HybridZ

ka24de into 240z swap completed with turbo

Its a painfuly slow process but works. To speed things up you should have a scale and outrrigger on each side.....better yest have one on each corner.. and I will in the future! The trick is the have the wheels resting as close to the same levearge point on the out-rigger as possible...and to have them sitting on the same point on the scale. DONT put it right on the scale....the weight of the car will crush it!

And yes I have done it with driver in the car....my SX is far from a high tech racer car so I get it close and live with it.

It may not be perfect it but it helps to dial the car ....bathroom scales and 2x6s are cheap! For what ists worth....the suspension is all budget Godspeed stuff and handles like its on rails! :D

thanks for the info man! I appriciate it!

Not to burst your bubble, but I have an s13 and used Godspeed products. I will never use them or let anyone use their control arms or sway bars or anything that if broken would possibly allow loss of control. I snapped one of their sway bars in half when driving to work. I went to suspension techniques and never broke one. Think about the name, Godspeed, that means you will meet your maker quickly! lol Just a bit of info my friend. just be careful, and safe! Nothin against you or your car, just an fyi.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say that it's probably the best bang for the buck. definitely cheaper than the SR and can make the same or more horsepower. the KA has a strong bottom end and pretty good valvetrain. plus it has the advantage of being lighter and shorter, which means you can shift the car's weight closer to the center. you won't be able to do that with an inline 6. plus, i believed that he mentioned that it was all for $1,000.

but it's true, a four banger doesn't sound as nice as an inline 6. :D

Your right on the money for the most part! Our ka was $150 complete, because the guy we bought it from swapped in an sr into his s14. But sadly we spent thousands less and made almost double the hp with his old motor.:twisted:

Yes, the inline six sounds alot better! thats one reason i still have mine installed, but ours doesn;t sound bad with the custom exhaust i made with titan and tundra resinators and a ford truck tip. sounds subaru'ish with the e85 tune. But i'll say this much, its way easier to work with in the s30, than the s13 or s14. so much room to do whatever you want. i love it. but i'm not loving it more than my 8k rpm l24 with strait through exhaust on my personal 240z.

IMHO, the Ka is a stronger platform and has a much better designed valvetrain than the sr20. The KA24de from the 240sx, is made in japan, revs to 7,000rpm, has a cradle, a cast iron bottom end with forged crank and same valvetrain as the RB26. basicly it looks like an rb with 2 cylinders cut off. I don't exactly know what power we are making as we didn't dyno it yet. I'm guessing based on the injector duty cycle numbers, mafs being maxxed out early, and burning up a clutch that was supposed to hold 300-something hp after one hard pull, I'd say ballpark at least 275hp at low boost, and at the most 400hp at 25psi. We are hoping its not over 400hp, cause that is when the stock ka-rods start to bend and the tranny gives up.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, the stock configuration of the 240z already has more weight in the back than the front. something like 49front:51rear. installing the midship 4-banger accually hurt us more than helped with wieght distribution. we had to cut the coils up front and add a rear sway bar and 2.5 degrees of negitive camber in front to get back what was lost. I cant imagine what a lighter engine than a ka would do.

BTW, we decided to sell the car after the event is over! A great chance to own a winning race car with alot of history, potential for future upgrades/restoration and its street legal and registered!

Your right on the money for the most part! Our ka was $150 complete, because the guy we bought it from swapped in an sr into his s14. But sadly we spent thousands less and made almost double the hp with his old motor.:twisted:

Yes, the inline six sounds alot better! thats one reason i still have mine installed, but ours doesn;t sound bad with the custom exhaust i made with titan and tundra resinators and a ford truck tip. sounds subaru'ish with the e85 tune. But i'll say this much, its way easier to work with in the s30, than the s13 or s14. so much room to do whatever you want. i love it. but i'm not loving it more than my 8k rpm l24 with strait through exhaust on my personal 240z.

IMHO, the Ka is a stronger platform and has a much better designed valvetrain than the sr20. The KA24de from the 240sx, is made in japan, revs to 7,000rpm, has a cradle, a cast iron bottom end with forged crank and same valvetrain as the RB26. basicly it looks like an rb with 2 cylinders cut off. I don't exactly know what power we are making as we didn't dyno it yet. I'm guessing based on the injector duty cycle numbers, mafs being maxxed out early, and burning up a clutch that was supposed to hold 300-something hp after one hard pull, I'd say ballpark at least 275hp at low boost, and at the most 400hp at 25psi. We are hoping its not over 400hp, cause that is when the stock ka-rods start to bend and the tranny gives up.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, the stock configuration of the 240z already has more weight in the back than the front. something like 49front:51rear. installing the midship 4-banger accually hurt us more than helped with wieght distribution. we had to cut the coils up front and add a rear sway bar and 2.5 degrees of negitive camber in front to get back what was lost. I cant imagine what a lighter engine than a ka would do.

BTW, we decided to sell the car after the event is over! A great chance to own a winning race car with alot of history, potential for future upgrades/restoration and its street legal and registered!

i'm assuming you're using the XTD clutch right? those clutch are shitty on higher horsepower or boosted cars.

^ I was thinking more along the lines of a V6 ;) VG's are beasts, are shorter, and look great in an S30 engine bay. Plus its a Z engine and 6 cylinders ;)

Atleast with the KA, you can still call it a 240Z. I think Nissan made a 240Z prototype before the 350Z with the KA engine in it, but they scratched it because they weren't willing to make a Z a four banger.

I know that the more you shift the weight back the more work you need to do to get it to handle right again, assuming it was doing well from the get go, but there's a plethora of amazing sports cars and even exotics with much more rear weight bias than you'll probably ever get in a Z with an engine in front.

I think in the end it all comes down to suspension/chassis tuning regardless of what engine you choose.

But I can see what you mean though. With the KA and it's stock tranny that's a very light engine/tranny combo that's now pulled a ton of weight off the nose. The stock drivetrain isn't insanely heavy like some say, but it's also long and mounted far forward from the factory. Just moving the stock engine back to the firewall makes a huge difference. Taking 2 cylinders off and having it far back just accentuates the difference.

well, even if it resets the weight distribution, you're still losing a good amount of weight when putting in a 4 gerbil-powered engine.

if you think about it, the KA has almost the same amount of power, if not more (depending on what motor you have) as the L motor. plus, it makes the car lighter, therefore, it should have better performance overall.

I know that the more you shift the weight back the more work you need to do to get it to handle right again, assuming it was doing well from the get go, but there's a plethora of amazing sports cars and even exotics with much more rear weight bias than you'll probably ever get in a Z with an engine in front.

I think in the end it all comes down to suspension/chassis tuning regardless of what engine you choose.

But I can see what you mean though. With the KA and it's stock tranny that's a very light engine/tranny combo that's now pulled a ton of weight off the nose. The stock drivetrain isn't insanely heavy like some say, but it's also long and mounted far forward from the factory. Just moving the stock engine back to the firewall makes a huge difference. Taking 2 cylinders off and having it far back just accentuates the difference.

agreed! we made it handle better by cutting coils up front to lower it back down, level, and installed a rear 260z sway bar, and added 2degrees of negitave camber up front to get it back into busness. otherwise if we handn't it handled like crap. gotta make changes to accomidate the changes.

well, even if it resets the weight distribution, you're still losing a good amount of weight when putting in a 4 gerbil-powered engine.

if you think about it, the KA has almost the same amount of power, if not more (depending on what motor you have) as the L motor. plus, it makes the car lighter, therefore, it should have better performance overall.

Yes i agree, The KA makes more useable hp and tq, than the stock n/a L-series from my expiriance. But I still like the L-series much better as it belongs there and sounds and feels better! But the ka makes the most power for the money in our special case.

4 gerbils, cheap, with x-flow head, 4 valves per cylinder, DOHC, and 2.4liters with strong and cheap aftermarket support takes the win for the buget racing season. Plus we added a turbo and the motor likes it.:mrgreen:

Yes i agree, The KA makes more useable hp and tq, than the stock n/a L-series from my expiriance. But I still like the L-series much better as it belongs there and sounds and feels better! But the ka makes the most power for the money in our special case.

4 gerbils, cheap, with x-flow head, 4 valves per cylinder, DOHC, and 2.4liters with strong and cheap aftermarket support takes the win for the buget racing season. Plus we added a turbo and the motor likes it.:mrgreen:

:icon14:

Kaustav, one of my 7 team members, filmed 3 passes at this event! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gxQpe4S68

Team Midnight Boba and Screaming Yellow Zonkers.

The yellow bug team (Zonkers) has some special engine, i dunno how they got it for under a $1000. oh well. we still beat them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf9-U9Yeae4

Thunderbox (Corolla) and Cone Killers (Mustang 5.0 with wet 200 shot)!

Some of our $1,000 competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATt6r4geGJY

Zonkers and Boba, (seems like there was tree trouble with the yellow bug's lane, so it wasn't a head-to-head unfortunately):( We got a 8.0 second 1/8th mile pass at 96mph. Pretty good for 205mm street tires.

Supposedly 12.55 seconds with a calculator if it was a 1/4 mile. But i know its got potential high 7's 1/8th.

The 1/8th mile is not easy! if you screw up the launch even a little, you are doomed for a slow time. takes alot of skill and no room for catch up.

And Finally...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3Cz6prfXI

Marching Idiots!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3gxQpe4S68[/url]

The yellow bug team (Zonkers) has some special engine, i dunno how they got it for under a $1000. oh well. we still beat them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf9-U9Yeae4[/url]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATt6r4geGJY[/url]

Zonkers and Boba, (seems like there was tree trouble with the yellow bug's lane, so it wasn't a head-to-head unfortunately):( We got a 8.0 second 1/8th mile pass at 96mph. Pretty good for 205mm street tires.

Supposedly 12.55 seconds with a calculator if it was a 1/4 mile. But i know its got potential high 7's 1/8th.

The 1/8th mile is not easy! if you screw up the launch even a little, you are doomed for a slow time. takes alot of skill and no room for catch up.

And Finally...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3Cz6prfXI[/url]

Marching Idiots!

Links aren't working mabe... the url thing is in the way...

Wont work on my comp

Sorry guys, here are the fixed Links:

[url=http://

]

]

]

And Finally...

]

Marching Idiots!

And Finally...

Marching Idiots!

lol I fixed them, because your fix was still broken