HybridZ

'98-'02 F-Body Long Tube Headers?

Has any tried to see if '98-'02 F-Body long tube headers will work with S30 LSx swaps? I own a '69 Chevy C10 that I swapped a LSx into. I couldn't find ANY headers that were listed as being a direct fit with the LSx swap. So I bought the tightest tucking off the shelf headers I could find. In this case, '98-'02 F-Body headers. They weren't a direct fit, I had to move the collectors a bit and re-locate both O2 sensor bungs (one per header), but I didn't have to touch any of the primary tubes (except minor dinging).

I rough measured my 280z's frame rails and I have them at about 25" apart. My truck's frame rails vary from position, mostly narrowing as they move toward the firewall. Regardless the widest it gets is about 23" at its widest point. That gives me an inch more wiggle room on each side in the Z. I also measured how low they hang below the engine block pan rail, the lowest point hangs at about 5.5-6.0". As a point of reference, '98-'02 F-Body oil pans hang 5.00" inches below the engine block pan rail.

So if they did fit in the engine bay, they would still hang 1" (at most) below the oil pan using a F-Body oil pan in their LSx swaps (most do). I can live with that because I'd rather something smack the headers before slamming into the oil pan anyway.

If no one else has attempted this, I don't mind be the first. I will keep you guys posted, I am hopefully going to have my L28/5-Speed out this weekend (still looking for help..) and have the LSx/4L60e in its place by July 12th.

Questions?

Otherwise stay tuned......

When my motor arrived, it had the headers pictured. I did not even try to use them, but I wondered if I could of modified them to work. On the passenger side, it is real tight between the Z frame and the LS1 starter, fuel lines (moved per JTR) and brake lines.. it is just a tight space. Get your BFH ready to make room for the tranny as well as, enough room to get your hand in a position to plug in your 4L60E transmission connector and VSS. I forgot, on the driver side the steering shaft goes through the driver side motor mount -that is the dilemma of the driver side. Are you using JCI mounts ?

LS1_MOTOR_JPG.jpg?1176

Are you using JCI mounts ?

No, I am planning on fabbing some very similar to the type I used with my last Z that had a BBC 454 installed. They are very close to JTR sbc mounts, albeit the design is modified for my purposes.

Mine won't have near as much extra bracing like JCI's either,

Plan B: If my custom mounts don't work like I planned then I will end up using JCI's kit anyway in which case the F-Body headers will very likely not work in the slightest.