HybridZ

4.6/5.4 options

Ok I've seached and searched they say its been done and a tight fit but who has a picture of that swap or any more info than the 4.6/5.4 are wide. I know that but what does it really take to do this. I'm not scared to cut up my car but I like it the way it is not really it has no engine/trans. I can get these cheap/like free.

The real question is why cut it up to fit a motor that is longer, wider, taller and just as heavy (5.4 is heavier) than what you can build with an 8.2" deck pushrod motor? In most cases, you'll end up with something that costs more to modify, has less displacement and is bigger. That's why you don't see many.

Unless of course you just want something different --- in which case, go for it.

you can scrounge a dohc 5.4 out of a lincoln navigator.you would just need some bigger cams to make it wind up.engine isnt bad-its just expensive to work on and doesnt fit as easy when used for swapping.but hybird z is about creativity.if we wanted a cookie cutter car we would buy a subaru and buy parts from a magazine.

You could ---- but why would you? You'd end up with something that 1) costs more to mod, 2) is heavier, 3) requires more cutting 4) isn't as quick and 5) handles/stops worse than if you went with a similar displacement pushrod smallblock. So - you could go Lincoln Navigator -- I suppose you could also put a Duramax diesel in one if you wanted to. And let's not forget the 8" cowl it's gonna take to clear the 5.4L - likely even the cam covers would be above the fenderline.....

So - why would you want to do that Randy? There's creative and then there's just choosing poorly...

I looked at doing this swap a couple weeks ago, i'm still searching for the best motor to fit my needs. Of course the standard 302 comes to mind. Cheap to build easy to modify, HO versions have forged internals. Now comes the Modular 4.6 Good motor, makes enough power, fairly easy to modify, lots of aftermarket support. and the 5.4 not a ton of aftermarket support unless you wanna run boost. But they do run for a good while, and strong motors at that.

Its all about doing what you want, its not my car, im not here to tell you what to do, just give input where its welcome. If you have your mind made up then go for it, a quick rundown of stuff you will need.

Engine and Transmission (duh)

wiring harness and ecu for engine

radiator prefferably aluminum

custom engine and transmission mounts you will need to make sure the engine/headers clear the steering linkage.

Headers

Full exhaust, custom

Driveshaft shortened and correct yoke put on for whatever rear end youre using

The list goes on and on and on

These swaps will nickel and dime you to death, if you want to go the cheap route and just get it running you will probalbly regret it, take youre time and do it right.

I suggest getting some measurements from someone on this forum or possibly another to aid you in your fittament quest. If its been done once it can be done again, you just have to be up to the challenge.

I say go for it, do something a different.

I found this. That makes this look easy. I’ve had the z for 10 years now its time for a radical change.

its not mine I havent started yet

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112543

I’m just getting started with this conversion...460z that is.

I got the engine out of the u pull it yard for $165 plus tax, out of a mark 1993 viii lincoln with 128k miles on it. I have a t45 from craigslist for $50 (the guy had it rebuilt but the shop forgot to put oil back in it). It should be just fine for fitment purposes. The 260z I got off craigslist for $80, no engine, no transmission, no title, rusty but most of it is superficial. It took me a while to get the title reinstated. There are other issues holding me back... like my shop is an old corral that is falling apart. But I have managed to get an initial fit. The main problems are the exhaust vs. steering shaft and the oil filter and pressure sending unit vs. the steering rack. It looks like the remote oil change kits will solve that. The hood latch will have to be relocated. etc etc etc. Here are some pics of the first feasibility fit.

4.6z_thumb.jpg

4.6z 2_thumb.jpg

4.6z 3_thumb.jpg

4.6z 4_thumb.jpg

good luck with your swap.you might want to consider running megasquirt on that to elimminate the ford efi harness.but if you do run the ford efi get the ford book called evtm.it is a very good wiring harness book that is used for dealer repars.i used to be a ford dealer tech.it can be ordered online from the company that sells it to ford.about a 5.4 dohc-it caant be a bad motor if ford put a supercharged version in the gt and the new supercharged shelby mustang.it just takes up alot of room.

The 5.4 wont fit. I guarantee that. It wont even fit under the stock hood of a 99-04 mustang GT. It also has clearance problems with the brake master. Stick with the 4.6. You can get 1000hp out of them with boost. More power than you'll ever need and a boat load of torque.

I'm not concerned with the hieght of the engine I've got a 4-1/2 cowl hood on the 280 now.

I'd just hate to cut out the strut towers to install an engine that mean MORE suspention mods

roll cages and such. I've been playing with it for 10 yrs now honing my skills on other rides just to get this one right. All I want is a street legak go-cart to rip and run the roads. It'll be a blast.

• 4 weeks later...
I found this. That makes this look easy. I’ve had the z for 10 years now its time for a radical change.

its not mine I havent started yet

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112543

I’m just getting started with this conversion...460z that is.

I got the engine out of the u pull it yard for $165 plus tax, out of a mark 1993 viii lincoln with 128k miles on it. I have a t45 from craigslist for $50 (the guy had it rebuilt but the shop forgot to put oil back in it). It should be just fine for fitment purposes. The 260z I got off craigslist for $80, no engine, no transmission, no title, rusty but most of it is superficial. It took me a while to get the title reinstated. There are other issues holding me back... like my shop is an old corral that is falling apart. But I have managed to get an initial fit. The main problems are the exhaust vs. steering shaft and the oil filter and pressure sending unit vs. the steering rack. It looks like the remote oil change kits will solve that. The hood latch will have to be relocated. etc etc etc. Here are some pics of the first feasibility fit.

Wow! Amazing that an engine that big can fit it the front of a Z.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I find it SO funny that people bad talk the OHC ford motors so much. I've done it myself from time to time, but what it still comes down to for me is one big factor.

Potential potential potential. Sure you CAN get a DART block 302 and make 600hp, but there's been many more blown 302 blocks at a mere 500hp than mod motors. It's much more solid platform, and what makes the 302 super-light weight it takes back in potential. The 302 is the best motor for getting an easy 300 wheel hp for sure. But a lincoln DOHC 4.6 can also make 300hp, and without changing many parts. For the 302 you'll most likely need decent heads, a cam, upper/lower intake, and tuning the sucker with something like megasquirt or tweecer.

The mod motor will also need to be tuned, but just opening up the exhaust and intake, coupled with some other basic work will get you into the same HP range. Even the crappiest DOHC heads flow decently well, and have HUGE potential still with port work.

And they're NOT as heavy as some people like to imagine. Sure they're BIG, but they're not THAT heavy. I'd argue it's better for weight and distribution of it compared to any of the modern DOHC inline 6 motors, which are common swaps on this site and highly drooled over...

Read my lips (over the internet). The 302 isn't BAD, the RB and 2JZ aren't BAD, and the 4.6 isn't BAD either. Application application application application application. Past that it's preference.

I say AWESOME, I'm GLAD to see another 4.6 swap in progress.

Oh, and I bet you CAN fit the 5.4 liter. It'd just take a dry sump system and maybe some engine bay massaging. B)

The new coyote is already proving capable of more power than the 5.4 GT motor. The heads flow MORE in a SMALLER package. Rebuild with SVT H bream rods and slightly lower compression pistons and I'm SURE that's a 1000hp engine. The block is a stronger design than the GT block too. Crank is better engineered imo. They'll be much more affordable in time as well. :-D

I'm not saying the GT motor isn't awesome, just that Ford really outdid themselves with the new 5.0