HybridZ

Mat's "Flat Black Z" Build Thread

YIKES!! :shock:

ALL of my driveshaft bolts were loose..

I didn't want to say that (because you had specifically enumerated it before) but I KNEW I felt like an old lady repeating to myself "It just sounds like more than an unbalanced wheel..."

My uncle, years ago, ground down a 12mm (?) box wrench so that it was only 3-4" long, and specially clearanced on the outer edge from about 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock, specifically for the axles. I find I tighten them best by fitting the wrench onto the nut, finding a place for it to jam up against, then rotating the axle with force to tighten it. Make sense?? you can find other ways to apply significant torque to the SHAFT, while the wrench butts against something and tightens down each nut in turn.

Of course, its old hat and if you already knew about it, nevermind... but tips like that never hurt.

Glad to see you found it before it went critical at highway speeds or something!!!! Crap like that always makes you knock on wood, huh?

Glad to see you found it before it went critical at highway speeds or something!!!! Crap like that always makes you knock on wood, huh?

Yes, it had only been shaking for maybe 2 or 3 miles but things can go south rather quickly. Like I said, I'm very glad these are forgiving cars.

Thanks for the tip on the wrenches, I've done things like that on suspension parts, but my 280Z has plenty of room to get a good grip on the DS bolts. I did the re-torque on my lunch brake, it only took about 5 mintues.

----

My buddy just called me, saying he got the two sets of injectors off of his spare Merkurs, it looks like I will be going with the 380cc SVT injectors.

I'm also watching some 390cc injectors on ebay that end this evening, so I will definitely have new injectors by tonight!

• 4 weeks later...

Strange Spool.

Nah I'm going the OBX route. See what damage I can do with that. Chris is doing all the trial and error for me :D

[sorry dude, we'll get it locked up soon!]

Let us know how that OBX goes! I've been wary about reports of their spotty QA (washers backwards) but for $300 I'd still like to see what it can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates:

My new one-off O-ring fuel rail will be coming in the mail soon. When it does, I will mount my Mitsu VR4 390cc injectors on my freshly shaved non-California 75 mani.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't need my old manifold anymore, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing it.

It's not perfect, and can't be used with a mechanical linkage, but looks much better than stock. It's a 75 [non-webbed runners] California model with a plugged EGR port, ported out to 60MM at the TB entrance. No holes were permanently plugged and it's held up to 9 psi of boost. PCV Valve is blocked off with a threaded plug. I need the Fuel Pressure gauge, so you would have to supply that yourself. They can be bought at Summit for $20-$25.

See the for sale thread here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/79752-zxt-parts-for-sale-83-harness-afm-ecu-coil-efi-fuel-pumps-etc/page__st__20__gopid__851027entry851027

Edited by flatblack280

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jake!! [Xnke] My rail is on, with my 390cc DSM INP-008 Injectors. I haven't installed the gauge yet, I'll do it tomorrow after I get some Teflon tape.

I'm running a returnless rail, and nothing is leaking so far. The rail Ts off, and the FPR is in line after the rail. Jake's hold downs are quite impressive, and work really well. Unfortunately they are hidden and aren't readily visible [although that was the point ;)]

I'm still getting some noise. If I can't mess with the settings, I'll be getting some Magnecor KV85s as soon as my old mani sells.

103_1567.jpg

103_1568.jpg

103_1570.jpg

103_1571.jpg

103_1572.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My motor is smoking hardcore and using a TON of oil. Went from just over the H to under the L on the dipstick in maybe 100 - 150 miles.

I'm going to pull my plugs again, but 4 of them were oily when I pulled them a couple of days ago.

It is smoking white out of the tailpipe at idle, which I think wouldn't happen if it was the turbo.

I'm going to swap in my L28ET. It *could* be the turbo, but it doesn't have any additional shaft play, and I want to put the lower comp motor in there. I was planning on doing it before Branson Z Fest anyways.

My Magnecor KV85s came in yesterday. New BF Goodrich G-Force Sports are sitting in a stack at the house. I'll get pictures of them installed soon.

I'll be ordering the HLSD when I get the rest of the money for the Z31.

Edited by flatblack280

My motor is smoking hardcore and using a TON of oil. Went from just over the H to under the L on the dipstick in maybe 100 - 150 miles.

I'm going to pull my plugs again, but 4 of them were oily when I pulled them a couple of days ago.

It is smoking white out of the tailpipe at idle, which I think wouldn't happen if it was the turbo.

I'm going to swap in my L28ET. It *could* be the turbo, but it doesn't have any additional shaft play, and I want to put the lower comp motor in there. I was planning on doing it before Branson Z Fest anyways.

My Magnecor KV85s came in yesterday. I'll get pictures of them installed soon.

Its unfortunate that the Flat top took a dive! But i guess thats just an excuse to upgrade right?

Its unfortunate that the Flat top took a dive! But i guess thats just an excuse to upgrade right?

Yeah, my spark tables are embarrassingly low. I know there is quite a lot of power lurking in my timing, so I'm excited to see the gains.

First regional SCCA event is this weekend, so I'll be busy working on that, maybe next weekend I'll get some time to swap the L28ET long block in. Shouldn't take too long.

thats kind of funny FLATBLACKZ i own a flat black 240z and a red 86 300zx we almost have the same cars lol

Yep. Just sold the Z31 Turbo and cannabalized the funds for my S30 and Subaru. They are really fun cars though.

I do know the car in your sig is not your car ;)