HybridZ

S130 vs S30 at high speeds 100mph+

my car is super solid at 130+, but maybe its all the new parts, airdam and spoiler, plus the wide low pro tires. you can actually feel the squat as speed increases. ive only done it once, that dang thing just kept on pulling, if it was safer i woulda kept going

• 4 months later...

With a front airdam and lowered aprox. 2 1/2" and a modified suspension (and around 280+bhp to push it), my 280ZX was stable all the way up to a speed of 249km/h (155,6mph), calculated, not "speedo".

I had to break then cause I ran out of straight, but it felt like the car could top out at somewere around 255km/h (159mph)

My friends car (280ZX) with no airdam and stock ridehight was getting nervous at around 185-190km/h (115-119mph)

No experience with flat out highway driving, liable to get your car taken away from you here for that :mad: But comparing the S30 and S130 for wind noise levels up to 200kph on a circuit and with the drivers window open, the S130 is much quieter.

Hi All,

Well I have had my 1977 280Z turbo up to between 145 - 150 mph which depends on how accurate the speedo is. But what I really go by is the rpms and other factors that I put into a transmission calculator: http://webspace.webring.com/people/cz/z_design_studio/

That speed was on the back stretch of VIR during several different track days.

Now my car is no where’s near stock and has been lowered, has coilovers, an airdamn plus pretty good power. The car was stable until I got into the climbing essses and then it gave me problems over about 110 mph, the back end became a bit squirrelly. I have added a rear spoiler that helps out tremendously in that area, but never got a chance to run the essses after the install.

The car is even more stable now with the MSA type 3 airdamn installed and has no problems running up to 6200 rpms in 5th gear. That would put me at about 150 mph. Please do not try that on the street as it is just plan stupid. Find a track and have some fun in a safe environment.

Damn, how fast were you going to make it bend back like that? Haha

Not that fast. He (yorgee) was following me back to justins house after a meet and we were only doing about 75.

He has since reinforced the air damn. Search his SN and you will see it.

On the topic of speeds over 100mph. I had the opportunity to once take my car (s30) to 150mph. The car seems to get lazy in steering (lag in response). The sounds was also deafing. The wind noise was insane. I could not hear my engine over the noise. Im hoping some of the data in the windtunnel thread about blocking the giant s30 mouth will help alleviate the problem.

Im pretty sure the s130 would be way more stable without that giant mouth and all the other things nissan changed since the s30. When I had a 280zx it seemed pretty planted imo.

I'm purely speculating at my speed but it was a highway run with airdam, spoiler, and tokico lowering. I was at about 5700-5800 rpm (roughly)in 5th gear. I don't know really since I was paying attention to the road and my exit was quickly approaching but once I finished beating an Impala SS, I stuck the clutch in and coasted for a bit. As soon as I popped the tranny out of gear, I heard a terrible clanging and was infinitely stuck in 1st gear! Turns out the T5 cant handle those speeds! Or I used the wrong fluid in the tranny....

• 2 weeks later...

When my LQ4 was cam only I raced a 07 R6s down the highway..

Hit 6500rpm rev limiter in 5th gear, switched to 6th and pulled for about another 5-6 seconds..

Speed calculator says I was doing in the range of ~170 mph.. Bike was falling back slightly at that point.

well in montana, no sane person would do 75, on my way to seattle I was doing 100 the whole way, no shimmies, just plain and easy crusing.

the most ive done stock was 120, I could've kept going but the road didnt provide for it.

I dont have an airdam, I didnt get the "lifted" feeling you mention of... I also dont have a front bumper, maybe thats part of it?

The only real mod I had at the time was the flat top p79 head. nothing else...

stock cadillac suspension, springs, tight bushings though.

One of the reasons the S30 is unstable at high speeds is because it had not no hood vents, it made a difference on the 280/77 but if you add that air dam you will notice the difference. I have a 240 and a 280zxT and the S130 feels a lot better and if you add the ZXR whale tail you will feel glue to the ground. the S30 just wonders to much and if you get a cross wind on a TX road you will feel like Mario Andretti on a road course.

1 hand holding camera? Shouldn't both hands be on the wheel goin that fast??

At 173.325+ mph at Bonneville, the Land Speed Z is a "one-handed-ride"

We do not have the 'hood vents' discussed, nor do we have an Air Dam...

El Mirage, with talcum-powder dirt exposed between hardpack is more demanding... you can check those runs out on You-Tube: "9500 RPM Shiftpoints" or "Bad Day at El Mirage"