HybridZ

4.6/5.4 options

It's also a pain to fit a BBF into a 65' stang, yet it fits quite nicely in a Z...

The SOHC shouldn't have an issue fitting on the width. The Lincoln DOHC fits, so you're fine. Any fitment issues you'll have will be related to exhaust/steering and belly/x-member. From the looks of the fitments I've seen you'll have some clearance issues on the firewall that require the motor to sit forward a little, but it'll fit.

Steering is the biggest thing I'm really worried about. I searched around the forum for pictures of steering mods, but somehow couldn't find any good examples. If I can do exhaust work and get something to fit, I can do that, but if the steering has to be relocated, I have no idea how to do that.

(It's out of the rain now too :) )

DSC08986.jpg

The heads can be swapped, I've seen it done before on an Interceptor. However, Gollum is right about the many block variants. There are quite a few parts that don't interchange between my Cobra block and my Continental block (first thing that comes to mind is the oil filter setup).

That's good to know. Once I get this engine in, if I'm REALLY still hungry for power, I can pickup an extra ~65 ponies that way.(although I'm sure I'll just want to drive the car, I hate it when it's sitting disassembled in the garage.) My wife's Mustang is slated to be painted over Thanksgiving (that's 1st in the garage work pecking order) so hopefully before the holidays I can look at pulling my z engine out.

Edited by yellowoctupus

• 2 weeks later...

yea, i was unaware that the vics had the sohc till i took a second look at it. i also found out that its a PI car. ive already got my l28 out and starting to pull the 4.6 out. looks like a wiring nightmare. ive got to get a couple haynes manuals and figure out what all can be deleted. ill start a build thread as soon as i make a little more progress.

Edited by richracing

Rich, you've got a dohc I take it? (just want to clarify from your post). I don't think wiring will be your biggest concern (yes, of course it needs to be figured out, and when you look at it all together it looks horrific, but I think once you classify groups of wires, it won't be that bad.) What is the width of the 'frame rails' running through the engine bay of the z? I have the whole front clip from my mustang engine sitting on the floor, I was thinking of taking some measurements off that and getting a rough idea of what motor mounts will look like. Somebody on this forum made a cradle for their 302, I think that would be a smart way of mounting this one too, if it all fits. I take it you have an auto tranny with this too?

I actually have a SOHC crown vic P.I. engine and auto transmission. I actually want to keep the auto trans because ill be boosting later on and drag racing it. luckily, i have the whole car so i can pull all of the electronics and anything else i need. however, im trying to keep the wiring, vacuum, emissions, etc. to a minimum. a haynes or chiltons would help alot with understanding what i need and what not, also im sure some wires will have to be spliced into the ZX chassis harness... so yeeeaaa. lots of fun ahead. as for the mounting of it, the width from strut tower to strut tower is 3" more than the width of the engine. itll be tight, but it will fit. i plan to use 2"x4", 1/4" rectangle steel tubing to make a subframe/ motor mounts, but i wont know for sure until i actually place the engine and trans into place. What do you plan to use for driveshaft, diff, shafts?

• 1 month later...

Cool thread! I have a pretty good head start on parts for the build. Its just a matter of gathering info and getting everything in order complete the transplant. I have a wrecked GT mustang 01 with the T56 trans. Car is complete runs and drives. I just picked up a 90 z32 for really cheap! I was going to just sell the mustang and buy a TT motor swap but I'm really leaning towards a really cool Hybrid Z with some good old american rumble.

I know a few things are in my favor, one being the rear mounted oil pan sump. From what I gather the trans is a good one as far as fitment on this car. I measured the width of the 4.6 and the width of the engine compartment it will fit.

I was woundering if anyone knew of anyone doing this swap on a z32 yet or knows a few things right off hand.

1. Will the trans tunnel need to be cut so the oil pan will clear the crossmember?

2. Were is a good place to get the material I need to get the exhaust peices like the base manifold that is already precut?

If I decide to do this swap and go through with it I'll post a follow along with alot of pics. I enjoy it when others do it! Spread the experience.