HybridZ

Progress on my insane VQ35HR 240Z project

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the advice from everyone to use a custom ECU. I have a Motec M6 in my RB26 Z (http://www.rolston.me/NewSite/Z-Blog/Z-Blog.html) and while it's arguably one of the best aftermarket ECU's, even the best programming can't match what the factory ECU can do for basic drivability. Any custom map likely suffers from cold-start, decel, part-throttle, and other tune weaknesses. I'm determined to start with the factory ECU along with the UpRev programming to see if I can have my cake and eat it too- meaning to have a nice drivable map along with the high power setup that I've built. 

While that can be true, all it takes is time to get the aftermarket ECU's performing like a stock in terms of driveability, with the time and money you've spent on this surely a bit more on tuning is no big deal. Map it well on the dyno and then spend  couple of weekends tweaking the cold start, drive-ability and part throttle settings, make sure the conditions are different on each weekend.

I feel the drive-ability on my RB26 with lnik ECU is very good, tweaked the cold start a few times and now its perfect.

The schedule target is now to have the car finished and running for the Nismo Fiesta in San Antonio at the end of April. It may not be painted but I expect it will be finished otherwise. Then we can do a few months of test/tune at Harris Hill to figure out what spring rates, shock settings, etc. work best. If you recall, the entire frame and suspension of this thing is custom and therefore we have no real idea of what will work best. at it's current weight of less than 2000lbs it should be quick in any case.

Will be great to see it running, good luck, make sure to keep us up to date.

It is nearly impossible in my experience to get a custom ECU programmed anywhere near a factory ECU in terms of drivability. They literally spend 1000s of hours on the tuning map. It might be technically possible to approximate it but it would take a monumental effort. In any case, it's tuned now and running great. with only spring pressure it does 430whp. We'll tune it soon with boost control for ~200+ more.

• Like 1

Truthfully, I think my R32 drives like stock with the EMU in it.  A lot of people who have driven/ridden in it don't believe it's on standalone.  However, I do have roughly 20 hours or so on tuning the stock turbo and injectors to get it just right.  I get much better gas mileage than stock as well too.  I think though, that it's also because it's an old car running an 8 bit ECU, and suddenly went up to three decades of technology lol.

So.....about that invite to see the car?  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

FIt n Finish is awesome... I almost had to move to Austin, your car was one of the draws, fortunately I got a job here, so I'll just have to see it when I make it out sometime. It's awesome to see you're so close on it.

Phar

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Did you get to the track?

I would love to see some Pictures of if in the current state, the work and detail of this car is awesome and you are a inspiration and keep me motivated for continuing building my Datsun..

I did. I apologize for not posting but we were so caught up in testing that I didn't take many photos and completely forgot to get video. The car is insane to drive. The throttle is too sensitive and it'll spin it's wheels at the slightest tap. On the bumpy Harris Hill track the bumps cause my foot to accidentally depress the accelerator just enough to send the wheels spinning. Not good. We are adjusting the throttle map to attenuate the tip-in throttle intensity. We are moving to a smaller brake MS for tighter braking control and we're going to get some stiffer shocks. Otherwise it's a blast to drive. Next up is to finish the various CF parts and get it painted. I also need to find some better doors. These are too banged up.

32823324312_a19f238dbe_h.jpg32596642300_0dbd57b606_h.jpg.

Edited by markrolston@mac.com

I'm surprised you didn't go with a composite door shell. Car looks good though. I like that it isn't too extreme looking, even though it is very extreme in every other way.

composite doors are an easy way to get killed on the track without a ton of engineering in the CF structure. That's not something I can do. The car has steel where it's most needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...