HybridZ

V8 front end weight

I have been wanting for some time now to throw into my '74 260z a 350ci or 392ci V8, however I've had this thought that has kept me from doing so...

Is it true that the added weight of a V8 up front of this relatively lightweight car will make it turn like a brick?

It seems like even with a very stiff front suspension, the inertial forces exerted on the car from an autocross track will be too extreme and the car will not be nimble enough to compete with those 911's.

Is this just a phantom fear or should I upgrade my current L28 as much as possible to get around this weight (and potential $$$$) problem?

I don't believe that myself. If you look at the definitive weight comparison page you'll see that someone weighed, I think it was an L28, with transmission and got 530 lbs. Then just shave off like 100 to compensate for the transmission and you get 430 lbs (should be an underestimate of the engine as a safety margin).

From what I've read a EFI Ford 302 wieghs in at 411 while the all iron carburated version weighs closer to 450. And the all iron small block Chevys weigh around 550 and you lighten that up quite a bit with aluminum heads and intake. So from where I stand, a lightened V8 will give you anywhere from 2-5 times the power, or even more depending on the build, with little extra weight. And most, if not all, of the V8's weight is behind the cross-member and most of the V8 Zs I've read about had the weight more biased on the rear of the vehicle because of it.

I have been wanting for some time now to throw into my '74 260z a 350ci or 392ci V8, however I've had this thought that has kept me from doing so...

Is it true that the added weight of a V8 up front of this relatively lightweight car will make it turn like a brick?

It seems like even with a very stiff front suspension, the inertial forces exerted on the car from an autocross track will be too extreme and the car will not be nimble enough to compete with those 911's.

Is this just a phantom fear or should I upgrade my current L28 as much as possible to get around this weight (and potential $$$$) problem?

Everything I have read states it is only a 75 - 100 lb increase in weight with a SBC installed. Move the battery to the back and you end up with close to a 50/50 weight distribution.

Everything I have read states it is only a 75 - 100 lb increase in weight with a SBC installed. Move the battery to the back and you end up with close to a 50/50 weight distribution.

drop the motor back 3 inches from the JTR location and drop it down 2 inches and have 52/48!!

if you do aluminum heads, aluminum intake, aluminum water pump, aluminum radiator, aluminum pulleys, electric fan and a 4 speed with an aftermarket clutch and flywheel, you should be at or less then the stock l24/4spd with better weight distribution a lower CG and you get the set it and forget it feature of running a chevy v8. I personally love the way my scarab mounted sbc handles and drives, plus there's only 6 wires to make it run and drive!