HybridZ

Why the lack of love?

WV75Z

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rolling Parts

I am only voicing my personal opinion on the mistake I think Nissan made with the S130. I think it is wrong to try to turn a car once built for the thrill of driving (S30) into a car that seems to be more suited for an over the hill, washed up driver that needs power steering, power windows, automatic trannys and all the other creature comforts that were added to make the S130. Plus, not unlike most cars in the 80's the S130 lacks the style and good looks of it's predecessor.

Go to any car show, club event or parking lot with a S30 and a S130 side by side and you will always see which one draws more attention.

But like I have said before, this is my opinion and I know I am not alone, that is why this thread is titled "why the lack of love".

Well,

The S30 had automatic transmissions available from right near the start.

The S30 had creature comforts (it was after all designed and sized for LARGE American drivers) it had ergonomic instruments, and A/C available.

The S30 was even issued in some markets with power windows!

My S130 never had power steering, it never had power windows, it never had an automatic, it never had cruise control, it never had T tops, it never had anything but vinyl seats.

My S130 has a wheelbase shorter than a VW Bug, IRS, and came with 4 wheel disc brakes with front/rear sway bars, and all wrapped up in a stiffer chassis with improved aerodynamics for stability up to 130mph so it's hardly "a mistake" as a drivers car.

My S130 to this day has 100 times more style than 99% of the cars that are on the road.

Probably the "lack of love" is perpetuated by people who don't really know what the flip they are talking about in the first place. You even still hear the same parrots spouting how bad the 260Z was because they had read some where that the car had bad carburetors (gee, like no one would ever change the US Spec carbs out during the last 35 years, sheesh!) or that it was made for only one year (wrong again!).

I never have a problem with informed or reasoned opinions.

I only have a problem when some opinion is both uninformed and spouted as if it was Gospel.

And just because you're "not alone" with a goofy opinion does not mean that you should take that as validation.

Yeh this 'S30 is so much more a sports car than the S130' is just pure ignorance talking, another Z myth like the Goetz saga. I was talking to a bloke just the other day who used to race a 280ZX in a production (standard) type series back in the day, he said it was up with the best on a race track. And he particularly liked the way the rear suspension could lay power down on corner exit.

But what would he know :rolleyes:

Guest Rolling Parts
But what would he know :rolleyes:

LOL, yea, what would a winning race driver know. Great post!

But there is also the real upside to the "lack of love" and general ignorance of the Z model line. I've recently bought 2 early 260Z's just because I could not pass up the deals. The same condition 1973 240Z would have fetched 6-8 grand easy; but because these cars were both Dec 1973 260Z's, they were considered "bad cars" and I picked them up for a grand a piece!

I almost picked another early 260Z last week for $400 but I frankly just didn't have the room for it!

Hmm, on second thought, that "lack of love" thing on certain Z's is working out pretty well...