HybridZ

4 cylinder Z?

Guest Shiin

I'm new so please don't rag on me too badly. This sounds like a Noob question, but here it goes. Can you run an EFI 4 cylinder engine in it? Just wondering because I am about to buy another Z, my first one was totalled(NOT MY FAULT, some lady hit it while it was park on the street). Anyways, I was wondering if you can make it a 4 banger. And was wondering if anyone has done it and how much will it cost, roughly. Thanks for any help you can provide. icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The L series motors all have the same mounting points to the tranny in the Z. There wasa company (years ago) that specialized in putting high performance 4 cylinder engines in the Z cars...they went out of business.

Although you may get help here and suggestions on your swap, this website is dedicated to "ultra-high performance" cars. I'm afraid that a 4-cylinder is kinda going backwards as far as the intent of this website. Good luck on your swap, though. Perhaps if you had some specific questions, after buying and reading "How to Hotrod and Race your Datsun" we can help.

Davy

Davy, thanks for the heads up. I was actually looking to do a 6 cylinder 7M-GTE swap. I was not aware that with was for "ultra-high performance' cars, but I am thinking about building a project Z that i might want to race. I just wondered if you can build a 4 cylinder Z that would be a good racer.

Thanks for your input Davy

Yes, it is possible--especially a slalom car. There was one guy in the SCCA here is the Bay Area that used to run a 240Z with a 4 cyl engine--it allowed him to run in a different class and slaughter the competition. That was about 10 years ago and I'm just not into SCCA anymore, sorry, so I can't tell you what's up there. If you are interested, log onto their website and look at their different classes--you may be able to meet the requirements of a particular class and be very competitive.

BTW--if you look on the screen at the top of the page, you'll notice the logo with the words "Ultra-High Performance Cars."

Davy

Guest Anonymous

I wouldn't mind seeing a Ford 2.3 Turbo in a Z. Sounds nutz to some probably, but in stock car tracks all over the country the 2.3 gets the guts screamed out of it in a season of racing. On the turbo versions its not uncommon to hear 450hp or more being put out by that engine. Its fairly small and would let you put a intercooler from hell in front of the radiator. In a lightweight Z, this would seem pretty potent. Backed with a mod'ed C4, it would probably scream pretty good for drag racing use. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

If a turbocharger is allowed a 16 valve ford sierra cosworth bdg engine is the answer. Its a 204-220 hp 2 litre engine with a t5 or mt75 trans so its very competive in the 2 litre classes. With bolt on parts it develops 360 hp. With a bigger turbo and all the expensive stuff 600 hp is possible. These engines can be bought for 1500-?$ complete in england. a 3 litre 240 hp porche 968 engine could be fun but $$ and it had to compete against bigger engines.

Everybody thinks differently.

If I were going to 4 cylinder power I would use a nissan fj20 turbo engine. You could find these at a local jap importer. Its a very strong engine. Nissan were going to use it as a base for a turbo f1 engine but pulled the plug at the 11th hour. They rallyed it in 2.4 lt n/a form and it put out over 260 fwhp with a solid tourque curve. It puts out around 205 fwhp in turbo form from the factory. In aussie and New Zealand they are using standard internals and puting out 450 to 500 hp in speedway form and puting shame to a lot of v8 guys. It should be pretty easy to put in a z. People a putting them into 1600's (510's) al over the place. The fastest 4 cylinder drag cars in aussie ran fj20's. They are cheep two $800 buck N.Z. roughly $350 usd. Weight would be back toward the rear as well.

Guest Anonymous

Isn't the Zetec engines Ford uses in some of its smaller cars a 4 valve Dohc engine? For some reason I thought it was of a cosworth or cosworth-like design? Didn't they come in like the Mercury Mistake (I mean, Mystique) and the Ford (sorry the model escapes me at the moment), I believe its like 2.0 L or so. As I recall some of these engines are being used by the Lotus 7 clone builders now a days in the UK.

Regards,

Lone

Lone,

Cosworth was based one the pinto block and comes in many different spec with diferrent turbos. Zetec has different block and emission style heads, smaller valves that are placed further towards the side of the combustion chamber. Good for the world, bad for power. The cosworth is lots heavyer as well but much easyer to get big hp from.

I have a 95 mercury mistake and that name fits it just fine. The Ford version is the Contour. It is a Zetec motor and it has given us nothing but hell. It maybe that because 95 was first model year or who knows what but it has had to have 2 head gaskets in its lifetime and a new head once, and just recently it has died again and now sits in my driveway useless. It will crank but not even fire yet there is spark getting to the plugs. I haven't had time to diagnose it yet and may just get a complete engine out of a 96-99 mystique or contour so I don't have to deal with it. My mother gave us this car because she got a new Lincoln LS and now I see why she was so quick to just give it away icon_smile.gif Oh well at least its paid for a guess icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info on the Cosworth Fords, appreciate that. Sorry to hear about the mistake Locutus, I had a tempo before, trust me I feel your pain. icon_wink.gif

Sounds like a good motor Len is talking about too. What Toyota's did those come in Len?

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

here are my 3 four cylinder suggestions...

1) a SR20DET from a nissan silvia. this motor has tons of potenial... it is said the motor can hold up to 450HP without internal mods. even tho they are a JDM motor they are pretty abundant in the US becuse of their popularity with the 240sx crowd.

2) A 3S-GTE fom a MR2. ive heard these motors are crazy at developing power. they came with both superchargers and turbo(s)? from the factory, not sure which years tho. put it this way... the TOP SECRET supra is a widebody, highly tuned, awesome supra from japan. it is one of the fastest supras in the world, they swapped out the stock supra inline-6 for a 3S-GTE four cylinder... that shows the potential for this motor. and they arent just a JDM motor so you might be able to find these in local junkyards...

3) the 4A-GE from a 86-87 Corolla GTS A.K.A. Hachi-Roku. these motors are indestructable. they arent as powerful as the engines mentioned about but accept a turbo nicely. they beg to be revved and will do it all day long. also, this motor probably has THE biggest aftermarket, even bigger than the civic' and integra's, so you can always get more power if you want.

i found myself seriously thinking of a 4 cylinder motor swap a couple weeks ago. it would be relatively easy to mount a 4 banger behind the front wheels, i think it woud be awesome to have a mid engine Z. but, im kida scared about custom motor mounts ect... 280zxt motor for me!

Guest Tht1KSguy

what? nobody's mentioned the Quad 4 yet? the thought crossed my mind once.. briefly... afterall add a turbo & IC and you have 300hp - probably more, there's a rear drive T-5 bellhousing available, the engines are a dime a dozen. You'll be fabbing engine mounts anyway. Kit Car magazine had a buildup a few months back that i remember coming from Hot Rod or Car Craft, one of the big magazines. It talked about the engine variations and the best parts from various years.

-Ryan

Here is some other 4 bangers.

A bmw m3 2.3 or 2.5 it revs like crazy in grp a trim. Or maybe a mercedes 2.3 or 2.5 evolution they develop 195-215 hp stock or the new supercharged 192 hp 2.3. A crazy swede made 1000 hp with a turbocharged 2.3 and drove it in a 8 sec vega. How about the aftermarket 300/330 hp 3.0/3.3 superduty pontiac. Gordon spice drove such a engine to victory in his class on lemans some years ago. Ford also makes some midget race engines with as much as 202 cui.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen the Mitsu 4G3D (?) Eclipse Turbo 2.0l engine.

The engine has been used to take 3100+ pound AWD Talons and Eclipses into the 9 second 1/4 mile. One guy (David Buschur) built a RWD Eclipse using this engine and a Powerglide.

There is a large aftermarket for this engine and it is quite strong internally.

If your going to put a little motor in, might as well make it the 3 cylinder 1.0L motor from the geo metro's. Then tune it to get 60-70mpg maybe more. It would be the best looking econo-box out there, you could challenge ricer's to economy runs, and still be able to beat them off the line. Has anyboby mentioned the Honda DOHC VTEC motors yet? I just skimmed through the thread, and didn't see it. VTEC motors can also make a great deal of power N/A or turbo. I'm guessing that they would be easiest to come by, and possibly the cheapest to build; and then still run with the other power house 4 bangers.

Guest Anonymous

Seems to me a Quad 4 would be pretty nice in a Z. Wouldn't be a simple swap, because of the computer and all the other stuff, but most of the other motors wouldn't be "blot in" either. My brother had a Pontiac Grand Am GT back in 92 or 93 with a high output Quad 4 (the newer body style). That thing was nice! Very quick, plenty of power. And it seems to me an early Z would be a bit lighter than a Grand Am. We drove it to New York City from Michigan (and back!) over a weekend, and it hit 125 + MPH many times!