HybridZ

Why the lack of love?

WV75Z

Why the lack of love for the 280zx's especially the turbo? Why are they always donor cars and less often restored?

I have owned a nice 75 with all the same suspension upgrades as my 83zxt and don't notice much difference in handling. The t-tops are a nice bonus too and I have seen some breathtaking s130's as well as s30's.

I could see the s30 having an advantage at the track given the some mods but most of us just want a nice old sports car to enjoy.

For the life of me I DON"T GET IT!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Hogie's got it. It's just the styling of the S130. It's easily dated to the '80's squared off look. The Z31's styling also suffers from that era's automotive tastes. The S30 had more of the classic lines that seem to never grow old.

It's sad because, like you say, the S130 has several advantages over the S30 and is likely a much better car.

I feel that today's cars in twenty years will also be easily dated as fad styling of this decade. This includes the 350Z/370Z in my opinion.

Someone on here has sig: "Cars are like women. Everyone likes the pretty ones."

So true, so true.

• Administrators

I DON"T GET IT!

Reminds me of a close friend (of a different marque and a different forum), complaining about the lack of tech info. I asked him about the last time he 'contributed likewise'. Silence followed.

If you've got love, show love. Do it, and show it. Ball is in your court. Blaming others is the easy way.

P.S. Searching will reveal some UBER sweet S130's.

I like and have owned both!

same here, theres an 83 and a 73 in my driveway.

in racing my S30 being ~460lbs lighter than a 280zx coupe is a nice advantage. My S130 is alot more comfortable tho lol

I have a ZX and I think the Z's are much better looking. The smaller bumpers, the front end is what really does it for me.... And there seems to be more aftermarket products available for them too, which eases the restoration process.

I am getting rid of my ZX and getting a Z, solely for the fact that wont be smog legal when I move back to CA....

I loved my s130, it was my first z, and really taught me alot about the L-series and the 70s bosch EFI system and the general layout of the s-series chassis, but rode like a couch, and always fired up and ran, no matter how bad i screwed with it. but after buying my first z32 and then my first s30, i just couldnt stand how slow and plush it was, lets face it the s130 is one of those weekend cruisers, thats kind of fast, but not fast enough, but the ride makes up for it. ya know?

Ya know, when even more kits come available, (more people desire the car, hence more parts, typically), I think your going to see some even cooler stuff.

Have you guys noticed the amount of s130 growing on this site.

Personally I think you guys are gutting the s "class" (teehee) so you don't get over run in the future;)

The hardest part to deal with on that car is the bumpers, they just don't integrate well .

I know Hughdogz has one bad ass s-class! He working hard to get that thing screaming! Also I don't care for the "squatting" when taking off.

I do like my 83 alot!

I loved my s130, it was my first z, and really taught me alot about the L-series and the 70s bosch EFI system and the general layout of the s-series chassis, but rode like a couch, and always fired up and ran, no matter how bad i screwed with it. but after buying my first z32 and then my first s30, i just couldnt stand how slow and plush it was, lets face it the s130 is one of those weekend cruisers, thats kind of fast, but not fast enough, but the ride makes up for it. ya know?

Very true i always thought the S130 rode a lot better, but it just lacked the acceleration as my 76. I wish that they did make more stuff for the ZX...I think in time they will come around !:burnout:

I owned a ZX back in 96. It was fun, but no T-Tops. I've got my new 5 cyl Turbo ZX w/ T-Tops and love it! It is such fun to drive with the tops off. Amazing the T-Tops made such a difference in how I feel about a car.

I'm now going to leave my 73-Z NA and focus w/ fixing up (upgrading) the ZX. It already has disc brakes, bigger fuel lines, turbo, CV axles, R200 LSD should slide right in even with the finned cover. Time will tell.

I own both datsuns as well. I have a 1981 280zx 2+2 and a 76 280 which is now under the knife and almost finished with an lt1 and turbo 350 trans:mrgreen:. If i had to pick a favorite between the two cars i would go with the s30 because it seems to have more of a muscle/classic car look to me without modifying the body. My s130 bone stock is ok looking, but with a little modifying like a msa type 3 body kit or something it would be a little easier on the eyes. I do agree with skib that the s130 is smooth riding though since i drive it almost as much as my dd. I do like them both however. As it has been said many times... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.:2thumbs:

Moderately successful early '80's coke dealer?......no

Wear white pants that I need to grease myself to get into?.......no

Have mustache?......no

Damn, not qualified to own an S130

My signature on my local car forum is "Nissan 300ZX Turbo 5 Speed [Mustache-tastic]" :)

The trailing arms suspension, added amenities, [Chris will be the only one to get this] "I'm just happy to be here" front end, extra EGR crap, etc. are what scare the 'sports car' people away.

I own two Zs, a 78 S30 and a 86 Z31.

The S30 is a pure driving experience for me: The car tells me whats going on, it's light and nimble, and a blast to drive, but not great for passengers or long trips. I also have a very touchy throttle and a lightweight flywheel which make it difficult for the hilly terrain on campus at the University of Arkansas.

The Z31 has leather seats, steering wheel radio controls [LOVE them], T-Tops, a turbo already in it, and a full interior, as well as NO rust.

They are both Zs, but are two totally different driving experiences. Sometimes I get tired of the bouncy suspension of my Z31 and want my Rev-happy L28, and sometimes I get tired of the S30 and want to hop in the cushy leather seats and cruise around town with the T-Tops off.

The Z turned into a luxury sports car in the 80s, for better or worse, it's all in your point of view :burnout:

if you ask me, the spirit of the car was lost on the interior.

The short version of the answer is, the 1970-72 (ish) 240Z prized function over form and comfort in nearly every way. I know that is what appeals to me the strongest about the car (although I cannot speak for anyone else.)

By the time 79 rolled around, we lazy greedy Americans wanted more cushy comfort from our cars, so you started seeing all sorts of automatic climate controls, and Talking Ladys, and rear wipers (with washer?!?!?) and other sorts of jazzy stuff that is likely to impress the girl from Ridgemont High who works in the diner next door to your Electronics Store (cue the Jackson Brown...)

068.jpg (Image courtesy of the Internet Movie Car Database) (wow that car is pretty)

All kidding aside, it has been a good 15 years since I stopped saying (Thats not a Z, thats a ZX!!" with poison dripping from my voice. (It was the first ride in a turbo car that did it actually.. my dad's 83.) there IS no real "good" reason to be biased for one over the other. Like the rules here say, there is no "best."

All kidding aside, it has been a good 15 years since I stopped saying Thats not a Z, thats a ZX!!" with poison dripping from my voice.

I still can't stand stand when people say, [and it happens ALL the time]:

Them: "Hey is that a Z car?"

Me: "Yep. It's a 280Z."

Them: "I have/had a car just like yours"

Me: "Is it a 280Z or 280ZX?"

Them: "Yeah its a 280ZX"

Me [To myself]: FFFFUUUU

I currently own an S30 but have also owned and enjoyed an 83 280ZXT. They both have their advantages. My preference for the S30 is more sentimental. To me the S30 lines are beautiful where a properly accessorized S130 looks like it's going 100mph parked.. To each their own.

i love my 82 black coupe! its awsome from the front to the rear it drips awsomeness everywhere. i like s30's as well. my uncle had one bad ass 280, me being the nephew and always loved that car it was like destined for me to have one but i needed the nexted gen (s130), hell i am the nephew.

any who my first stick that i drove was a 84zx my first expirence with a z car was a 280. now i gots me a 280zx. see the pattern there.