Cross-country prep

Which engine?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which engine?

• l24 as-is
    • l24 rebuilt
    • l28et as-is (fresh turbo)
    • l28et rebuilt (fresh turbo)

The goal: Drive from Oakland, CA to Gonic, NH. Spend less than 1 week driving and $1k including food, shelter, and gasoline.

The Car: 1972 Datsun 240z with some rust issues (some of which need to be addressed before driving, others do not).

2009-06-13%2015.33.55.jpg

The Challenge: Make it run, sort out the suspension, make the brakes work, mount the fresh tires, mount seats+harnesses, legalize it, purchase AAA Premium, trust the car enough to drive 3,000 miles in one go. Do all before August 1st, 2009.

So far, I have quite a bit of work to do and precious little time in which to do it. I'm trying to decide whether I should stick to the l24 that's currently in the car and runs or install the l28et that's currently in a running 280zx and drive it back on EFI. It's a big choice, and dramatically affects my overall time budget. I'll sell whichever engine I do not use to help fund the drive.

I have a driving companion, but need to mount the seats I have in order for her to fit in the car (no seat is uncomfortable, no floor is even worse). I have a laundry list of things I need to purchase before taking off, and a lot of work to complete on the car before going ANYWHERE in it. Tonight, I hope to replace the wheel studs and re-mount the intake/exhaust manifolds to the l24 head I have. Tomorrow, I want to order parts so I can spend the next week beneath the car.

I'd love to get some cross-country trip prep tips any of you might have. I'm planning a fluid flush on either engine as well as new tires and brakes all around. Should I spend precious time rebuilding the engine, or just trust that it'll be fine for 3k miles?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my z makes 200 miles round trips about 3 times a month. My biggest problem is the exhaust. Idk how bad l28et's are for fumes or if they are any better on the lungs than the l24.

Best advice I suppose I could give. Angle the exhaust, seal the hatch, silicone the tail lights and fix all rust holes in the floor boards. If you feel dizzy pull over! Best of luck brother.

On a second note, Id make sure you're driveline is well oiled (tranny and diff) thats often overlooked and I learned the hard way.

extra fusible links, fuses, good cell phone maybe even AAA card. i would run a 5 speed for sure if you have one.

EDIT you have a AAA package. I would run the FI it would be easier on gas and less problems with elevation and Humidity posssible vapor lock issues.

Definately go with the l28 engine and fuel injection. My uncle had a 240 in Hawaii with the stock engine and I remember having to pull over and wait because of vapor lock.

I've driven cross country several times in my Z and the only time I got stranded was because of the alternator. I would make sure the starter, battery and alternator checks out. Also make sure everything is lubed up. When we got to California from Alabama my throttle kept getting stuck. I guess that was from the constant speed for hours.

As I've stated before, I brought my '78 280Z from California to Savanna GA, to Connecticut in one long trip, no problems. And this was before I fixed anything on it at all. Didn't fail me once (which is good, because I had no spare parts or anything on me, lol). I'd recommend being prepared, maybe even take a few spare relays.

My Z has been making at least 1-2 100 mile round trips per week, no problems, for the past several months. And I STILL haven't rebuilt the engine. I don't feel worried about driving anywhere (distance wise).

Dude, if you actually make the trip to NH, let me know. Not too far from here at all.

Wow, you guys really came through for me, what a great turnout of info! The l28et showed up today (thanks Gollum!) and I'm pulling it this week. Once it's out of the s130, I'll decide whether it's going in or getting sold. I do see a few huge pluses to putting it in, but it's a fair amount of work. Lots of vac lines to block off, lots of bungs and connectors on the intake manifold to remove, need to mate one of my 4spd transmissions to it or find a serviceable 5spd (I have a Nissan t5 available to me, but I'm not sure I want to use that).

As far as fumes go, there are a few good ways to deal with it. I've heard that a spoiler and vortex generators will make a big difference, and if I have time I'll add a belly pan. An extended exhaust pipe completely solves the problem, but I might just end up going with side-dump exhaust instead.

If I do the l28et, I want to go for simplicity and reliability. I'll be deleting all the unnecessary accessories, but keeping heat working is a must: all 90 lbs of my co-pilot demand it.

Oddman, this trip is definitely happening. I'll be visiting CT from time to time, my sister just finished orientation at USCT.

I have a few friends with s30's in NH, but they're all rotting away, unfortunately. I may still be able to get ahold of some uncracked dashes and some cool wheels, though.

It runs fine, but carbs and mileage (it'll average around the same as the l28et, but efi is less maintenance on long hauls). I'm cleaning up the l24, and will likely sell it as-is, but running. I suppose I should get a video of it running before I pull it out of the car.

It runs fine, but carbs and mileage (it'll average around the same as the l28et, but efi is less maintenance on long hauls). I'm cleaning up the l24, and will likely sell it as-is, but running. I suppose I should get a video of it running before I pull it out of the car.

My 2 cents: I'd put some miles on it BEFORE you leave on that long of a trip. My advice would be get it running with the L24 and carbs that are on there [turbo swaps take some time and have the tendency to nickle and dime badly]. Drive it around town in the meantime, and the main things that might go wrong will happen in town [hopefully].

one thing you could do very cheaply as well as improve reliability is the z31 EFI swap on the l28et, out of every z31 i have driven i have never had a single problem with its EFI or ignition system, even after i ran 10PSI on dying injectors.

id keep the l24 in it with carbs....go out and get a good fuel pump(electric)...(ive got a mr. gasket mini fuel pump ive had on my car for almost a year and it works perfect, they have them in stock at advanced auto parts)...make sure there is absolutely no crud in the gas tank what so ever...put new fuels lines and make sure your evap. tank lines are good...id also get a 60 amp internally regulated alt. its like 65 bucks at advanced and do the upgrade(so you know for a fact that you wont break down becuase of charging system..get a new battery, do all regular maintenance, and all fluids...and drive it around for a while to make sure there are no more bugs...and as someone already suggested fix all exhuast leaks....other than that you could do an electronic distributor with a new coil....but id stay l24 carb'd for the simple fact that if you do have some leftover crud in the tank and it gets to the carbs the carbs wont really care about it as much as fuel injection will and its no fun breaking down only to gas soaked on a long trip with the possibility of it doing it again...oh and because ive had a carb'd 240z for ever and driven it daily for the entire time ive had it with no problems

You haven'tasked but:

1. Map your route -- (I bet it's mostly I80) and plan your evening stops -- Then see if through the site you can contact members who live in the area. Get their phone numbers-- that way if you do have a problem,there is someone who could assit you. -- also, people know where you SHOULD be !!

2. The current issue of Muscle Car Review (July 09) has a great article on a cross country trip -- but make sure you take extra belts, hoses (including fuel) clamps, duct tape, a small tool kit and any part that might be hard to find on the road -- I have a V8 Scarab so I don't know how difficult it would be to find water pumps, fuel pumps etc.for your engine set up. But if a replacement part is hard to find -- take a spare

3. Take a few quarts of Oil, a quart of brake fluid, a gallon jug of anti-freeze, some Stop Leak

Should all fit in a plastic box (from Wal Mart)

I've ridden my Harley (Softail Custom) cross country and also took a rigged up connection for the cell phone -- make sure your cigarette lighter works or rig up something to charge the phone.

Good luck and have fun -- take a camera !!

Cross country will be a thing to remember --

Craig

My 2 cents: I'd put some miles on it BEFORE you leave on that long of a trip. My advice would be get it running with the L24 and carbs that are on there [turbo swaps take some time and have the tendency to nickle and dime badly]. Drive it around town in the meantime, and the main things that might go wrong will happen in town [hopefully].

I'm interested in how turbo swaps nickel and dime. I think keeping the l24 on there to suss out the suspension/drivetrain/noises/fumes problems is a great idea.

one thing you could do very cheaply as well as improve reliability is the z31 EFI swap on the l28et, out of every z31 i have driven i have never had a single problem with its EFI or ignition system, even after i ran 10PSI on dying injectors.

I like that idea. Have a link to a howto/diy/some-more-info? I've been searching for l28et swap info, and it's been frustrating. I've seen a lot of "how do i put an l28et into my s30" threads answered with "search" but search comes up with a lot of tangential info. Isn't there an l28et swap sticky somewhere? /rant

I just don't really feel like searching for MORE l28et info, there's a lot of mud to slog through in those search results.

id keep the l24 in it with carbs....go out and get a good fuel pump(electric)...(ive got a mr. gasket mini fuel pump ive had on my car for almost a year and it works perfect, they have them in stock at advanced auto parts)...make sure there is absolutely no crud in the gas tank what so ever...put new fuels lines and make sure your evap. tank lines are good...id also get a 60 amp internally regulated alt. its like 65 bucks at advanced and do the upgrade(so you know for a fact that you wont break down becuase of charging system..get a new battery, do all regular maintenance, and all fluids...and drive it around for a while to make sure there are no more bugs...and as someone already suggested fix all exhuast leaks....other than that you could do an electronic distributor with a new coil....but id stay l24 carb'd for the simple fact that if you do have some leftover crud in the tank and it gets to the carbs the carbs wont really care about it as much as fuel injection will and its no fun breaking down only to gas soaked on a long trip with the possibility of it doing it again...oh and because ive had a carb'd 240z for ever and driven it daily for the entire time ive had it with no problems

Got a new battery, alt will happen when the engine happens (I hadn't planned on it until now, thanks for the suggestion), fuel lines are all cleaned w/ compressed air, evap lines are all new, new battery is in, and I've been planning an electric fuel pump for awhile. One thing that wasn't completely sorted out for me is which one to use. I have the fuel pump from the s130 that I could use, but what's the easiest/quickest/most-reliable/least-expensive route that I could go? Best middle of the road option, in other words.

The tank is a bit more difficult to clean out, I'd like to have it coated, but I don't really think that's a realistic option. I might just put a filter in the line before the electric fuel pump, that way I can replace it any time it gets gummy. That increases the likelihood of running the pump dry, though. How does the Mr. Gasket handle running dry frequently?

I totaly agree on driving it quite a bit before taking the trip, whatever setup you choose, find the bugs, funny, NH was where I was planning my trip to.

I used to live in NH, and am moving back to the Nashua area (subject to change). I'm lucky enough to have a job waiting for me there, so I should be able to make it a fairly seamless transition as long as the drive goes well.

You haven'tasked but:

1. Map your route -- (I bet it's mostly I80) and plan your evening stops -- Then see if through the site you can contact members who live in the area. Get their phone numbers-- that way if you do have a problem,there is someone who could assit you. -- also, people know where you SHOULD be !!

2. The current issue of Muscle Car Review (July 09) has a great article on a cross country trip -- but make sure you take extra belts, hoses (including fuel) clamps, duct tape, a small tool kit and any part that might be hard to find on the road -- I have a V8 Scarab so I don't know how difficult it would be to find water pumps, fuel pumps etc.for your engine set up. But if a replacement part is hard to find -- take a spare

3. Take a few quarts of Oil, a quart of brake fluid, a gallon jug of anti-freeze, some Stop Leak

Should all fit in a plastic box (from Wal Mart)

I've ridden my Harley (Softail Custom) cross country and also took a rigged up connection for the cell phone -- make sure your cigarette lighter works or rig up something to charge the phone.

Good luck and have fun -- take a camera !!

Cross country will be a thing to remember --

Craig

Thanks for stopping by this thread, Craig. I was hoping you would. I'm going to have to add a cig lighter, since I've converted my current one over to be a momentary starter motor button. I hadn't really thought about the phone thing, but that's a good idea.

I don't have a spare wheel, so I'm going to bring a can of fix-a-flat and some compressed air (since fix-a-flat doesn't always refill the tire completely). Spare fluids are a good idea, but I see my storage capacity dwindling as they fill up the rear cargo area.

I'm not sure what parts are hard to find on the l28et. It has only one belt, and the only major failure point I know of already is fuel supply, caused by the injection system or a faulty fuel pump. I suppose spark could be an issue too, but as far as I know, all the commonly broken parts are commonly available. Somone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm definitely going to see if any people between here and New England will be willing to give me a hand should something go wrong, I might even be able to work out some backyards to camp out in. My route is right along i-80 pretty much the whole way through Ohio, and I hope to leave early enough that the weather won't be too much of an issue.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, I'm really looking forward to this trip! I'll keep you updated on the status of the car as it comes together.

Well I will post a "stick the l24". quickly swapping in a l28et, pluging hoses, cutting wires is just adding complexity to troubleshooting on the road..or the side of the road if it happens. Many "running" engines do not run so well right away after a swap. Broken wires, bad connections, stuck bolts etc all will play a factor, and you may not even know about them right away.

There are a lot of things to get done, and a motor swap is not a priority (assuming the l24 runs/sounds ok) Holes in floor, lights, wipers, signals, speedo/or tach (watch out for state troopers) You don't want to get pulled off for an unsafe vehicle.

Turbo motors are easy to sell, and bring $ to your project. I took my Z (with l28 with SU's on it) on my honeymoon 1200 miles roundtrip, with only one issue. A float bowl needle valve got stuck open. Pulled the cover, blew air through it to get the dirt out, and kept on driving. I should have replaced the fuel filter before I left. Doh!

Lastly. Take it easy driving it. Suddenly flooring it could burst a hose/belt etc that "looked ok at the time"

Final note. Bring a bunch of tools, some wire, ducttape, fuses, bits and pieces (nuts/bolts, screws, lightbulbs) It is amazing what you can jury rig to get yourself home, or at least to a parts store.

Good luck!

Scott