HybridZ

LS3 build thread. Z-VETTE

Guest NESS89

Guest NESS89

All right guys, so after a few months of buying all the parts I planned were needed for the swap (like the stand alone computer and harness, all the Russell fitings and braided line, filters, fuel pressure regulator, radiator, electric fans, battery,.....) we have finally began some real work on the Z. I pulled the old 2.8 in my cramed 1 car garage and had the car towed to a buddys shop (AAA is Awsome). There we took measurements of here and there and more measurements here and more over there.

We got a wire hanger and bent the piece to roughly make a template of what we thought the transmission crossmember should look like. Then my buddy took it to his job and had it bent out of steel. We also cut, bent, welded and squeezed the new crossmember where the Corvette style motormounts would sit on. We had the engine sitting in then we pulled it out to tweak it a bit, then we put in back in, and repeated these steps like 5 times, atleast the forklift made it easier. Now we just have to bolt the new crossmember run the fule lines, do the wiring, get a custom driveshaft, fit the radiator, run the battery cables, and much more. Hopefully we get it running the next couple of weeks.....

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

DSC00574.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

2008 LS3

DSC00457.jpg

2002 T56

DSC00606.jpg

T56 Fittited for the braided clutch line

DSC00602.jpg

LS7 clutch and flywheel

DSC00619.jpg

Custom aluminum brackets for the Autometer gauges

DSC00610.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

4" Aluminum intake tube welded for the MAF

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

Welded some -6 fittings into the gastank for the braided lines

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

Plate

DSC00650.jpg

Battery mounted behind the passenger side seat

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

JTR Radiator and brackets

DSC00680.jpg

DSC00681.jpg

Custom fitted and drilled and cut LS1 Camaro electric fans made to fit the JTR radiator, mounted up like they belong together.

DSC00671.jpg

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

DSC00674.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

Fuel filter canister

DSC00684.jpg

Motor hanging above the car

DSC00686.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

Still has to go down and back a bit

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

Crossmember just sitting there

DSC00695.jpg

DSC00696.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

great pics. i am assuming the crossmember is just a mockup, and not the actual piece you'll be resting the engine on :)

How are you doing your wiring, and since you're local, maybe I can bug you for a hand with my LS1 wiring, hehe.

Guest NESS89
great pics. i am assuming the crossmember is just a mockup, and not the actual piece you'll be resting the engine on :)

How are you doing your wiring, and since you're local, maybe I can bug you for a hand with my LS1 wiring, hehe.

Thanks guys! Yea that crossmember is just to see how low and back the engine has to sit and to make sure the steering clears. I doubt that one can hold the LS3 without the help of the forklift.:-D The wiring should be simple because Im usig the standalone harness and compter from GMPP. I think its like 2 wires to hook up and connect a battery cable to the engine fusebox and thats it, Im not doing anything to the cars harness since all the lights work. And Im down to helping out wenever and werever i can. What part of the Bay are you in? Oh and finished the plumbing of the fuel lines today, just gotta tuck them up and hold them tight against the tunnel.

DSC00699.jpg

Looking good. Sorry I didn't have time to get the measurements for my new crossmember for you. Mine is a 77 280Z anyway so there might be some differences. It's best for you to do the mock up and decide to where to put the engine, then build your own crossmember. Just make sure you don't drill holes into the frame rails like I did. I think my latest design for the cross member looks good, simple and strong. Check out my web site http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2079260/7 for pictures. Let me know if you need help with the wiring. Good luck

Guest NESS89

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinhZXT viewpost.gif

What is your plan for headers?

We got the stock LS1 Corvette manifolds off a 2000 LS1 vette that were probably going to modify to see if we can get them to fit, if that doesnt work we know someone at sanderson headers that can get us some headers to test fit and see what works best. And if that doesnt work Ill probably have to go the custome headers rout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxilary viewpost.gif

is that a surge tank or a huge fuel filter that's on left of the aeromotive unit?

Its an Aeromotive huge fuel filter, gotta make sure that gas is nice and clean. :-D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NESS89

So we got the enigne mounted up in its final location. Just picked up the driveshaft the other day. Put power to the fuel pump and checked for presure throught the fuel presure regulator. We also modified the Camaro alternator bracket to work with the Corvette accessories and mount the alternator in the right location. Bought the upper and lower radiator hoses from Napa Auto, the upper hose is from a 99 corvette and the lower one is from a 79 mustang with a 429. We then removed the engine again to do some last minute grinding and to see where we are going to run the heater hoses. Will probably finish the last minute wiring today. Ill probably be ordering the headers from JTR soon since thats the last item that is left to get started on the exhaust.

DSC00707.jpg

DSC00706.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

Guest NESS89
Hold your horse on ordering the JTR headers mister. You will be sorry if you did. The JTR headers won't work with the C5 mounts you have there.

LOL. I picked up the headers today and test fitted them on my engine with the Corvette mounts, and, the right side hit the mount. I moved the mount forward 1/4" and modified it a bit to make it work. Now it fits perfectly, tomorrow were going put the engine back in the car and i hope they fit in the car and clear everything. So far the left side looks like its going to clear but well see when i get it all in there again.

DSC00757.jpg

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00755.jpg

DSC00754.jpg

The driver side header will not give you any problem. However it's all depends on how far and how low you set your motor. The steering shaft may get interfered with the left motor mount or possibly the alternator. You will also need to cut the square boss on the engine on the right side of the header in the last picture. Your driver side header will hit that boss.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, that's awesome! i want to do a v8 swap and i wish i had the know-how to do this myself, but i don't : (

sorry it's a non-sequitor, but do you know of a shop that would do a swap in the sf bay area?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NESS89
Can I ask you what made you go with the LS3 over say the LS1?

Just because its a 6.2 out of a corvette, and because i got it brand new for $3200. couldnt let that deal pass.