HybridZ

get a darn fire extinguisher...now!

grumpyvette

It is VERY reasonable insurance if you think about it. Both for the $$$ in cars and $$$ x 100 in potential medical procedures.

When I start messing around in the garage I make sure that thing is handy. You never know.

Also, teach your kids all the emergency procedures, where the extinguishers are located and how to use them.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one very simple to over look factor is the trash cans you select for the shop, that factor was brought home recently when a buddy's shop almost caught fire, he had the common plastic trash cans in his shop rather than the galvanized steel with lids that tend to be a bit safer.

now when I say that it might take a bit of explanation,

he had just changed out some batteries in a couple meters and thrown them into a trash can near his shop door where he kept the trash can, what he didn,t realize was the battery was still mostly charged even if it was 6 months old and it landed in a bunch of steel wool and paint, and sand paper from a recent project, the battery, shorted out,igniting the steel wool, paint, paper etc. and by the time my friend noticed, there were flames and the trash can it self was starting to burn along with the trash in it, if it was a metal can with a lid the chances would be far better that even if it caught fire, it would be less likely to catch the near by objects on fire than a plastic can that added fuel to the fire.

and theres a good chance a metal can with a snap on lid would not allow enough air to the fire to let it burn efficiently.

he had a fire extinguisher, luckily, and got it put out quickly but not before the trash can was mostly on fire and he swears the time between throwing the batteries in the trash can and the fire was under 7-8 minutes.

if you don,t think that can happen , try dropping a partly charged ,9volt battery into a pile of shredded 0000 steel wool, mixed with paint chips and paint thinner

you might be amazed at the results.

I told him he was darn lucky, if he had thrown the battery away as he left the shop chances are good that by the time he noticed the fire it would have been a major fire, I also suggested use of both metal cans with lids and a smoke detector would not hurt.

an getting the fire extinguisher refilled would be a great idea.

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=81

I have a nice SS garbage pail, and I finally get to brag that it is better than a plastic pail for safety reasons. I'll have to go home and tell my wife right away that it was a smart choice, and that I really DID need a SS garbage pail. hehehe.

On a serious note, it is a goood idea. Plastic pails are so common that we sometimes forget some of the safety benefits of a steel (or in my case a shiny SS pail)

After reading this post some time ago, I picked up another extinguisher. One at each door, so you don't have to go into the other side of the room to get your extinguisher, and risk getting trapped. Also so someone else can enter the room and grab it to rescue you if you do get trapped.

I keep one in my car. Actually helped save someone's house one time. Someone flicked a cigarette and it bounced into a dry, dead yard next to a house. I pulled over and started to fight the flames. I had it mostly contained by the time the FD got there, but it got pretty close to the house and fence.

I've kept one in my truck ever since I had a fuel-pump fire. Talk about a scary thought! Thank God liquid gas doesnt burn. The fire was actually snuffed out by the gas!

I had one in my RX7 back in the day (2002) and we all know those damn rotarys are ticking time bombs. My fuel dampener screw came out and started spewing fuel all over the place, it was only a matter of time before there was a fire.

My brand new TII carbon hood just about but the dust, but my ricerness when

I was 16 saved my car. I just thought it looked cool mounted between my rear compartments. =)

This. My beloved 280Z caught on fire today. I had parked it in preparation for conversion to an LS1 (all the fun parts in the garage), and I decided to take it out one last time. Did a quick check of wires, fluid levels, any leaks, etc., and then put a battery in it. Took a bit to start, which I assumed was normal for a car sitting for a month. Backed it out to the driveway, let it idle, then went inside to let it warm up. Heard it die two minutes later, and when I went out, there were flames coming out of the hood.

"OH S***, where's the fire extinguisher?!" Uh, yeah, didn't have one. Realistically, I'm not sure I could have put it out anyway. It got big very quickly. Called 911, and they arrived very fast. Sadly, the hood release latch had melted, so they had to pickaxe the hood and windshield cowl to get access to it. From the looks of the damage, the battery started it somehow. I dunno. Looked fine to me when I put it in. Never had any issues before.

Insurance says it'll probably be totaled. I had 100% Comprehensive with $0 deductible, but it's not "Classic Car" insurance. Hopefully they cover the $3K I spent on it.

Lesson learned - buying 3 fire extinguishers today! (House upstairs, downstairs, garage)

:-( - Mourns for Z.

This. My beloved 280Z caught on fire today. I had parked it in preparation for conversion to an LS1 (all the fun parts in the garage), and I decided to take it out one last time. Did a quick check of wires, fluid levels, any leaks, etc., and then put a battery in it. Took a bit to start, which I assumed was normal for a car sitting for a month. Backed it out to the driveway, let it idle, then went inside to let it warm up. Heard it die two minutes later, and when I went out, there were flames coming out of the hood.

"OH S***, where's the fire extinguisher?!" Uh, yeah, didn't have one. Realistically, I'm not sure I could have put it out anyway. It got big very quickly. Called 911, and they arrived very fast. Sadly, the hood release latch had melted, so they had to pickaxe the hood and windshield cowl to get access to it. From the looks of the damage, the battery started it somehow. I dunno. Looked fine to me when I put it in. Never had any issues before.

Insurance says it'll probably be totaled. I had 100% Comprehensive with $0 deductible, but it's not "Classic Car" insurance. Hopefully they cover the $3K I spent on it.

Lesson learned - buying 3 fire extinguishers today! (House upstairs, downstairs, garage)

:-( - Mourns for Z.

dude thats Effin depressing i had a similar incident happen with my old Mazda 626. I was Driving my dad to a Colonoscopy appt in Albuquerque and my car started sputtering and dying and generally acting itself a fool so i got onto the Gibson exit and once i got onto Gibson my dad was like "you don't know what your doing let me drive!" so i let him at it he ended up beating my poor little mazda the last mile to the hospital and finally the thing just dropped dead in the parking lot. So i get him all checked in and taken care of and call up my cousin who lived up the street to take me to the parts store to get a fuel filter for the car ( i had spark and new air cleaner soo....) i get my new fuel filter and got it installed (an effin pain if you've never changed a fuel filter on a FF Ford/Mazda you know my pain). So just as i finish getting the new one hooked up and ready to go they let me dad out so we go inside and get him and come back out not 5 minutes later and so my dad asks me is the car ready? and i tell him yea were about to test start it so we carry my dad to the car, he's TORE UP on anesthetics and pain killers, and we get everything ready to go i clean up the little bits of gas i see around and i have my cousin fire it up when i notice a little puddle on top of the distributor and as i tell me cousin "STOP" he kicks it and the whole thing went up like a small yeild nuclear device man! The whole bay caught on fire and me and my dad were standing right over the motor and we leaped outta the way and ripped off our shirts and started trying to smother the fire. I yell at my cousin to get a fire extinguisher and hospital security was across the way with a cop chattin away and they're just staring at us as my little blue mazda is going up in a big ass black cloud of smoke. I slam the hood a couple time trying to smother it and it doesn't go so we end up pouring all the antifreeze, sprite, dirt everything we can find to put this out. Finally we get it out, the MC is completely melted the intake mani, fuel rail, TB, all the wiring was melted it was a train wreck. What makes it worse the car was purchase BRAND NEW off the lot in '88 by my grandma and it was the car i grew up in and most of the car is in amazing shape 90k original miles all the interior panels working (at the time) a/c. It was a sad sad day. Not as sad as loosing a Z but it was a nice little car.... I gotta get that thing put back together already....

~J

I've got a halon fire bottle jammed between the driver's seat left bolster and the door sill. Never had a fire, but I've had a few scary moments with leaking fuel.

Wasn't halon banned in the 80s-90s cause it sucks the oxygen out of large areas, including peoples lungs, to put out fires? Well ♥♥♥♥, i don't think you'd have to worry about a fire than just make sure YOU've got fresh air and your set lol. I wish i had a Halon fire extinguiser when my mazda went up it would have saved me alot of hastle. I need to pony up and buy one already and quit being a lazy ass. Negligance with fire is far more costly than preparation it seems.

~J

You seem to have quite a few fire bugs around you sir;)

On subs we had small heavy metal cans for rags and such, with a lid that is always shut unless opened.

IF your thinking, many of my friends are careless, sloppy or unlucky,well, take the time to ask any of the older more experienced guys who work on cars,

no, its not really that, its just I know a great many people in the auto hobby and having built many of them engines over the years, and between electrical screw-ups welding accidents and stupid moves with fuel, I get to hear lots of conversations and shop or garage fires while VERY COMMON are usually put out and no big deal its something that needs to be pointed out and watched.

I doubt you'll find ANYONE whose worked around cars that has not at one time or another had a minor shop fire if they have been doing serious work with electrical systems, fuel system or welding for at least a few dozen years, most of those fires are minor in scope if caught early, and can be stamped out, or a garden hose, used, and people rarely brag about getting careless or consider a fire that they put out seconds after it started really news worthy .

its going to be a rare guy thats never seen hot welding slag, welding rods, fuel spills, sparks, or just electrical problems not cause a minor fire that they needed to put out, in 20-30 years.

IM just trying to point out the potential and limit the damages

Edited by grumpyvette

Sorry, my comment was tongue in cheek. No offense intended.

I have seen fires in cars, HAD a fire in one car, heavily bunt wires in one truck and two cars.

Because of the butt loads of navy training, my mannerisms don't change a bit when I see a fire.

I remembered when my wife had her first stove fire, I casually walked over and mentioned "not bad", she did not think it was that funny.

I Will also mention to my dismay, I do not have fire extinguisher, cept water.

Another thing, I have cut live wire with Klein's twice, ran a screw through a bungle of wires once, cut through some with a skill saw, etc.

BTW, arc fault breakers are the BOMB, except when you want to run a major motor,(or should I say engine...tehe), including your vacuum.

Having done a lot of welding on my project, fires are the rule, not the exception. A good set of lungs works on undercoating, etc. for little welding fires. If you are not welding bare metal, it is to be expected. Just don't be foolish enough to think it is safe. I have 3 fire extinguishers in my little 2 car garage, just in case something really lights up. Good advice.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...