HybridZ

Mat's "Flat Black Z" Build Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I've been delving into the Subaru world for a while, but I've been dropping some coin on Z stuff, I haven't forgot about it :)

OBX HLSD should be here by week's end, the washer/bolt upgrade is sitting in a box in my Impreza. Pictures will be uploaded as I do that swap.

I am preparing for Branson Z Fest, so first thing on the docket is fixing my wideband. I ordered a terminator finally to see if my LC-1 is actually doing its job. I also ordered an AUX cable for my friend's LM-1 in case I need to buy it from him and ditch the LC-1.

My first Autocross was this weekend. I've not had this much in my S30 since I first bought it.

My PAX time was rubbish, but I beat most of my friends in raw times, I only got ousted by my buddy in a bug eye WRX with a tune on ~16 psi. [it was very very wet]

DSCI0172.jpg

DSCI0170.jpg

DSCI0168.jpg

DSCI0181.jpg

Yeah. That wet :)

DSCI0129.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pictures!!! very natural exposure, what kinda of camera was that?

SLR... My buddy Zach's camera. He also just got a GoPro Hero. It's very cool.

I got my OBX HLSD installed last night. I am kicking myself for not doing this sooner, it's AWESOME.

Powerslides are butter, traction through corners is predictable and stable, launches are great.

I even have a great 'surge' feeling when I drop the clutch that I never got with the open.

I'm having some more goofy issues with MS, I can't rev over 4500 RPM. I'm not going to the strip again without being able to shift over 5k. I'm going to start over with Mike's initial F54/P79 tune and hopefully that will work.

*edit*

Uploaded Mike's tune, modified for my boost spikes [up to 11 psi] and everything is fine. I can feel the power plateau after about 5k, which I can only guess is due to my spark tables.

I did however, get it up to 6,000 RPM :D Something I have not done in a long, long time.

Edited by flatblack280

• 2 weeks later...

What a weekend!

Branson Z Fest was fun, but busy, per usual.

I snapped a u-joint at the track of Friday, and rebuilt both sides of the half shaft on the back of a trailer, with the help of Bob [MAG58]. That took the entire day, so I didn't get to play with my "track maps" that I had made to run on race gas.

I still needed to drive to Branson, then back home, so I lightly rolled into first and made a whopping 14.6 pass in the 1/4 mile. Didn't want to beat on my fresh $9 AutoZone U-Joints too bad, so I figured that was enough.

I have decided to swap in some Z31 Turbo CVs that I will be buying off of SATAN, and get my L28ET in the car ASAP. I felt really far behind everyone there. No more playing with this stupid flat top motor.

My front right brake rotor is screwed, so I stopped at the shop today to pick up a newish rotor and caliper setup I had laying around. While I was there, I popped the valve cover off my L28ET. One of the hydraulic lifters on my #4 cylinder is 'deflated,' so I need to track down a spare lifter if possible.

Next weekend is an Autocross weekend, and I'm still not finished with my Impreza. I'd like to have the L28ET in before July, if possible.

I had a great time hanging out with Jason [Racin Jitter], Matt [Evil Twin], Mike G, Matt [FlawleZ], Marc [streetFighter], John [sATAN], and everyone else. Good to meet you guys.

Special thanks to Danny Bokamper [bowtie Z] for lending me tools, and a trailer to do repairs on, and Bob for helping my incompetent arse fix that axle. Also thanks to Steve for lending a hand and calling around to try and find some spare axles for me.

Edited by flatblack280

My busy summer continues...

The local region of the SCCA hosted their 3rd Solo2 event of the season. I'm getting better, but still need much work on my driving skill.

DSCI0252.jpg

DSCI0255.jpg

My brakes are RUBBISH. They feel like jello. I have a re-manufactured master cylinder in there from AutoZone, I would imagine that is the problem.

Interestingly enough, my boss had TWO complete front axles from an 84 and an 85 Toyota 4x4 Pickup laying in his shop, he was going to convert his old 4Runner to solid front axles. I told him I was thinking about converting to the S12-8 calipers when he told me about what he had.

Chris [TR] and I went over to his house last week, and there were two sets of S12-8 calipers sitting in a box. How lucky are we. B)

My right front rotor got completely chewed out by running two different pads down to the squealers [My laziness/apathy is to blame]. I need to swap on my new rotor onto the hub with the longer studs to accommodate my Rotas. I'm hoping to tackle that project tomorrow or Wednesday night.

If the calipers don't significantly improve my brake pedal feel, I'll be looking for another master cylinder.

Edited by flatblack280

The S12+8 swap is complete.

The brakes work MUCH better, but I'm getting some serious fade when I really get on the brakes [doing multiple 60-10 stops in a row]. I got out of the car and the right caliper was smoking. After they cooled down, they worked fine again.

I've bled both front calipers twice, I didn't see any air come out. They are "junkyard" calipers, so maybe they are partially siezed? I know my master cylinder needs to be replaced again, but I never got really bad fade like I get with these.

Also, my left side is making a TONNE of brake dust. Once again, I don't know if the pad is getting broken into the rotor yet or not. I might need to replace it soon as well.

On to pictures:

Old Rotor

103_1842.jpg

103_1844.jpg

103_1845.jpg

103_1843.jpg

Edited by flatblack280

Probably the only thing wrong with your brakes is old nasty contaminated brake fluid. do a complete fluid change, re-bleed everything, including the master, and see if that helps.

What pads are you using?

Probably the only thing wrong with your brakes is old nasty contaminated brake fluid. do a complete fluid change, re-bleed everything, including the master, and see if that helps.

What pads are you using?

The pads that came with the calipers :)

I installed them just to see if they worked. They do, but... Not well.

I flushed the fluid again yesterday, the driver's caliper puked out some nasty brown. It's got new fluid in it now. The driver's side ate 2/3 of a pad in about 50 miles of driving. I have no clue how that is possible, but it is. The massive amounts of brake dust on my wheel confirms that I'm not crazy and it did go through almost an entire pad.

Also, my brakes started to shudder quite a bit yesterday while I was on my way out to the lake. I think a rebuild might be in order.

• 1 month later...

The Z is kind of falling apart. I have two more events this season, then it is going down for a major overhaul.

The engine smokes/eats oil, the tranny leaks, the passenger frame rail is getting twisted, and the driver's side door handle broke internally so I have to open the door from the inside. my new brake swap also vibrates really bad when warmed up.

I picked up another 5 speed tranny for $40 this weekend [whooo]. My current one is leaking rather profusely.

I am finally moving into a house where the Z will live inside a garage full time, so I plan on getting much done.

Fall/Winter plans:

* Swap in L28ET [i need to replace a few hydro lifters] and 'new' 5 Speed

* Get my wideband working, but for reals this time.

* Tune new setup

* Probably swap turbos. My car smokes at idle occasionally and it's mega embarrassing.

* Install rear struts that Trumpet has been holding hostage

* Swap in new rotors? Fix whatever is vibrating the brakes.

* CV swap or roll the dice on some solid U-joints. Probably the latter because I'm cheap.

If given time/money/motivation:

* Finish exhaust. It's getting old. Or maybe that's just me.

* Mount dual Subaru e-fans

* Re-shell? Paint? RH frame rail is tweaked so 464630's fate is sealed :/

Edited by FlatBlack

I don't think I wanna know what the rest of your car looks like. I thought mine was bad... well it is, but you know what I mean.

:shrug: It's a Z.

At the time of purchase, the car had a 1 year old paint job and it ran and drove. I was new and didn't know what to look for.

I know better now. I'm talking with a guy who will hopefully sell me a 78 that's been sitting in a shop for over 5 years. Frame rails, battery tray, everything looks AWESOME except the hatch deck and spare wheel wells, which are pretty ate up. I'll update as that happens.

That rust is still very fixable, what is the rest of the car like?

Battery tray is gone, dog legs are gone, the spare tire well and hatch deck are salvagable, but I don't know how to weld.

Basically my car looks comparable to when Austin [240Hoke] began his overhaul. He's skilled, and I am not :D

The frame rail is what makes me want to just move on, it's now torqued [rotationally], which I know has messed with the body structure because the passenger side door is harder to close now.

Anyone want to weld all that up for me :D

Edited by FlatBlack

Battery tray is gone, dog legs are gone, the spare tire well and hatch deck are salvagable, but I don't know how to weld.

Basically my car looks comparable to when Austin [240Hoke] began his overhaul. He's skilled, and I am not :D

The frame rail is what makes me want to just move on, it's now torqued [rotationally], which I know has messed with the body structure because the passenger side door is harder to close now.

Anyone want to weld all that up for me :D

Bring her to indy and I will weld it up for you.