HybridZ

Wheel adapters...don't fit hub?!

I purchased a set of "never installed preowned" wheel adapters some time back. When I purchased them the seller indicated they were for the S30 to fit Honda wheels. The adapter's center hole is too small to fit cleanly over the S30 hub alignment flange.

The adapters are marked as follows:

MML CROW

4x114.3mm

4x100mm

Made In USA

The inner diameter measures out to 70.28mm

Are these designed for something else? Possibly a ZX? It would be good to know what they are supposed to fit for resale or trade towards what I need. I'd have to press the studs out to chuck it up in the lathe to make them fit, and I really don't want to do that.

Thanks

-Todd

Well, being "preowned" limits options. If you have a friend or machine shop, just put them on a lathe and machine the hole to the size you need. You won't have to take off too much material and don't have to go all the way, just open it up enough to fit over the lip on the center of the hub. Won't take too long or cost too much. (At least that's what I would do) Also clean up any rust or buildup on the hub and take a good measurement to see how much of a difference there is and how much the hole needs to be enlarged.

Chucking it up in the lathe IS a serious option; My 9x20 will support the swing, but there's no way to chuck the part without making the fixture in either my 3" 3-jaw or 4" 4-jaw. You can't get around the studs to grip the outer face. I will try to get ahols of Ross later today...

Propane-induced heat and my 1.5 ton arbor press indicated that wasn't going to be as simple as you would think. Those bad boys are IN THERE. Considering these adapters are closing in on $200 after shipping from MM, I was not going to rush in to tear them up if I can help it (have to successfully remove and replace 16 studs keeping them square) ... so I posted for advice :D

I'm still considering how I might make a >simple< jig to turn these bad boys with the studs in place while keeping them concentric, but in the meantime want to explore the other options.

So nobody happens to know the hub size for a ZX?

...Are these designed for something else? Possibly a ZX?

You have to run Honda wheels if they are 4-on-100mm bolt spacing...you probably already knew that though.

All S30's and S130's (and early Z31's) run 4x4.5" or 4x114.3mm bolt patterns. Honda wheels run 4x4.25" (or 4x100mm). Honda studs are M12x1.5 and Nissan studs are M12x1.25.

Hope this helps, -hughdogz

I've just upped my dose of Zyban to try to quit smoking (again) so my head's a little more fuzzy than normal today. Literally, I'm not in my right mind at the moment! Normally I'd respond sarcastically in a just-poking-fun way, but I don't trust myself to type it in a way that would be funny and not just piss you off. :nono: It's funny in my head, though. :D

The original problem was that this adapter didn't fit on my 280's hub because the wheel bearing interfered with the too-small "doughnut hole" of the wheel adapter. Fixed it by opening the doughnut hole on my lathe to tightly fit over said area of interference. All better now.

Mostly I was curious as to what hub this adapter was actually designed for. Seems nobody knew. It's REdesigned to fit a 280 hub now!

Oddly, the studs on this particular set of adapters... the Honda bolt pattern part... are threaded 12x1.25. Pain in the a3 as I can't use my original locking tuner lugs for those wheels and have to buy another set...! WHAT were they THINKING?!

tiny2.jpg

Big head + little arms...

"I don't think this plan was very well thought out!"