HybridZ

ka24de into 240z swap completed with turbo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude we gotta post some pictures of the most recent intake setup. One of our team members did a phenomenal job routing a 240sx intake to the front of the car for a very clean setup!

its already up on the front page. we are running short ram setup for drag. less turbulance.. in this case...

we are still planning on going to fusion in kerney mesa, off clearamont mesa blvd. accross from cheetas.

• 3 weeks later...

I kept the body harness intact and kept the fusible link from the starter hot wire for that purpose, and used the stock oil and coolant sending wires. the ka24de harness we ran separate: a power, ground, and accy, setup with missile switches and the starter we used a cheap switch from autozone wired separate. then we wired the alternator to the battery separate with a fuse, and a stand alone fuel pump circuit.

We didn't use the stock ignition key circuit, spark or the alternator/charging circuit.

This is not ideal for a street car, but it makes it very simple to have separate systems instead of trying to intigrate and splice into the stock harness. makes it easy to troubleshoot and fix.

keep in mind we wanted simple and cheap for this event as to stay within the buget rules.

Wicked! I can't believe you could do all that for $1500. I bet if you added up your labor, its a heck of a lot more than that.

Nice work. Love the fabrication and innovations.

As far as an oil catch can is concerned, you can just use another NOS Energy Drink bottle. It will work fine. Unless it can't pass tech inspection...

I ran into that once at an HKS Drag Meet in Japan. They didn't like my 32oz Gatorade bottle oil catch can. I had a really nice one that fit the car, but then I put my Tec3 ignition in its place and it had to go. When you spend all week wiring and tuning, its hard to come up with a catch can in time for Sunday. Finished drinking a Gatorade, it went in.

The tech guys eventually let me run because I put a ziptie on the bottle to hold the hose in it. Haha. I think they were curious to see my car run, too.

I kept the body harness intact and kept the fusible link from the starter hot wire for that purpose, and used the stock oil and coolant sending wires. the ka24de harness we ran separate: a power, ground, and accy, setup with missile switches and the starter we used a cheap switch from autozone wired separate. then we wired the alternator to the battery separate with a fuse, and a stand alone fuel pump circuit.

We didn't use the stock ignition key circuit, spark or the alternator/charging circuit.

This is not ideal for a street car, but it makes it very simple to have separate systems instead of trying to intigrate and splice into the stock harness. makes it easy to troubleshoot and fix.

keep in mind we wanted simple and cheap for this event as to stay within the buget rules.

thanks my man. just wondering, with your setup right now, are you using any type of fuel management? would it be bad to not run with a fuel management?

Of course it would be bad to run any car without fuel management. We are running a home made daughter board with chips. The fuel and timing maps are changed for the onset of turbo and the different fuel injectors and e85.

Here are some shots of the car at Qualcomm in SD. The first Autocross of the racing season. Thanks to Kaustav.

DSC07087.jpg

DSC07097.jpg

DSC07106.jpg

DSC07111.jpg

DSC07123.jpg

I'll get some of the drag racing pics up soon.

So far we are in the lead, but its a close race between alot of good drivers and cars.

A pic of the first setup with a on center t4 from a diesel truck, before the bolts came loose on the compressor housing and ya... that was an epic fail.

RLShow10.jpg

Since i have a few of these engines laying around ive really been debating weither to do an RB Swap or just go with a ka... ahhh the choices.... i have both engine sets but i still dont have the car to put it into... hopefully by the end of this week ill have 2 Z cars ill end up getting a 76 260z and a 78 280z

since i

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe I missed it but what flares are you running in the back?

Nice swap!

Those are Bondo flairs! hahaha! they were ghetto flared with a hammer to clear some massive tires back in the day before we got the car. then we cleaned it up a little with fiberglass resin stuff.

Anyone want to buy this after we are done with the season?

I decided to take the Boba car to Cruizin Grand in Escondido, just for fun and to get some exposure for our humble sponsors.

Not the most up to date link but here is some info:

http://www.hotrodscustomstuff.com/cruisingrand.html

This goes on every Friday at 6pm during the daylight savings summer months.

Its mostly for muscle cars and pre 74 classic cars.

Lots of people; we handed out alot of promotional flyers for SDGC, and informed alot of people for the SD Grand Challenge event. Most everybody was very excited about the car and the event. Alot of people would say, "dude, you need a blow off valve and... (mentioned alot of things we "need") lots of why did you do it like that, when you could do it this way?" ... untill we said it was built for a $1000 racing category. then they say, "Oooooooh.... thats why you did that!... awsome!"

Here are some pics, Enjoy:

aimcomodern2.jpg

aimcomodernimage.jpg

bobateens.jpg

chevyii.jpg

emance1.jpg

gt40.jpg

justinshahh.jpg

Ya, that is me wearing shorts for the first time in 10 years.:gay:

kaustavvvv.jpg

That is Kaustav giving the thumbs up sign cause' he is so cool

moreppl.jpg

pplmrk.jpg

dudemanbro.jpg

olddudes.jpg

Even these old car junkies thought it was cool :)

Waiting for some pics from last weekend's drag race... We got 1st again8-)

BTW, we are racing this Sunday 2nd of Aug 2009 from 12:30 till about 4ish at qualcomm stadium if you want to join us.

Not much at all...this is how I corner balanced my SX...

DSC_0512.jpg

Yes its a bathroom scale......:D It takes a while but it works.

Nice install!

LOL! corner balanced? how much does that cost? i will do it if it makes the car faster!

Not much at all...this is how I corner balanced my SX...

Yes its a bathroom scale......:D It takes a while but it works.

Nice install!

I'd have to say that's defiantly interesting how you did it... I'd think that the corner balance would be off a little bit because the weight would be sitting on the other side's piece of wood... But either way.

That's pretty nice.

Its a painfuly slow process but works. To speed things up you should have a scale and outrrigger on each side.....better yest have one on each corner.. and I will in the future! The trick is the have the wheels resting as close to the same levearge point on the out-rigger as possible...and to have them sitting on the same point on the scale. DONT put it right on the scale....the weight of the car will crush it!

And yes I have done it with driver in the car....my SX is far from a high tech racer car so I get it close and live with it.

It may not be perfect it but it helps to dial the car ....bathroom scales and 2x6s are cheap! For what ists worth....the suspension is all budget Godspeed stuff and handles like its on rails! :D

interesting way of corner balancing!!! At first glance it looked like you were teeter tottering the car, but then i noticed the scale. I was wondering... do you sit in the car when corner balancing to get it perfect?

Did you dyno that yet? What kind of HP do you estimate you're putting down?

It's weird for me to see a 4 banger in a Z, but you did a good job. Lemme ask, why a KA? Is it because you love it or just had it around?

i would say that it's probably the best bang for the buck. definitely cheaper than the SR and can make the same or more horsepower. the KA has a strong bottom end and pretty good valvetrain. plus it has the advantage of being lighter and shorter, which means you can shift the car's weight closer to the center. you won't be able to do that with an inline 6. plus, i believed that he mentioned that it was all for $1,000.

but it's true, a four banger doesn't sound as nice as an inline 6. :D