HybridZ
markrolston@mac.com

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

Nice Idea, I was wondering about how you'd get the body alignment worked out.

Did you get to talk to those engine computer guys?

Phar

small update...Things are going slow over the winter. We're right now building mounts for the body. The rear steel body section will be removable (the plan so far) and the front is getting framing built for the airdam, bumper, and hood mounting points. To set everything up correctly we had to build a template of the body line for the current car.

more pics coming soon.

4329206457_06abeb66a8_o.jpg

Loving the build :)

Hey Mark is there any chance you could measure the HR up for dimensions and post them? I can find dimensions for the DE but it seems the HR has a taller deck height according to the nissan press release I read on the engine so dimensions would be great if your able + help out anyone considering swapping one.

Are you staying open deck or will you be using a brace or sleeves with brace like the honda boys? There seem to be several 500rwhp+ open deck 350z's running around so I wonder if its just down to putting it together right. Care to mention how much power you are after?

Loving the build :)

Hey Mark is there any chance you could measure the HR up for dimensions and post them? I can find dimensions for the DE but it seems the HR has a taller deck height according to the nissan press release I read on the engine so dimensions would be great if your able + help out anyone considering swapping one.

Are you staying open deck or will you be using a brace or sleeves with brace like the honda boys? There seem to be several 500rwhp+ open deck 350z's running around so I wonder if its just down to putting it together right. Care to mention how much power you are after?

4370874691_6f83aa8aa7_o.jpg

here are the measurements embedded in the pic. good luck. I'm not sure about any block modifications yet. I'm just not yet at that stage. I have a sense that I'm going to change crank, rods, pistons, and add a girdle. But no more detail than that. I'm after ~800whp tops and a road course ~500whp (which means usable for long durations at high loads with good torque)

Wow thanks a lot for the pic :) By girdle did you mean for the cylinders or for the bottom end because the bottom end is one of the best on any production engine, its a full solid cradle with 4 bolt mains. Definately new rods and pistons for that level of power. I have a bunch of pics from the nissan press release of the HR if you would like them - all quite high res. The standard crank looks pretty good to be honest so unless your going for a stroker crank in which case the VQ40 crank is rumored to fit though I don't think anyone has proved it. The VQ35HR VQ40 and VQ37's all use very very similar blocks and from what I can tell are all the same deck height etc with the main difference being the extra oil passage to run the VVEL on the VQ37VHR.

Can't wait to see your engine build :) and thanks again for the dimensions.

here's a small update. We built a removable frame for the intercooler, radiator, and hood hinge. The stock Datsun bumper fits perfectly over the curved front tube. The front splitter mounts directly to the lower bars. Right now the frame is about to get powder coated, my other silver Z is getting cast again for the rear fender molds, and then we will start building up the body. Things should start moving a little faster ("faster" is relative though)

4440863400_2a47eee402_o.jpg

4440863252_f677e4ceb7_o.jpg

here's a small update. We built a removable frame for the intercooler, radiator, and hood hinge. The stock Datsun bumper fits perfectly over the curved front tube. The front splitter mounts directly to the lower bars. Right now the frame is about to get powder coated, my other silver Z is getting cast again for the rear fender molds, and then we will start building up the body. Things should start moving a little faster ("faster" is relative though)

Looks great mark. I'd love to see more pictures of the composite shell coming together. are you going with a single turbo or twin setup on the HR? Any manifold designs yet?

Looks great mark. I'd love to see more pictures of the composite shell coming together. are you going with a single turbo or twin setup on the HR? Any manifold designs yet?

I haven't begun on the motor. The plan is a custom twin setup going into a custom plenum. I have the flanges but nothing is started yet. The composite shell for the front is made but not mounted and we're starting the rear section. I'll have updates in a week or two on that. Things hopefully will move faster this summer.

mark

small update. I changed my mind a few months ago on the wheel design and so I've been working with an engineer at Boze to create a new wheel design. I sent him some 2D layouts and he's just sent back the first 3D center piece render to see if it looks right. The idea is to do a modern 18", deep dish version of the old banana/watanabe wheel design.

I should have a nicer render of it as a whole wheel in a few days.

Opinions so far?

4480581420_d9aff30659_o.jpg

4480581604_ece3787cb3_o.jpg

I like some of it, but (hard to tell from that angle) something looks funky with the lug hole provisions, as in unbalanced, perhaps just the angle? I am also more partial to the Rota, Panasport approach to the spokes curving them in the center of each spoke unlike the completely round tube style of say Konig rewinds. Just my two cents worth...

I like some of it, but (hard to tell from that angle) something looks funky with the lug hole provisions, as in unbalanced, perhaps just the angle? I am also more partial to the Rota, Panasport approach to the spokes curving them in the center of each spoke unlike the completely round tube style of say Konig rewinds. Just my two cents worth...

yup. I'm working on all of those issues. FWIW, I'm finding it's not so easy to design a wheel :wink:

I've done a little visualization on how it'll look on the car. I think it's the right general style and fit. Now I need to refine the spoke design.

mark

4484655747_b383d7c976_o.jpg

Way wicked design.... I'd dump my ccw's in a heartbeat for a set of those exact wheels. Love it!!! :wub:

yup. I'm working on all of those issues. FWIW, I'm finding it's not so easy to design a wheel :wink:

I've done a little visualization on how it'll look on the car. I think it's the right general style and fit. Now I need to refine the spoke design.

mark

4484655747_b383d7c976_o.jpg

This is all kinds of sexy .You have set the bar way out there if you are looking to do the ITB thing hit us up for a kit we will give you a sweet price on a kit that work on this engine

http://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/477743-kevins-vq35de-na-build-epilogue.html

thanks. Who do I hit up?

mark

Any insite on how they make the mold?

It almost looks like a sheet of fibreglass has been vaccumed on.

Are you keeping the fuel filler cap? Reason I ask is it looks like the mold is flattened out around the fuel filler rather then keeping the curve of the panel.

Any insite on how they make the mold?

It almost looks like a sheet of fibreglass has been vaccumed on.

Are you keeping the fuel filler cap? Reason I ask is it looks like the mold is flattened out around the fuel filler rather then keeping the curve of the panel.

The process is simple: we put a release agent on the body to make it easy to to remove the mold. Then we lay resin and fiberglass cloth on the body until its thick enough. Pull that and you have a mold. There are details but that's the gist.

The fuel filler door is being removed.. The fuel cell will be in the rear hatch.