much stuff in it still lol. I took out everything not related to my needs. I still need to cut the harness out though. I just haven't felt like tracing all the wires. Probably next week.

Damn you guys and your Gen 3/4 engines... I get to use a Gen2 LT1... Im not baller like you guys.

Yeah - I've been afraid to cut too many wires incase I need them later. I plan on cutting them after I get the engine in there and getting rid of every unecessary items. I'm planning on retaining the AC too so not sure about that either.

I just bought some Hookers Block hugger Headers off ebay - hopefully they work out but they were cheap enough at $200 so not complaining too bad. there is a local guy selling some GTO manifols on CL so if they don't work maybe I can pic those up cheap - they look alot like those LS2 C6 manifolds

Yeah - I've been afraid to cut too many wires incase I need them later. I plan on cutting them after I get the engine in there and getting rid of every unecessary items. I'm planning on retaining the AC too so not sure about that either.

I just bought some Hookers Block hugger Headers off ebay - hopefully they work out but they were cheap enough at $200 so not complaining too bad. there is a local guy selling some GTO manifols on CL so if they don't work maybe I can pic those up cheap - they look alot like those LS2 C6 manifolds

The hookers fit my car pretty well. Tight on the steering shaft, but doable.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey thanks for keeping the thread alive guys. It's great to see others doing LSx swaps in Z31's too! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but it's because I've been busy working on a way to get my Z going. I couldn't see ripping all the LQ9 truck parts off of my engine set up and having my computer retuned for a manual like I'd planned and letting all those "spare" parts go to waste, so I came up with a plan to use my complete pull-out LQ9 engine/harness etc with an automatic trans in another car as a swap to turn a buck and use the proceeds from that sale to pay for what I should have used in this Z to begin with... A complete pull-out LS2/M6 from a GTO or G8. It just makes more sense to go that route.

This LQ9 now has a set of Comp Cams 918 valve springs, JLP Double Roller timing chain set, and a Comp Cams 224/224 - .581/.581 114 cam in it. Funny thing is, I was still able to use the C6 LS2 manifolds in this swap, just reversed.

Here are pics of my LQ9/trans in it's new home, it's not quite done yet, but it'll be done soon. I just need a radiator, oil pan, and those various bits and pieces that all swaps involve.

Make no mistake, My project 600zx has not died!!! This Jag is going to pay for finishing my Z the way I want!

post-4976-12710494874129_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12710495113677_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12710495429412_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12710495661802_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12710499843197_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aaron D

I picked up a blown B4C yesterday for cheap, so I decided I'd hook it up to my 4L65-E and take some mock up pics to see if the F-body oil pan would fit. Turns out it wouldn't fit in without hammering on the transmission tunnel and I didn't feel like doing that since I plan on staying with a manual transmission on this car. I then took the transmission off and tried fitting the engine down into the car to take pics for everyone.

The F-Body pan looks like it could be made to work, but the engine would have to be set very far back, the closest head would be about 2-3/4" to 3" at most from the firewall and the driver side chassis motor mount would have to be either modified or eliminated to accommodate the F-body alternator location. I don't think the A/C compressor has any chance of fitting with the F-body brackets at all, but I'll check into it again later.

But in the end, the Autokraft oil pan is the absolute best answer for this chassis. It is the perfect fit for this car.

post-4976-12712883710411_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12712883955517_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12712884245287_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12712884469225_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12712884671132_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12712884930787_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12712885485076_thumb.jpg

post-4976-1271288583209_thumb.jpg

Still waiting on the Autokraft oil pan.

I have nothing better to do than mock things up as best I can, so...

Here are more pics of the engine pretty much fully dressed with the truck pan on. I have a set of TransDapt engine mounts on the engine, even with the engine setting farther forward the existing driver side chassis engine mount interferes with the alternator location using the Camaro accessory set up, the mount will have to be customized. There appears to be plenty of room for an A/C compressor though. Best part, there is plenty of hood clearance for the TBW! Downside, hoodlatch will have to go :(

post-4976-12717247203502_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12717248191843_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12717249827386_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12717250089388_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12717250460969_thumb.jpg

Still waiting on the Autokraft oil pan.

I have nothing better to do than mock things up as best I can, so...

Here are more pics of the engine pretty much fully dressed with the truck pan on. I have a set of TransDapt engine mounts on the engine, even with the engine setting farther forward the existing driver side chassis engine mount interferes with the alternator location using the Camaro accessory set up, the mount will have to be customized. There appears to be plenty of room for an A/C compressor though. Best part, there is plenty of hood clearance for the TBW! Downside, hoodlatch will have to go :(

wow it seems to fit in there pretty great, I will have to get some pics of mine too, doing the same swap but into a 86 300zx, basically if you guys have heard of a Forum meber by the name of 1sickZ, I bought his chassis to do this swap into. Should be fun to DD and race everyday!

Yeah, I know of the 1sickZ guy's car, I've seen a few of the streetfire videos. Quick car!

The Autokraft oil pan was supposed to ship out thursday, so hopefully I'll get some updates for everyone soon. Then it'll be a while before any new news from me most likely as I'll be finishing up the Jag and selling it to finish the Z!

• 2 weeks later...

Autokraft rocks.

The new Autokraft pan allows the engine to set a little bit lower in the engine bay without the sump hanging lower than the crossmember and that's about it. Can't really move it any further forward than I had it with the truck pan (not that it was going to be used anyway), just saying. It gives PLENTY of space between the pan and the crossmember and if you're brave you could lower the engine even more lowering the sump beyond the crossmember, but I'd save that for a track car.

This will be my last mock-up type of update for a while folks since I'm changing what engine set up I'm using in this car. I'll still be using a 6.0L GenIII SBC engine with an Autokraft pan etc. Just going with the GTO eng/trans pullout as mentioned before. I hope this helps some folks!

post-4976-12729985656048_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12729985962424_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12729986191852_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12729986434063_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12729986644319_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12729987129315_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12729987279737_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12729987479897_thumb.jpg

post-4976-12729987714121_thumb.jpg

http://www.autokraft.org/products/

If you are installing an LSx engine in your 1st Gen Camaro or Firebird then this is the pan for you! No more cutting and patching your factory cast pan. Requires no modifications to the crossmember. Will clear stock steering linkage. Features include: Four corner internal baffles (Road race style) Custom oil pickup and billet oil filter adapter.

Call (715) 874-5921 to order LS1/LS2 oil pan package $399.95

It comes with with everything pictured and you'll pay shipping to boot. You'll need an F-body dipstick and tube if you don't already have one. If you have a spacer on your oil pump like I did to use a double roller timing chain, you'll have to slot the mounting hole for the pick up tube since the pump spacer moves it forward a tad.

In my opinion it's a pretty good solution. You can make the F-body oil pan work too. To use the F-body pan though you'll need to recess your engine/transmission closer to the firewall or create some clearance between the steering rack and the oil pan some other way.

post-4976-12734364849269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aaron D

• 8 months later...

lol you seem to be the only one still following through with this project....I got a good deal on a 73 240z and decided to through my turbo LSx swap into it instead....well actually to be honest I'm still debating whether to fix the 240z and us it as my DD and swap this engine and set up in my Z31 instead, I will decide soon as I get the 240z to my house!