HybridZ

ka24de into 240z swap completed with turbo

Thanks!

BTW, I haven't put it up for sale officially! I just hinted at it. I had lots of offers, but I am more-or-less, taking "applications" rather than selling it to just anyone. It is a special car, needs some body work, roll-cage and a little bit of money invested in suspension to make it a unstoppable killer on the street or track. Right now it is scary fast, and has been reliable as well!

very nice, If by the end of this summer I can get enough $$$ from the docks to get my IMSA racing license finalized and look for a new car to race then you might see my "application" in your inbox.

May I ask where you sourced your KA? craigslist or just word of mouth?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice, If by the end of this summer I can get enough $$$ from the docks to get my IMSA racing license finalized and look for a new car to race then you might see my "application" in your inbox.

May I ask where you sourced your KA? craigslist or just word of mouth?

Word of mouth, A Marine was getting an sr20det swap done on his 98 240sx. He was gonna toss his ka. I told him i would buy it! He got the short end of the stick, I'm making almost 3x more than his sr20det.

$150.00 throw-away (sr20de swap rescued) ka24de with $30 ebay manifold, $35 used 35mm wastegate and junkyard $80 holset turbo, Throw in $6 each Rx7 injectors with a $9 ford probe fuel rail (honda inlet hose), $20 stock turbo Neon intercooler, and stock ECU with home made chipped daughter-board ($20) Makes more power and a lot more torque than your average LS1 to the wheels. I'm not a hater, just saying that if you think you have yo have a lot of money to be fast, you are wrong! It just takes a lot of time and effort and knowledge and extremely well laid plans to make a fast car with less money. Don't throw away money on things that don't work effectively. If i had more money to spend.... ;)

Here is the Dyno sheet for all the lazy people to see!

BOBA.jpg

I only picked a couple of pulls, we made maybe 7 or 8 pulls and adjusted the fuel pressure, boost controller and timing map. I installed a Blitz dual solenoid controller for that day because I wanted to have a safety margin, on the dyno. You can see the dropping of power on the graph when the safety feature kicked in to lower the boost pressure. I was planning to do a 25 psi and up pull, like we did countless hundreds of times on the track and street, but the hp wouldn't have gone up much more with the stock 2nd gen cams, and I was worried about the stock rods handling much more than 400 foot lbs of torque. When i saw it made over 300hp on the 1st pull, i was like, "Naaah, I'm not gonna blow it up, I want to make the 40 minute drive home." lol.

here are the videos, sorry about the video flip microphone getting totally annihilated by the turbo intake sound.

Edited by subtle_driver

• 1 month later...

I'm glad I found this thread. It makes for great reading, even if I'm at the beginning stages of modifying my 260. I've been researching and asking lots of questions lately, and I know that I will no longer entertain the idea of the VG30 engine swap. Someone talked me into considering the KA24 engine or the RB25. I'm still thinking about it, but threads like these are very helpful. Thanks for posting pics and stories. I especially liked post #83 and the cost factor. Woohoo!

• 1 year later...

I think subtledriver said alot of man hours in his first post. With the cradle/mount installed with the engine by vildini motorsports(great place to get it installed). It took me a total of three whole days(estimating) to get mine running, Ka-t and all. It was a great experience, but i do miss the sound of the l24, all i hear now is an open wastegate. Subtledriver looks pretty well sorted out. Cant wait to see the next project.

I think subtledriver said alot of man hours in his first post. With the cradle/mount installed with the engine by vildini motorsports(great place to get it installed). It took me a total of three whole days(estimating) to get mine running, Ka-t and all. It was a great experience, but i do miss the sound of the l24, all i hear now is an open wastegate. Subtledriver looks pretty well sorted out. Cant wait to see the next project.

Going to second this one - if noise matters to you at all, you won't be happy.

I dearly miss my L28ET exhaust note, even though my friends said it sounded like a UPS truck. Inline 4s leave much to be desired in the sound department.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...