HybridZ

Bringing back the dead

I've stumbled on a real gem, granted its buried behind a pile of old fire wood and has vines/trees/ants/spiders/etc growing about every where. The roof has been hit by a large tree branch but will be an easy fix. I'm having trouble identifying the wheels, but she is for sure, "or was," a turbo tom's tuned out 260z 4spd. The story is she dropped a ring about 15 years ago and the gent pulled apart the mani, etc. The turbo is an old twin scroll which has seized, but this fairlady is no where near too far gone, the 4b holley looks like she could use a trick kit, but its still there! Basically I'm getting it for a box of cracker jacks, "less than 500 bones ^_^ "

If any one has a good place to get a set of rings, bearings, gaskets etc as a kit please point me in a direction. I'd really like to have her up and driving in a week or two. "If all the parts come out with in their tolerances of course." I'll be halling her out to the shop after I get the chainsaw out, and trailer her to safety.

Please opinions and suggestions, "I work on stuff like this full time through the summer so a rebuild in two weeks is vary plausible if I can source the parts."

Thanks guys!!!

104_9674-2.jpg

104_9676.jpg

104_9686.jpg

104_9677.jpg

104_9687.jpg

Here are a couple more pics of this lady, "who I will now always and forever refer to as Jane lmao." And yes it is a jungle!!! I'll save you Jane, I'll save you :mrgreen:

ZXT_bean deffinatly want to see some pictures of it once you get it out of the jungle you found it in! if it was once a turbo car. best keep it one! l28et!!!

And shes staying turbo friends! I'll have a new china charger to hold me over til further notice.

104_9683.jpg

104_9685.jpg

104_9679.jpg

Why would you do that to a car? I mean, someone had to pay some good money for that car at one time, and then just leave it to die like that? I just don't get it. Thank the lord for people like you, coming in to save the day (like wonder dog ;)). Good luck with it!

I can vouch for the solidness of the car. granted it has some rust in the normal places like the floor pans, front fenders and dog legs, it is definetly repairable. I hope to help out and watch this car grow into a monster.

Cody, im going to try my best to get that turbo tom setup from you, no matter what it takes. lol

• 3 weeks later...

I'll soon have an updated set of pictures for everybody on Jane, got a set of ZG flares coming in and I'm set and ready to radius me some fenders. I also have managed to acquire an F54 as well as a good head with solid lifters etc. A new t3/t4 turbo is also getting bolted on as well as a air to water intercooler, "I figured it would be safer to run one of those on my draw through instead of a front mount fuel air bomb..." Oh, and of course a dash cap, the poor thing really needed a dash cap. Parts should be here on Friday, and I'll post pics of the hack, slash, n burn to get her freed up from the jungle.

Questions, any one know where to get some molly rings/tri metal high eccentricity bearings? I'm also looking for a good source for a nice thick copper head gasket. I'd like to have it all cleaned up together at the machine shop so I can actually get it to seat up and not leak like a civ.

Guest Rolling Parts

"I work on stuff like this full time through the summer so a rebuild in two weeks is vary plausible if I can source the parts."

Well, it looks like you would need a complete running 260Z as a parts car to get enough parts to get that one going. 2 weeks? That would sound plausible only if you start smoking those vines...

Interesting things are:

-The ZX shifter boot (and what's up with the numeric keypad?)

-The boost gauge clock replacement and Speedo replacement

-The ZX (modded) hood scoops (one facing normal, the other mounted backwards).

-Broken stud on turbo exhaust manifold.

Since the engine was opened up, it has to be as rusty inside as it is on the outside. The engine will need to be pulled and completely rebuilt.

So you're looking (conservatively) at least around $800 engine rebuild with teh machining, $400 RaJay turbo rebuild, $250 exhaust system, $300 for a carb, $1,500 for rims and tires, $3,000 in body parts/repair/paint, $700 for seats/carpet/dashcap. That's just shy of $7,000 and that is not including floor pans (probably), u-joints, bushings, weather stripping, brake and fuel lines, gas tank cleaner/sealant, and a radiator and battery.

Sorry man, it will take more than 2 weeks and a set of rings (which is why someone parked and abandoned it).

Guest Rolling Parts

"A new t3/t4 turbo is also getting bolted on as well ...I figured it would be safer to run one of those on my draw through..."

Actually not a great idea. The modern T3/4 was designed to be installed AHEAD OF the throttle plate. If you install it BEHIND the throttle plate (draw through) then the bearings in the turbo will "see" manifold vacuum when the throttle is closed and will suck in oil from the lubricating line. That's THE REASON the old RaJay was used on airplanes/Corvairs and the Turbo Tom; they had a different seal arrangement.

I

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, i dont think he is going to update the thread anytime soon, so i will for him. lol

He got the car out of the woods, and brought it back to a safe location. The car isnt in too bad of shape. I went over and looked at it, it has tons of nice parts that could be polished back to new. We need to pull the head off to inspect all the usual. The head appears to have some work done to it, but untill we pull it its not for sure. As usual school kinda took priority so the car is just sitting there waiting to be torn into.

• 1 month later...
"A new t3/t4 turbo is also getting bolted on as well ...I figured it would be safer to run one of those on my draw through..."

Actually not a great idea. The modern T3/4 was designed to be installed AHEAD OF the throttle plate. If you install it BEHIND the throttle plate (draw through) then the bearings in the turbo will "see" manifold vacuum when the throttle is closed and will suck in oil from the lubricating line. That's THE REASON the old RaJay was used on airplanes/Corvairs and the Turbo Tom; they had a different seal arrangement.

I

Actually all he would need is a carbon seal, oh and by the way the kits originally came with a full to4,

I've gone through and cleaned her up and I'm getting ready to pull the motor; I hope I'll be toying with this one hopefully sooner than later. I've got my 240sx torn apart right now though so again the z is back to the back burner. A good note though, my new GT28 is bolted on and my Rb will be back on the road. I've got an R32 front end going on some time this week too! "depending on my Speech pathology test..."

260_thumb.jpg

Where mine times at right now... Other than にほんごのクラスー

Bosozoku_thumb.jpg

And again thanks for the heads up on the carbon seal side of things, I'll just replum for blow through with a carb hat. Should save me some time and money : )