HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

That really is an incredible build. It turns out that the shop its being built at is right next to my shop in Pflugerville and I never knew till I was driving by one day and spotted the back of a Z sticking out and went to go check it out. Beautiful work though its gone a lot further than last time I saw it. I'll have to stop by again and see it as it is now.

It's a modified Corvette C6 setup. The Arms, Hub, and Spindle are C6 with a custom steering arm and unique geometry given the more narrow width of the Z car. The brakes are a Wilwood 14", six piston setup designed for a Z06 brake upgrade kit.

Mark,

What are you using for the front suspension? A-arms and hubs/spindles?

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

No updates this month. December has been distracting. I plan to hit it hard in the new year so things should move fast, hopefully starting with the engine and a set of wheels to roll it around on. below is a render of the wheel design I created that will get made by Boze Wheels.

I plan to get the car registered. Since it's so old the rules are very lax. That's a huge benefit to building on old platforms. In fact I'm planning to have the car look finished from the outside- ie: carpet, full dashboard, door sills, etc. so that the underlying tube-frame basis should not be immediately obvious to the walk-up viewer. It's only when you look into the back hatch or lift the front hood do you see how radical the design is. That's the goal at least.

Lastly, I'll certainly share my HR engine build up as it goes. I plan to open it up in Jan or Feb and start poking around.

shapeimage_2.png

Sounding good mark.

I'm glad to see you chose the HR as it seems to be a far better engine than the DE, I have a bunch of pull down pics of the HR and the bottom end is a very nice single cradle. It has a fair few similarities to the nissan VH range v8's to be honest and that is a beast of a bottom end for a stock car and the HR looks a little better imo. I wonder how good the stock internals are, I know it has different rods and pistons to the DE as well as a taller deck heigh which matches the VQ40 which was to allow for longer rods equalling a better rod to stroke ratio which would have been to make higher revs more reliable no doubt. I doubt the stock bottom end would like much boost as it seems they have done a fair bit to minimize rotating mass and improve NA performance but with aftermarket parts that thing should be a beast. Better redline at 8,000+ :P

Gotta love old rules, definately one of the things drawing me to the 240 for modification. Its getting to the point over here you can't have a front mount without getting it engineered.

The wheel looks quite nice, did someone get inspired by audi rims? They are quite a nice stock rim, on the rs4 etc. Got specs for the rims? Dare I ask how much they will cost haha? I imagine manufacturing wise a two peice would be much cheaper to build, any comments?

The wheel looks quite nice, did someone get inspired by audi rims? They are quite a nice stock rim, on the rs4 etc. Got specs for the rims? Dare I ask how much they will cost haha? I imagine manufacturing wise a two peice would be much cheaper to build, any comments?

The wheels are definitely inspired (copied?) from the spoke pattern of the RS4 wheel. The depth and cut are somewhat different so I'm hoping it won't look like I just mounted an audi wheel. I may tweak it a bit to given it a more original profile. The cost is actually only $160 total more for them to do the custom shape. It's a two piece with the center milled from a billet. Since Boze tends to create wheels custom anyway, it's not a huge deal to load up a different file. I'm sending them the cad file nearly finished out. They will address bolt hole and mounting surface issues from there.

Are you doing any FEA or that sort of modeling to make sure you won't have failures down the line? Are there rules of thumb that you are using to design the wheel?

nope. I'm comfortable with three factors: First, I modeled the wheel against similar wheel designs using the same billet. Second, BOZE will assess the design before building the wheel and I'll assume they know what they're doing. Lastly, it won't be the track use wheel. I'll use standard mesh CCWs for that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

small update...Things are going slow over the winter. We're right now building mounts for the body. The rear steel body section will be removable (the plan so far) and the front is getting framing built for the airdam, bumper, and hood mounting points. To set everything up correctly we had to build a template of the body line for the current car.

more pics coming soon.

4329206457_06abeb66a8_o.jpg

Nice Idea, I was wondering about how you'd get the body alignment worked out.

Did you get to talk to those engine computer guys?

Phar

small update...Things are going slow over the winter. We're right now building mounts for the body. The rear steel body section will be removable (the plan so far) and the front is getting framing built for the airdam, bumper, and hood mounting points. To set everything up correctly we had to build a template of the body line for the current car.

more pics coming soon.

4329206457_06abeb66a8_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the build :)

Hey Mark is there any chance you could measure the HR up for dimensions and post them? I can find dimensions for the DE but it seems the HR has a taller deck height according to the nissan press release I read on the engine so dimensions would be great if your able + help out anyone considering swapping one.

Are you staying open deck or will you be using a brace or sleeves with brace like the honda boys? There seem to be several 500rwhp+ open deck 350z's running around so I wonder if its just down to putting it together right. Care to mention how much power you are after?

Loving the build :)

Hey Mark is there any chance you could measure the HR up for dimensions and post them? I can find dimensions for the DE but it seems the HR has a taller deck height according to the nissan press release I read on the engine so dimensions would be great if your able + help out anyone considering swapping one.

Are you staying open deck or will you be using a brace or sleeves with brace like the honda boys? There seem to be several 500rwhp+ open deck 350z's running around so I wonder if its just down to putting it together right. Care to mention how much power you are after?

4370874691_6f83aa8aa7_o.jpg

here are the measurements embedded in the pic. good luck. I'm not sure about any block modifications yet. I'm just not yet at that stage. I have a sense that I'm going to change crank, rods, pistons, and add a girdle. But no more detail than that. I'm after ~800whp tops and a road course ~500whp (which means usable for long durations at high loads with good torque)

Wow thanks a lot for the pic :) By girdle did you mean for the cylinders or for the bottom end because the bottom end is one of the best on any production engine, its a full solid cradle with 4 bolt mains. Definately new rods and pistons for that level of power. I have a bunch of pics from the nissan press release of the HR if you would like them - all quite high res. The standard crank looks pretty good to be honest so unless your going for a stroker crank in which case the VQ40 crank is rumored to fit though I don't think anyone has proved it. The VQ35HR VQ40 and VQ37's all use very very similar blocks and from what I can tell are all the same deck height etc with the main difference being the extra oil passage to run the VVEL on the VQ37VHR.

Can't wait to see your engine build :) and thanks again for the dimensions.